Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bexgrossman
    • By Bexgrossman 13th Nov 19, 9:32 AM
    • 135Posts
    • 41Thanks
    Bexgrossman
    Beat way for privacy on windows
    • 13th Nov 19, 9:32 AM
    Beat way for privacy on windows 13th Nov 19 at 9:32 AM
    Although Iím not on a main road, when people walk past my house they can see in my windows. I would like to keep my blinds open/let in light so Iím thinking of getting the windows frosted. https://www.purlfrost.com/frosted-window-film/

Iíve checked Amazon reviews and although they are mostly good, a few people have claimed itís shattered their window - but that would be due to the black Ďblack outí type.

Apart from planting some trees in front of the house - which will open a lot of problems, what else can I do? I just need/want the bottom glass covered, top is ok.
Page 1
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 13th Nov 19, 9:44 AM
    • 20,441 Posts
    • 47,384 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 13th Nov 19, 9:44 AM
    • 13th Nov 19, 9:44 AM
    We just bought some 'frosted' film from eBay for our patio doors for £20. The first door was a bit tricky but once we got the hang of it it was easy. Once it dried properly it looks just like frosted glass.

For the price we though it was worth a go, knowing if it looked awful we could take it off and re-think.

This kind of thing, although I'm not sure this is the actual one we got.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Privacy-Window-Film-Tint-Glass-Frosted-Tinting-Sticker-15-BONUS-Fitting-Tools/282945746626?hash=item41e0e176c2:m:mDCOg3RL9oTHAZ0 _qib2Fkg

Edit: I see your link is for the exact same thing, just a hell of a lot more expensive!!!!
    Last edited by peachyprice; 13-11-2019 at 9:46 AM.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 13th Nov 19, 11:32 AM
    • 4,053 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 13th Nov 19, 11:32 AM
    • 13th Nov 19, 11:32 AM
    I find that not only can people see in, but I can see out. I like it that way.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 13th Nov 19, 11:40 AM
    • 7,628 Posts
    • 24,575 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 13th Nov 19, 11:40 AM
    • 13th Nov 19, 11:40 AM
    We just bought some 'frosted' film from eBay for our patio doors for £20. The first door was a bit tricky but once we got the hang of it it was easy. Once it dried properly it looks just like frosted glass.

For the price we though it was worth a go, knowing if it looked awful we could take it off and re-think.

This kind of thing, although I'm not sure this is the actual one we got.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Privacy-Window-Film-Tint-Glass-Frosted-Tinting-Sticker-15-BONUS-Fitting-Tools/282945746626?hash=item41e0e176c2:m:mDCOg3RL9oTHAZ0 _qib2Fkg

Edit: I see your link is for the exact same thing, just a hell of a lot more expensive!!!!
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    We have something similar on our bathroom window. Works well, been on there for several years. Carefully fitted, you simply wouldn't know it was a film.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 13th Nov 19, 12:09 PM
    • 4,505 Posts
    • 4,073 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 13th Nov 19, 12:09 PM
    • 13th Nov 19, 12:09 PM
    What about good old-fashioned net curtains ? That's precisely what they were invented for.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Bexgrossman
    • By Bexgrossman 13th Nov 19, 12:17 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Bexgrossman
    • 13th Nov 19, 12:17 PM
    • 13th Nov 19, 12:17 PM
    What about good old-fashioned net curtains ? That's precisely what they were invented for.
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    Because they are old fashioned, don't keep with my current style/decor, look horrible (to me), require washing etc.
    • katieort
    • By katieort 14th Nov 19, 12:57 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    katieort
    • 14th Nov 19, 12:57 PM
    • 14th Nov 19, 12:57 PM
    I have just recently put up some frosted film on my front window for my dog who likes to bark at everything that walks past!
    It works really well and does the job great. Was easy to put up and can be removed easily too if needed. I got mine from amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RDVE71W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    • RelievedSheff
    • By RelievedSheff 14th Nov 19, 1:41 PM
    • 849 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    RelievedSheff
    • 14th Nov 19, 1:41 PM
    • 14th Nov 19, 1:41 PM
    We have a similar issue with our new house in that it is not set back very far from the road (about 1m down the side and about 2m along the front) but the house has windows on both sides facing the road.

They are great for letting in the light but anyone that walks past can see into the house. Luckily it isn't a busy road so there are not that many people walking past us.

We are torn because we really like the light that streams in and we also like being able to see out but we also would like some more privacy in particular in the kitchen diner. Due to the layout of the room the dining table is in front of the window that faces the road.

We would like something discreet that doesn't ruin the look of the house while still offering a degree of privacy.
    • Bexgrossman
    • By Bexgrossman 14th Nov 19, 1:49 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Bexgrossman
    • 14th Nov 19, 1:49 PM
    • 14th Nov 19, 1:49 PM
    I’ve seen blinds that offer privacy but reduce light. Good for sunny countries :/
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 14th Nov 19, 2:45 PM
    • 7,317 Posts
    • 7,901 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I used purlfrost on our porch and don't understand how anybody could claim it had shattered their window. It's only plastic film. I was fortunate in that I needed 4 separate panels so could learn on a small window first. It's not difficult to use, just requires care and patience.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 14th Nov 19, 2:58 PM
    • 5,805 Posts
    • 7,459 Thanks
    pimento
    What about something like this?

https://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/roller-blinds/1868/cloud-white.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAk7TuBRDQARIsAMRrfUYkqevc9 c7Wwp96Lw2k_ZfitqcOy15YJfmG9OSysRFpJlXNGKqGKb4aAmz gEALw_wcB
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • pimento
    • By pimento 14th Nov 19, 3:01 PM
    • 5,805 Posts
    • 7,459 Thanks
    pimento
    Or perhaps this?

https://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/enjoy-roller-blinds/20449/enjoy-dimout-glacier.html
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • jk0
    • By jk0 14th Nov 19, 3:07 PM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 27,091 Thanks
    jk0
    Venetian blinds surely? You just angle them slightly down on the outside, and no-one can see anything.
    • pimento
    • By pimento 14th Nov 19, 3:11 PM
    • 5,805 Posts
    • 7,459 Thanks
    pimento
    Venetian blinds surely? You just angle them slightly down on the outside, and no-one can see anything.
    Originally posted by jk0
    Yebbut dust!
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 14th Nov 19, 7:45 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 1,097 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Net curtains are the best for this. They don't have to look fuddy duddy and old fashioned, ours look great and do a superb job of letting light in but keeping prying eyes out.
    Frosted glass is pointless as you can't see out either. Blinds block out light if they are closed and people can see in if they are open so are pretty useless at that job.
    Venetian blinds attract too much dust.
    Nets are easily washed in the washing machine but hardly ever need washing anyway.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Bexgrossman
    • By Bexgrossman 14th Nov 19, 10:34 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Bexgrossman
    I think people are confused as to what u want to do with the window - I would only cover the bottom half, not the top.
    • Bexgrossman
    • By Bexgrossman 14th Nov 19, 10:38 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Bexgrossman
    I used purlfrost on our porch and don't understand how anybody could claim it had shattered their window. It's only plastic film. I was fortunate in that I needed 4 separate panels so could learn on a small window first. It's not difficult to use, just requires care and patience.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Check the google reviews https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/reviews/B01M3RT7MT/ref=cm_cr_unknown?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&pa geNumber=1
    In my opening post I think I mentioned it was mainly the black out film that had the issue
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 15th Nov 19, 12:05 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 1,241 Thanks
    pramsay13
    Are you sure people can see in?

Our house is right on the pavement so people walk past our living room window constantly.

When it is light outside the light reflects off the window so people can't see in unless they come right up to the window and peer in.

Every so often we catch people checking their hair / makeup etc. in the reflection on the window.

Once it gets darker outside and lights are on inside this changes so at that point we pull down the blinds.
    • happydays89
    • By happydays89 15th Nov 19, 3:17 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 2,169 Thanks
    happydays89
    We don’t have a front garden just a pavement right outside the window,when we had the windows replaced we had triple glazing and asked them to make the middle glass lightly frosted,so it lets the light in but no one can see in.
    On my sons downstairs bedroom window we found a roll of film that you apply with a spray bottle of water. You can see out but for people looking in its looks like a mirror.We purchased it from Aldi a few years ago,if it’s dark and you put a light on then people can see in.

Google. Window privacy film. A good selection appears.
    Last edited by happydays89; 15-11-2019 at 3:25 AM.
    • jk0
    • By jk0 15th Nov 19, 7:53 AM
    • 3,255 Posts
    • 27,091 Thanks
    jk0
    Yebbut dust!
    Originally posted by pimento

Never been a problem for me, and I don't dust mine!

I think it must be that I close them every night, so any little accumulation falls off. The bathroom blind comes down maybe every five years to be soaked in the bath with washing powder.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

286Posts Today

2,108Users online

Martin's Twitter