Does PIP get backdated to claim date?

Comments

• I called DWP And advised of a change of circumstances at Xmas time on my mobility needs. I was told they weren't making adjustments and to claim PIP with the change, which I did on the 23rd.Dec.

It has taken until now to receive my award letter after having to go through ESA (Doctors Visit) and support group award, this was then followed by pip (home visit) a few weeks ago.

I received my letter which awarded me the enhanced rate on both care and mobility, so my mobility was clearly reviewed. However, they are saying I am not entitled to it being backdated because I was on DLA (lower rate) mobility and (higher rate) care.

If I advised DWP of a change in circumstances in December and was told they weren't considering any new changes and to apply to PIP (which was my only reason for making an early claim to PIP) rather than wait for the form to come automatically.....then why am I not entitled for my backdate to be considered from my original 'change in circumstances' date?

The explanation of you can't receive DLA and PIP at the same time is confusing, surely the DLA should be backdated then to Xmas and PIP going forward??
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    no you're not.

if you had been reassessed under DLA, your award would only have increased from there date the decision was made and not the date you asked them to reconsider.

you wont get any backpayment
  • Taken from the below DWP web page

government/publications/the-personal-independence-payment-toolkit-for-partners/the-personal-independence-payment-pip-toolkit#how-individuals-make-a-claim-to-pip

How individuals make a claim to PIP
    To start a new PIP claim, contact the DWP through the details provided in the PIP claimant guide. This includes the details of a Next Generation Text (NGT) relay service and a British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service.

Once a claim has been made, DWP will register the claim and send the individual a ‘How your disability affects you’ (PIP2) form to fill in, together with an information booklet.

If the person is entitled to PIP, they will get paid from the date the claim is registered.

Find out more about the PIP claim process.

Where an individual cannot call us, or needs extra help and has no one to support them making a claim by telephone, they can ask us to send them a PIP1 claim form. :beer:
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    striker84 wrote: »
    Taken from the below DWP web page

government/publications/the-personal-independence-payment-toolkit-for-partners/the-personal-independence-payment-pip-toolkit#how-individuals-make-a-claim-to-pip

How individuals make a claim to PIP
    To start a new PIP claim, contact the DWP through the details provided in the PIP claimant guide. This includes the details of a Next Generation Text (NGT) relay service and a British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service.

Once a claim has been made, DWP will register the claim and send the individual a ‘How your disability affects you’ (PIP2) form to fill in, together with an information booklet.

If the person is entitled to PIP, they will get paid from the date the claim is registered.

Find out more about the PIP claim process.

Where an individual cannot call us, or needs extra help and has no one to support them making a claim by telephone, they can ask us to send them a PIP1 claim form. :beer:
    If you are unable to use the phone - email DCPUALTERNATIVE.FORMATTEAM@DWP.GSI.GOV.UK
    They, supposedly will make arrangements to get a form for you....
  • Hope I can ask this , I!!!8217;ve just won pip tribunal I rang for the claim march 2017 , on the tribunal paper work it says July 2017 so will that be when I will be back dated to or March 2017?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hope I can ask this , I!!!8217;ve just won pip tribunal I rang for the claim march 2017 , on the tribunal paper work it says July 2017 so will that be when I will be back dated to or March 2017?
    Was this a transfer from DLA? If so then you'll be backdated to the date of the decision and not the date you started the claim. If not then money is backdated to the start of your claim.
  • whambam
    whambam Posts: 508 Forumite
    Does pip still get backdated to phone call date or claim received date? is their a limit like 3 months?
  • poppy12345
    whambam wrote: »
    Does pip still get backdated to phone call date or claim received date? is their a limit like 3 months?
    It's always better to start your own thread. Asking questions on someone else's thread always causes confusion because people read the first post and answer that. This thread is almost 9 months old. With the amount of threads you've started then i would have thought you'd have been used to the by now.

To answer your question, if the person isn't transferring from DLA and the PIP is awarded successfully then it's backdated to the date they rang to start their claim.

If transferring from DLA there's no backdated money and PIP will start 3 weeks after the DLA ends.
  • Just in case no-one filled you in:

MR = Mandatory Review
  • poppy12345
    edited 15 November 2019 at 11:06AM
    MonkieMill wrote: »
    Just in case no-one filled you in:

MR = Mandatory Review
    Not sure why you brought up a very old thread. If the OP didn't know what an MR was they would have asked at the time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback