Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • warren29
    • By warren29 14th Nov 19, 9:44 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    warren29
    Business Insurance- Cleaning Company
    • 14th Nov 19, 9:44 AM
    Business Insurance- Cleaning Company 14th Nov 19 at 9:44 AM
    Hi There,
    I am starting my own household cleaning business. I am looking to employ self-employed cleaners who provide their own public liability insurance. I will be finding the work and liaising with the clients, they will pay the cleaner direct and I will take a handling fee. What type of insurance may I need?
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 14th Nov 19, 7:19 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 779 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 14th Nov 19, 7:19 PM
    • 14th Nov 19, 7:19 PM
    You'll need PL for your company, and assuming you will be using true BFSC insurers may ask for you to ensure the BFSC insurance matches your own, with an indemnity to principle clause.

If the Contractors doing the work could be classed as Labour Only, you'll need EL cover too.

Ask any half decent (not Swinton) broker, who will know who offers Cleaning Contractors insurance.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 14th Nov 19, 8:28 PM
    • 26,235 Posts
    • 13,402 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 14th Nov 19, 8:28 PM
    • 14th Nov 19, 8:28 PM
    My2p worth - you should not rely on your employee's public liability insurance - they represent your company - you should have the insurance.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 14th Nov 19, 10:41 PM
    • 8,763 Posts
    • 9,148 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 14th Nov 19, 10:41 PM
    • 14th Nov 19, 10:41 PM
    The way you describe it, the clients will have a contract with you, and you will sub-contract to the cleaners.

So it will be you that the clients sue, if something goes wrong.

You could structure things differently to avoid that, if you want. For example, the clients have contracts with the cleaners - and you are just the introducer / interface. (And the cleaners pay you a fee for doing that.)

I guess you could also take payments from clients on behalf of the cleaners, if you want.

But then you have to think about things like when a client pays by card over the phone, the cleaner does the cleaning, then the bank takes the money back - because the card was stolen / unauthorised.

Who suffers the loss - you or the cleaner?

Edit to add...

Whichever way you go, you're probably going to need some carefully throught through contracts.
    Last edited by eddddy; 14-11-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,477Posts Today

7,405Users online

Martin's Twitter