CyclistDreams - House deposit diary

Comments

• Hi Cyclistdreams. Well done on your savings so far, you're doing really well.

Congratulations on the MOT (and your lottery win :D).

bln
  • Thanks Bln :)
  • Glad to hear your car passed its MOT. :T

I am up at 5am to sort the dog before work at 6.30 so I can relate to your early start at 4.30am but I couldn't cycle all that way :rotfl:
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Trick is to get all the kit ready the night before, so I can just get out of bed, dressed and outside before i know what's going on haha. The cats didn't know what was happening the first time i got up though!
  • Cyclistdreams
    Cyclistdreams Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 September 2019 at 9:21AM
    So, today is payday :)

Been quite a good month for savings, managed to save the following:

£110 into the car maintenance pot
    £103 into the emergency pot
    £405 into the house fund
    £50 towards Christmas
    £20 for bike maintenance
    £30 into my fun fund
    £25 into S&S ISA

My misses has paid me back part of her share of the holiday, so that's £200 put back into the house pot.

Also paid the remainder of my share of the holiday off, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. That was £440.

House savings pot is now at £41988/£42000. Overall, £41988/£48000 or 87% of the way there.

44 hours in the overtime pot banked for this month, and got another 9:30 hours to add to it after I work tomorrow's shift.

Total saved by biking to work this month is currently standing at £48.62. Should end up saving more than the £54.34 last month by the end of the month, but had a couple of days off commuting due to needing to replace some bearings on the bike so slightly disappointed it's not higher. Also, just been told I can work from home a couple of days a week going forwards, so that will lower the total saved figure, but that's a win win all round as it's less trips to the office!
  • Well done on great savings! That is some serious overtime. It's great that you have the option of working from home. More savings in the future too. :beer:
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Thanks very much :)
  • You have done really well saving so much. I think being able to work from home is a bonus, less mileage on the car and less cycling in the dark, wind and rain !

Is your girlfriend buying with you, or moving in with you ? If so should help with costs but make sure you protect your share. Hear many horror stories of people losing half their investment if they split. Sorry don't mean to be negative :o

Stay safe on that bike now the weather has turned :D
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • You have done really well saving so much. I think being able to work from home is a bonus, less mileage on the car and less cycling in the dark, wind and rain !

Is your girlfriend buying with you, or moving in with you ? If so should help with costs but make sure you protect your share. Hear many horror stories of people losing half their investment if they split. Sorry don't mean to be negative :o

Stay safe on that bike now the weather has turned :D

I think the thing i'm most looking forwards to is the longer lie ins and being able to work in my PJs! Still got to go into the office most days for meetings etc, but even 1 day WFH will be great :) And yes, the weather has certainly turned these last couple of weeks! Wet and windy everyday :(

Nah, she isn't buying with me. It's all my savings, so it'll be my house when i get it. She'll be welcome to come over anytime she wants too, but I've never lived alone before so it will be nice to give it a go. I'm sure she will end up moving in eventually, but yes, you're right - Got to protect my investment! No need to apologise, i've been thinking about that side of things quite a bit!
  • atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Well done on the savings! I work from home occasionally and it's such a treat to not have a commute :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback