Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    • 10,422Posts
    • 58,367Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Daydream fund challenge part 4
    • 4th Oct 14, 10:37 AM
    Daydream fund challenge part 4 4th Oct 14 at 10:37 AM
    back in march 2009. this thread started, as I had daydreamed of having a smallholding for far too many years than I can remember.. since then, we are now on our 4th new thread.. and have a nice bunch of mse'rs who are at various stages of their dream... even if you ream is to have a plot of land, or a house with a nice garden.. join in, all are welcome..

here are the links to the other 3 threads
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1544047&highlight=daydream
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3812953&highlight=daydream

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4651793&highlight=daydream
    Last edited by COOLTRIKERCHICK; 04-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    Work to live= not live to work
Page 497
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 30th Oct 19, 8:15 AM
    • 29,981 Posts
    • 103,282 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Ah, last week was half term, wasn't it, alfie? No school buses to time my day with and no maniacal parents on the school run either. (Yes, most really do travel at least 10mph faster than average and I can hear the difference! )

Managed, at last, to get the new ride-on out and performing at the end of last week; it's the business all right! I can cut the whole place in 90 minutes, but not into all the corners, and it doesn't pick up either. Still, that means no stopping.

The change in the weather made me examine the chicken fences, especially the ones separating them from the sheep. My conclusion was that they wouldn't survive another few months, so I've spent 2 days belting-in posts behind the others and fixing them together with a wonderful product called builders band, which I recommend to bodgers everywhere: https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-builders-band-galvanised-dx275-9-6m-x-20mm/38619

In other news, I've had a shingles jab and our front wall wasn't painted at half term as we were promised. You may wonder why someone else wanted to paint our wall, but it was just part of the permanent misunderstanding our communal neighbours have over where their territory ends. They thought they were going to be painting their wall, so when it was suggested they should examine their title documents, they did that....then returned to say, "OK we'll paint your wall....and you can have white, 'cos we already have some old paint."

Hmm, not greatly enamoured with white, but it's free and easily painted-over, so we stopped what we were doing and got the wall prepared.....

My hens eat tomatoes, wellies, and they love mealworms, but caterpillars? Nope.

Lit the wood-burner last night for the first time. Don't think I can kid myself any longer that we're still in an Indian summer!
    We have removed your signature - Hmm....so you have.

The Warning: the most original and exciting new rock band on You Tube? You decide.
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 31st Oct 19, 5:57 PM
    • 5,822 Posts
    • 46,905 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all ....

it is bl**dy cold here especially at night so goodness knows how choille is faring !! hope you got plenty of logs for your burner XX

they have had some tree work done in lower 2 fields and oh boy is it churned up !! and a huge pile of woodchip left ? I asked why and they said they couldn't get the big trailer in the field as it sunk in the first 10ft ... so now have to find out if dangerous for the horses/sheep !! cant use 5 acres if dodgy and as bad weather forecast for the next week it aint going to be shifted for a while ......

I have farrier tomoz [early] so hope weather holds off till he has gone !

just had ny neighbours knock the door with their 4 yr old "scary spider" son who marched in and demanded to know what I was offering as a treat .... so funny !! they looked so embarrassed but I couldn't stop laughing so that help ease them !
    i carved some pumpkins [flaming dragons] and they are on the pillars on the track ... obviously didn't phase scary spiders !!

well happy Halloween xx
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 31st Oct 19, 11:13 PM
    • 29,981 Posts
    • 103,282 Thanks
    Davesnave
    they have had some tree work done in lower 2 fields and oh boy is it churned up !! and a huge pile of woodchip left ?
    so now have to find out if dangerous for the horses/sheep !!
    Originally posted by alfie 1
    I don't think sheep would eat it, as it's not green. Some of our youngsters have learned to eat apples now and they do chew the lower branches of the trees too, a bit, but they steer away from poisonous stuff like foxgloves. I can see where they've browsed all around those and left the leaves intact.

It was cold when the east winds blew, and it did nothing but mizzle all day today, when the breeze switched to the south, but I'm hopeful we'll get something better next week.

Anyway, the new mower cuts stuff whatever, though I didn't take it down to the bottom of the woodland near the stream, 'cos with the gradient, wet grass and mud I'd never get it out again!

I keep forgetting to pick the pears. Suddenly, we have half a dozen massive ones on a silly little tree we transplanted in the orchard about 8 years ago. It's not done much previously. No idea what they are, but they're 3x normal size.

The Warning: the most original and exciting new rock band on You Tube? You decide.
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 1st Nov 19, 11:38 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    in my wellies
    I've been taking mum out every day this week so feel very behind. Warm but damp here so I could get out. It looked cold so mum decided to stay in the warm - unfortunately my heating has needed to be on for her for a few weeks already. I have managed to replace most of my wood pile after the neighbour set fire to my well dried out stock but they won't be ready for a while. The new pile is nearer the house where I hope it'll be safer. Neighbour has replaced burnt hedge with 6 new fence panels so no need for me to nurture what remains of the hedge - less cutting - happy! It can't be seen from the house.

I planted up the pots with bulbs then the hens got through into the house garden and dug them all up. What a mess! They are laying well so all is forgiven. I need to check the hedge bottom.

I've been using frozen produce to make preserves. Making space in the freezer and to bulk up the veg boxes. It's a strange time of year and I have two new customers who are happy to have jam or pickle instead of veg/fruit. I though a few might stop for winter - I hinted even - but everyone is happy to continue for the time being.

My son has settled into his new house and although he has always enjoyed helping me outside he hasn't yet taken ownership/control of his garden yet. I picked/picked up about 60 Williams pears. I have bottled some but they don't freeze well.

Tomorrow my daughter is helping me re-felt the shed roof. An old cat used to sunbath up there and has clawed holes. Sadly the cat is gone but it does mean the new felt will last a good while.
    Last edited by in my wellies; 01-11-2019 at 11:43 PM.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 2nd Nov 19, 5:24 PM
    • 25,783 Posts
    • 106,354 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    This week has been good in terms of getting to work early/on time, as the neighbouring area decided to take two weeks for half term. I've had to spend some cash on a Proper Jacket, though - waterproof, padded, fleece lined, hooded and fits perfectly. I've never had a coat that's Just Right before (or, for that matter, any coat for the majority of the time) and I'm ridiculously overexcited about having one now.

Had to retrieve the wheelie bin a few times from down the road, but it's not been too bad a week - the sunrise clock is definitely proving its usefulness now, though - I heard my first Robin since the summer, but no starlings yet. Plenty of Parakeets and corvids all summer, which is certainly better than no birds at all - and we've had very little in the way of pests or angry stingy things.

Idiot Cat is in his second bout of paying rent, going by the pathetic specimen he nailed Sunday at 6am - the poor dear decided it was too cold to keep murdering it outside, so bellied in past me as I opened the door, dashing upstairs to deal with in the warmth of the bedroom. I chased him and his rodent friend straight back out again with a broom.

All was going well until Himself dropped a bombshell. 'Is it OK if my mum and sister come to stay for a couple of nights in December?'.

They're small, cute and just so bl**dy nice. In my house. And we'll have to offer them my bed, as they may be small, but there's two of them and MIL has always insisted that we have her bed when we've gone down there. So I can't say 'sofa or single bed?'. And they'll want to watch soap operas and **** like that.

I'll definitely confuse her, though. Because I have the heating on without an ounce of guilt - to a tropical 18 degrees, true - but I work hard enough to think that I deserve to be warm.

At least I'll be at work when they're here. Hopefully. Even if that does mean having to sleep surrounded by guitars and Stuff in the spare room. With two confused cats galloping around me because MIL won't have animals upstairs (so they will definitely be upstairs, just not where they are used to being - and they've always kept visitors company at night previously when friends have stayed).

But the house will need cleaning to within an inch of its life. Which Himself claims he'll do - but he hasn't exactly managed to do his share for the last six weeks, so I doubt that very much.

Maybe I could find a new hobby for their entire stay a couple of nights - or offer to help a friend with her primary school nativities/pantos?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 2nd Nov 19, 9:11 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    in my wellies
    No chance to repair the shed roof today so a day in the kitchen making pear chutney, green tomato chutney, quince jelly and bottled pears and small jars of bottled blackberries. I couldn't help my self so I finished off with a spiced pear chocolate upside down pudding for tomorrows lunch.

My daughter went out walking and returned with two large logs she found in fly tipped in a lay-by. She took a photo of the rubbish before she took them in case anyone passing thought she had dumped it and reported her. Three evenings fires sorted.

We lost a cat for a while then found him upstairs asleep on my bed. He almost never goes upstairs, that's the first time he's settled for a sleep in 15 years. I helped his mum deliver him so to me he's still a kitten - I can't believe I should be buying senior food for him. I only remember him bringing two rabbits home this year. In the past he's caught so many I didn't need to feed him for weeks in a row.

Tomorrow - repair shed roof, find where hens get through into garden, pick and sort last of the apples
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 5th Nov 19, 11:39 AM
    • 5,822 Posts
    • 46,905 Thanks
    alfie 1
    its a hard life when one gets to drive THIS ......

https://i.postimg.cc/MKj2YxpP/thumbnail-IMG-2497-1.jpg
    • lucielle
    • By lucielle 5th Nov 19, 5:00 PM
    • 8,223 Posts
    • 35,460 Thanks
    lucielle
    OOOH very nice
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 59875.83 Overdrafts 2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!! 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 6th Nov 19, 8:49 AM
    • 29,981 Posts
    • 103,282 Thanks
    Davesnave
    its a hard life when one gets to drive THIS ......
    https://i.postimg.cc/MKj2YxpP/thumbnail-IMG-2497-1.jpg
    I'd be terrified of scratching it in the lanes around here.....and anyway, where do you put all the supplies you pick up from the farmers' store?

DD1 is on her third car in as many months. People have driven into her twice, and the dashcam has been worth its weight in insurance paperwork. Sam is somewhat nervous now about travelling. With us, he kept pointing out, "This road isn't wide enough for two cars!"

Once, I tried to lighten things by saying, "Ah, but Mummy got a better car out of each accident she had."

There was silence for a moment, then a voice replied, "And I got a new red bike, with gears!"

Not sure how that worked....

• in my wellies
    • By in my wellies 7th Nov 19, 12:54 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    in my wellies
    I'd be terrified of scratching it in the lanes around here.....and anyway, where do you put all the supplies you pick up from the farmers' store?
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Likewise and I can confirm that I can sleep very comfortably in the back of my 7 year old Honda Jazz (more modern ones have an uncomfortable ridge at about hip level - very poor design)
    • alfie 1
    • By alfie 1 9th Nov 19, 6:36 PM
    • 5,822 Posts
    • 46,905 Thanks
    alfie 1
    hi all ,
    I am assuming you are all getting deluged with rain as we are !!
    doesn't seem to stop for long ...just long enough to get a few jobs done then off it goes again ...

hope you are not eating now .... I awoke to find 2 out of 3 of my dogs had had an upset stomach in the night !!!! needless to say they looked mortified and you cant tell them off ...
    carpet cleaning duty tomorrow !

I think I have said we [3 of us ladies ] meet each week to build / gossip / tinker with dolls houses etc . well for the last couple of months we have been building a TEA ROOMS . we have 95% completed it and have donated it to our local cat and kitten rescue . they will have it in their shop window till raffled in December . ive had lots of tickets printed and we hope in the next 5/6 weeks we can sell lots of tickets . donations [s] are always low after xmas so hopefully will keep the coffers going . when it is finished [tomorrow] I will post some pics .

it was my mums birthday today , 88 ..... took her for a drive in the forest to see the lovely colours and then to an old pub for lunch . she is so good for her age .. few blips [her words] along the way but otherwise still got her marbles ....

ive had my chimney swept and the guy said "but you have a lot of tar on the bricks and that's dodgy , I can let off a blast of a chemical to coat it and then every time you have a fire it will help disintergrate the tar , only another 50 " have any of you'se been told this ?

stay safe peeps and fingers crossed for Yorkshire !
    • choille
    • By choille 9th Nov 19, 7:16 PM
    • 7,893 Posts
    • 34,340 Thanks
    choille
    Happy Birthday to Mum Alfie. It's good she's still sharp as a tack.

Very cold here but gloriously bright & dry this past few days. hail the other day & the tops are a bit white and the wind is biting.

Was away down to the middle belt for a few days to a wedding which was lovely & made a change. Collie Wobble was in kennels and did not like it one bit.

Not doing much at the moment but just the basics.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Nov 19, 6:48 PM
    • 29,981 Posts
    • 103,282 Thanks
    Davesnave
    ive had my chimney swept and the guy said "but you have a lot of tar on the bricks and that's dodgy , I can let off a blast of a chemical to coat it and then every time you have a fire it will help disintergrate the tar , only another 50 " have any of you'se been told this ?

No. We have a flue now, and finally, a good sweep, but he's not said anything about tar. He does go up on the roof and clean the bird cage on the cowl, which gets very tarred-up over a season. Too much slumbering the fire, I suppose, but you don't always want a blast furnace!

We're currently heating the house on dull days with the logs I cut the winter before last, but if it's sunny, we don't need anything till dark, especially with the conservatory doors open. Boiler kicks in early and late when we want it, just for an hour or so, but the woodburner and the sun usually do most of the work till around Christmas.
    Anyway, for 50, one can buy a lot of magic powder:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stovax-Protector-Flue-Chimney-Cleaner/dp/B0036D3XQQ

Reviews seem reasonable, but it seems the pros use something else:
    https://bristlesweep.co.uk/tar-removal/

Using a flail or rotary brush is something I'd avoid if I could. Last chap who did that here ripped out the stuff in the joint and the flue pipe leaked.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 10-11-2019 at 6:57 PM.

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Nov 19, 10:01 PM
    • 29,981 Posts
    • 103,282 Thanks
    Davesnave
    stay safe peeps and fingers crossed for Yorkshire !
    I don't think it worked.

It seems areas in the middle of the country have been having floods in the past few winters, while we down here have largely escaped since 2012, with the special exception of the Somerset Levels and the railway at Dawlish in 2014. It's all very random.

We've already clocked up winds of 100+mph on the SW coast this autumn, and there's been minor damage at Dawlish again despite them spending 35m on the sea defences.

Here, the rivers have stayed within their banks, just about, and Network Rail have the line closed currently for upgrading....well, that's their word for it. Apparently, they cut down a couple of Pete's trees in error! Pete's good at negotiation though, so I've just ordered 12 new trees for him, paid for by the railway!

Over on the other side of the world, our ex-builder must be worrying, as the wildfire risk intensifies around the Sydney hinterland. It's only the start of their dry season, so what things will be like in 3 months, I dread to think. We can now look at a satellite image, which now includes the house he's still finishing, but the green landscape he showed us in dozens of photos when he bought the plot, is no longer to be seen. It's all very concerning.

• Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Nov 19, 8:48 AM
    • 29,981 Posts
    • 103,282 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Brrr! We have a predicted max of 4c today, plus another band of rain sweeping across all day, some snow on Dartmoor and the rivers are full. It doesn't bode well...

T'other end of the month looks better, though.

Like the election then: promises, promises. But when some serious action's required that any idiot could see would have benefited all concerned, what happens? Sod all....for days. Glad the photo opportunities were well and truly shafted by the locals!

Last night, DW found the main road blocked by two fallen trees and had to do a 5 mile detour to get home. Knowing where they were, I expect Pete & son were called out to that and they're now safely stacked. Maybe we'll get to burn them in 2023, but I won't hold my breath, as Pete's been rather tardy with log deliveries lately. I can see the pile I made in 2017 is going down a bit now, but 2 months worth of free heat is still good.

When's the winter fuel allowance due? I need a new cement mixer. I've thrashed our 37 year old model, Basil Fawlty style, but it's no good!

• mufi
    • By mufi 14th Nov 19, 6:09 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    mufi

When's the winter fuel allowance due? I need a new cement mixer. I've thrashed our 37 year old model, Basil Fawlty style, but it's no good!
    Depends on the first letter of your surname - mine (first letter D) turned up in my bank account on 22 November last year.

Mine goes on gin to be shared with the offspring (as long as they stop moaning about baby boomers for a second or two); far more satisfactory than a cement mixer
    • choille
    • By choille 14th Nov 19, 9:34 PM
    • 7,893 Posts
    • 34,340 Thanks
    choille
    Snow covering on the tops here & roads iced this morning - all the goats are down off the hill so that's Winter here now.

Pretty cold over the East today when we ventured across but dry & bright as copper. Trees look stunning but the rest of the leaves will be off soon. Good ancient beech wood where I go with collie wobble looks stunning.

My energy levels at zero. Little getting done apart from basic stuff.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Nov 19, 11:07 PM
    • 29,981 Posts
    • 103,282 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Depends on the first letter of your surname - mine (first letter D) turned up in my bank account on 22 November last year.
    Mine goes on gin to be shared with the offspring (as long as they stop moaning about baby boomers for a second or two); far more satisfactory than a cement mixer
    Originally posted by mufi
    Ah, thanks. Looks like mine might arrive before the end of the month then.
    Cement mixers are a necessary evil for building Baby Boomers, because hand mixing in a barrow is hard on old bodies, besides resulting an an inferior product. That's a lot of 'bs!' ....No, not BS!

It's not been a great day for weather, or news. Had a card this morning telling me an old friend, aged 98, is no longer with us. A live wire, who saw action as a fighter pilot in WW2, he was my last link with that era. Died at home with all his family around him, just as he wished.

The second person we've just lost used to deliver the softwood logs. A young farmer's wife, who sometimes had trouble with their machine, she'd produce some monster specimens and apologise profusely. I'd groan but forgive her, because she had such a cheerful, sunny disposition. Being a typically fit-looking country girl, often with two mischievous children in tow, it must have been a huge shock to the family ...Sudden brain aneurysm, I think.

There was some ice on the Link Road north of here this morning and a few vehicles came to grief. It's early, so I expect the gritters weren't sent out. Rivers stayed within their banks, just about, and things should ease a little now.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 15-11-2019 at 5:22 AM.

• mufi
    • By mufi 19th Nov 19, 7:13 AM
    • 615 Posts
    • 659 Thanks
    mufi
    Dave, just checked and mine's gone into the bank this morning.

Is it gin o'clock yet?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Nov 19, 10:02 AM
    • 29,981 Posts
    • 103,282 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Is it gin o'clock yet?
    Originally posted by mufi
    Thanks for the heads-up. Mine's gone in today too,
    No gin, (or in my case whisky) I'm afraid. Had the hedges cut on Sunday and this year it was double what it cost in 2018, due to this being the heavier cut year. We're on a 3 year rolling programme of 2 light cuts and one heavy now, as recommended by various wildlife bodies.

Just (finally!)had a weird communication from Santander agreeing that we had PPI with an old Abbey National account, but treating the complaint I thought we'd already made as an 'enquiry.'

So, we now have 12 weeks to complain because, "We will not automatically convert an enquiry into a complaint for you."

Hmm, slippery as a box of frogs that lot! They needn't worry, we'll send a complaint all right; the only reason we had the PPI was because their employee, Scott, assured us it was part of the application process and "wouldn't be activated" because he would cancel it for us. Yeah, right.

I was a suspicious so & so, even in those days, so I kept a note, checked at some point and cancelled it myself, before it had run too long, but there's a few bob in there. Grrrr!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 19-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,081Posts Today

6,989Users online

Martin's Twitter