Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daveleics
    • By daveleics 8th Oct 18, 8:51 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    daveleics
    0 WOW
    TUI plane seat reservation
    • 8th Oct 18, 8:51 AM
    0 WOW
    TUI plane seat reservation 8th Oct 18 at 8:51 AM
    Am I the only one in thinking that TUIs plane seat reservation policy is a complete scam? For those who don't know, if you book a holiday with TUI, they give you the option of reserving your seat on the plane, way before travelling, to ensure you are sitting next to your loved ones. This, however, costs £20 per person (both ways) so the bigger your family, the more you have to pay.

The fear of not sitting next to your family is the driving factor here as everyone feels compelled to reserve their seats. also, not everyone has or can use a computer, so this policy discriminates against them because those who can, will always be able to reserve their seats first (TUI call every passenger asking them, but not until much later).

I have consistently refused to reserve my seat on principle and have still sat next to my family on the plane, so this just seems like a rather nasty emotional blackmail to squeeze money out of holiday makers based on 'how much their family is worth'. Disgusting. Are there any other airlines that do this? Shouldn't the consumer watchdog be looking into it? - I'm just surprised there's not more of an uproar about it.
Page 5
    • STAFFORDSHIRE LASS
    • By STAFFORDSHIRE LASS 13th Nov 19, 1:14 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    STAFFORDSHIRE LASS
    I paid to pre select extra legroom seats - tui have changed them!
    Even when you pay, you may find you cannot sit together. Tui!

Can you believe it? I am travelling to a wedding and there are only 8 of us. We paid to sit together in extra legroom seats. Thought we would celebrate, get in the mood etc.,.... Had an email stating the seats have been changed. Tui have changed the aircraft so we were dispersed throughout the plane. On the return flight, rather than being in a row, the bride, groom and their two children are all seated behind each other. It is a long haul, night flight. One of the children is only young.

Tui offer a select a seat service, charge you for it, then change it. The only response so far is to all downgrade. However, the seats don't open until 90 days before flight.

Any ideas folks? Tui should have a contingency when passengers lose seats re operational reasons. Not according to the store though. Wish I had booked with Virgin now. I would like to cancel the holiday, but am told I will lose deposits.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 13th Nov 19, 7:53 AM
    • 924 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Not worth losing a deposit over, just swap among yourself and ensure a child is next to an adult. Given you will probably all be asleep anyway (assuming you are coming back from the States/Mexico/Caribbean).....

Obviously get the money back for the reservations as well.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 13th Nov 19, 9:21 AM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Even when you pay to select seats they are only requests. It's the same with all airlines. Virgin are the same. They change seats as well. Be thankful they told you. Lot's of airlines don't. It's just one reason why you should check your bookings regularly.

As far as TUI are concerned you are still sitting together. If you're not in like for like seats eg window for window, then you are entitled to the premium back that you paid for seat selection. As it's included in the extra legroom premium you would be entitled to the cost of standard seat selection.

Extra legroom seats are not an upgrade. They're still just standard seats but with a maximum of 2" extra legroom
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Nov 19, 9:36 AM
    • 24,096 Posts
    • 64,834 Thanks
    Pollycat

Can you believe it? I am travelling to a wedding and there are only 8 of us. We paid to sit together in extra legroom seats. Thought we would celebrate, get in the mood etc.,.... Had an email stating the seats have been changed. Tui have changed the aircraft so we were dispersed throughout the plane. On the return flight, rather than being in a row, the bride, groom and their two children are all seated behind each other. It is a long haul, night flight. One of the children is only young.

Tui offer a select a seat service, charge you for it, then change it. The only response so far is to all downgrade. However, the seats don't open until 90 days before flight.

Any ideas folks? Tui should have a contingency when passengers lose seats re operational reasons. Not according to the store though. Wish I had booked with Virgin now. I would like to cancel the holiday, but am told I will lose deposits.
    Originally posted by STAFFORDSHIRE LASS
    What are the 4 seat numbers?
    How old are the children?
    Is the youngest not sat immediately in front, immediately behind or across the aisle from one of the party?
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 13th Nov 19, 11:02 AM
    • 5,429 Posts
    • 11,292 Thanks
    minimad1970

I thought that had changed and you could now choose your seats when booking.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 13th Nov 19, 12:42 PM
    • 1,744 Posts
    • 1,229 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    I thought that had changed and you could now choose your seats when booking.
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    Not for standard seats, only extra legroom and extra space seats. Standard seats are still 90 days prior to inbound flight.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 13th Nov 19, 1:54 PM
    • 2,105 Posts
    • 1,544 Thanks
    Westin
    What actual seat numbers have you selected/been allocated? Whilst the bride, groom and two children are behind each other, between the group of eight, you can swap between yourselves.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 13th Nov 19, 2:08 PM
    • 6,324 Posts
    • 5,755 Thanks
    mgdavid

8 people who want to 'celebrate and get in the mood etc' - on a longhaul night flight??
    The other passengers will no doubt be grateful that TUI have split you up!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 13th Nov 19, 3:45 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    Jeez - thanks for the support guys!?
    Originally posted by daveleics
    Itís not a scam, if you donít want it donít buy it, simples, no one is holding a gun against your head and forcing you to buy it
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 13th Nov 19, 3:49 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Itís not a scam, if you donít want it donít buy it, simples, no one is holding a gun against your head and forcing you to buy it
    Originally posted by interstellaflyer
    He posted that months ago and flounced off because nobody agreed with him, doubt he will see it.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 13th Nov 19, 4:05 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    He posted that months ago and flounced off because nobody agreed with him, doubt he will see it.
    Originally posted by bradders1983
    Yeah I realised afterwards that it was an old thread
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • maman
    • By maman 13th Nov 19, 5:34 PM
    • 20,967 Posts
    • 124,295 Thanks
    maman
    8 people who want to 'celebrate and get in the mood etc' - on a longhaul night flight??
    The other passengers will no doubt be grateful that TUI have split you up!
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    I wondered that too, particularly when I read that two of them were the young children of the couple getting married.

On the more general point of paying for seats, it does seem to be getting a bit silly. DH and I have always paid for aisle seat on easyjet just behind the more expensive front ones (about rows 9 or 10).

Last week I booked a flight to Amsterdam with Flybe from my local airport. They wanted the best part of £18 for a seat anywhere on the aircraft. I'll just have to manage for an hour or so without my beloved.
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 14th Nov 19, 7:04 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 2,763 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    Can you believe it? I am travelling to a wedding and there are only 8 of us. We paid to sit together in extra legroom seats. Thought we would celebrate, get in the mood etc.,.... Had an email stating the seats have been changed. Tui have changed the aircraft so we were dispersed throughout the plane.
    Good for TUI. Nothing worse for neighbouring passengers than a group who decide to start the party early and get on board already tipsy and loud, only to carry on drinking in a confined space where nobody can escape them!
    • iwb100
    • By iwb100 20th Nov 19, 2:44 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    iwb100
    You pay for the privilege of choosing your own seat. But what you do is "request" where you'd like to sit and ultimately the carriers decide if they can honour that.

I have no issue with it - apart from the cost of doing it creeps ever upwards. But I do it to choose where we sit. I find the people who don't pay and then inconvenience those who have by demanding they sit together, delaying things or forcing those who have paid to move - those people are the worst. If you didn't pay - you should have zero chance to move seats from those allocated to you. Regardless of the circumstances. And if you complain you should be immediately ejected from the flight.
    • le_veilleur
    • By le_veilleur 20th Nov 19, 3:50 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    le_veilleur
    This article on skyscanners suggests I'm not alone:

79-won-t-pay-reserve-plane-seat:

"More than 500 people voted in the poll, with the majority saying they wouldnít part with any extra money just to reserve their seat. 32% claimed it was just another Ďrip offí tactic; 28% said reserved seating should be a basic right on all flights, and 20% said theyíd rather travel with another airline that allows passengers to choose a seat for free."
    Originally posted by daveleics
    Doesn't matter what the poll says and what are its results. As long as people are willing to pay for the seat allocation; airlines are going to charge for it. I don't think that it's fair, but let's be real.
    • le_veilleur
    • By le_veilleur 20th Nov 19, 3:53 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    le_veilleur

Surely an aircraft is the place to celebrate and get in the mood.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,139Posts Today

6,257Users online

Martin's Twitter