Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 1st Nov 19, 7:46 PM
    • 3,142Posts
    • 3,375Thanks
    littleredhen
    0 WOW
    Campervan/motorhome or not
    • 1st Nov 19, 7:46 PM
    0 WOW
    Campervan/motorhome or not 1st Nov 19 at 7:46 PM
    I have a small amount of cash and am thinking about buying a campervan/motorhome but don't really know if I am wasting my money.
    I get long school holidays so plenty of time off but wondering if the cost of buying a campervan/motorhome could be spent on holidays instead as they aren't cheap - not planning on buying new so thinking maximum budget £17,000. Anyone any experiences they would like to share to help me make up my mind.
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 1st Nov 19, 8:05 PM
    • 10,347 Posts
    • 5,358 Thanks
    missile
    • 1st Nov 19, 8:05 PM
    • 1st Nov 19, 8:05 PM
    Some people like them.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 1st Nov 19, 8:41 PM
    • 7,702 Posts
    • 10,006 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 1st Nov 19, 8:41 PM
    • 1st Nov 19, 8:41 PM
    Have you been on holidays in one before? Maybe hire one and give it a go, first.

I think the advantages are that you can have your own stuff and customise to your own preferences in terms of what you want to have with you, and it does potentially make it easier to go away at short notice and relatively cheaply.

BUT you have a big upfront cost, and the cost of maintaining a second vehicle - and £17,000 could buy you quite a few other holidays.
    • FtbDreaming
    • By FtbDreaming 1st Nov 19, 9:04 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    FtbDreaming
    • 1st Nov 19, 9:04 PM
    • 1st Nov 19, 9:04 PM
    I have a caravan. It is only a £100 banger but I love it and have had at least 20 weekends away in the 15 months weve had it. If you have the money id say yes but maybe get a cgeaper one first to check that you actually like it, although to be honest they don't really deprecate in value that much so if you bought one and didnt like it you'd probably be able to sell it on again.

We're going away in ours tomorrow for the night to a halloween party.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 2nd Nov 19, 4:03 AM
    • 5,238 Posts
    • 9,856 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 2nd Nov 19, 4:03 AM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 4:03 AM
    You can hire a motor home fairly easily. That will give you an idea of whether you want to buy one.

You also need to consider where you want to go. We have lived in the South West for 15 years and seen many motor homes stuck on unsuitable roads.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 2nd Nov 19, 7:41 AM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    fred246
    • 2nd Nov 19, 7:41 AM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 7:41 AM
    I don't know where the current obsession with motorhomes comes from. Caravans are superior in almost every respect. Their running costs are virtually zero while motorhomes need their own insurance, MOT, servicing. When you get to your destination the caravan comes off and you've got your family car to travel in. Caravans are really cost effective. Motorhomes are money pits.
    • Seanymph
    • By Seanymph 2nd Nov 19, 8:47 AM
    • 2,761 Posts
    • 18,249 Thanks
    Seanymph
    • 2nd Nov 19, 8:47 AM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 8:47 AM
    Travelling in Europe with a motorhome is either ridiculously cheap or free. In the UK then the caravan argument wins really - the bonus with a motorhome is that if you visit somewhere with it (say a theme park with your kids, or a national trust property) you pull up, have a nice cup of tea, can pop back and make yourself lunch - and sometimes stay right nearby without driving at the end of the day.

We have one, spend most of our time travelling in Europe and staying at Aires, and love it. It's ready to go, has all the home comforts - and it doesn't matter if you are driving to the beach for along walk and coming back to it for a slow cooked lunch or taking a month to explore Holland....
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 2nd Nov 19, 1:14 PM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 3,375 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 2nd Nov 19, 1:14 PM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 1:14 PM
    Thanks everyone I definitely don't want a caravan, there is just me and the dog and I would like to escape at weekends to the seaside and then tour during the long school holidays, not necessarily staying at sites maybe more wild camping

• fred246
    • By fred246 2nd Nov 19, 2:56 PM
    • 1,897 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    fred246
    • 2nd Nov 19, 2:56 PM
    • 2nd Nov 19, 2:56 PM
    If you can get one that fits in a normal parking space and gets under height barriers (lots of places are traveller proofed) then things get easier. There are lots of small motorhomes. Have you seen the Amdro boot jumps? They have always looked interesting for someone like you. Hope the dog isn't massive. I know someone who bought a van that someone had converted. You couldn't stand up in it so he couldn't get dressed. He quickly got rid of it. He then bought a converted MPV that he is very happy with. They do keep their value very well.
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 2nd Nov 19, 7:03 PM
    • 3,142 Posts
    • 3,375 Thanks
    littleredhen
    If you can get one that fits in a normal parking space and gets under height barriers (lots of places are traveller proofed) then things get easier. There are lots of small motorhomes. Have you seen the Amdro boot jumps? They have always looked interesting for someone like you. Hope the dog isn't massive. I know someone who bought a van that someone had converted. You couldn't stand up in it so he couldn't get dressed. He quickly got rid of it. He then bought a converted MPV that he is very happy with. They do keep their value very well.
    Originally posted by fred246
    No dog is a sprocker (springer/cocker cross)

• Mrs Arthur Crown
    • By Mrs Arthur Crown 2nd Nov 19, 7:19 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    Mrs Arthur Crown
    We have had our Mazda Bongo since 2008. Not only do we camp in it but it's our day to day car (it's getting on a bit in years and fuel consumption isn't great) but we have convinced ourselves that it is offset by us not needing to go in cafes and the like.

We have a diesel auto with the electric lifting roof (Auto Free Top). Friends of ours have a petrol version, with the normal roof (a "bongolow"!!!!).

I know you've said you don't want a caravan - we had one for eight years which we towed with the Bongo but we had a few worrying moments with cross winds and the like, and the "what if we have to stay on at the campsite for a couple of days until the wind subsides" moments.

Get yourself a Bongo ……….. you really won't regret it. A Very Versatile Vehicle!!

There's a great community of Bongonauts (with a forum) at Bongo Fury. We've made lots of friends in the past 11 years
    • martindow
    • By martindow 4th Nov 19, 5:12 PM
    • 8,353 Posts
    • 4,886 Thanks
    martindow
    For me the biggest problem with motorhomes is that if you want to pop out somewhere you have to pack everything up. I suppose if you are super tidy or you will not be wanting or needing to leave a site very often they could suit you.
    • Paula Smith
    • By Paula Smith 5th Nov 19, 4:45 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    Paula Smith
    You could do worse than a Mazda Bongo - the only downside is that they are an import from Japan so some spare parts can be hard to get hold of and some garages wont look at imports.

VW Transporters are well supported and not too bad on depreciation.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 5th Nov 19, 4:52 PM
    • 10,446 Posts
    • 36,851 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Please try a motorhome first. Have a shower, do the washing up, empty and fill the appropriate tanks.

Then try rushing the dog to the vet & examine the internal disruption after - if you are a compulsively tidy soul, there should be little other than sloshed water from the dog bowl.

If you are towards the Dig end of the spectrum there will be cooking equipment rolling on the floor amidst left out ingredients, fruit bruised at best & squished on things at worst & if you've clobbered something in your understandable hurry, you may need to get a tank sealed.

I'm firmly of the holiday in comfort school & did not succeed at that with a motorhome.
    • Supatramp
    • By Supatramp 12th Nov 19, 5:22 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Supatramp
    As a caravanner of over 40 years, motorhomes are not for me. You have to put everything away before you can move a wheel, and as an owner of a large twin-axle caravan, I like my home comforts.

However, they are obviously very popular and come in various sizes, from the more basic van conversions to the coachbuilts. I would strongly recommend that you hire one first. Look around, decide what you'd think you'd prefer, van conversion versus coachbuilt, then hire one. It would obviously be new(ish) but it would give you an idea, and whether you'd really like it.

One thing to bear in mind, and has been mentioned previously, a van conversion would probably get you through most height barriers, a coachbuilt probably wouldn't.
    David.
    • The Book-keeper
    • By The Book-keeper 12th Nov 19, 9:42 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    The Book-keeper
    Motorhoming - a way of life!
    A very useful, fun & informative site is
    www.motorhomefun.co.uk
    Lots of good information & help - can't recommend it enough!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

4,034Users online

Martin's Twitter