Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • z1a
    • By z1a 15th Sep 19, 3:07 PM
    • 2,380Posts
    • 2,450Thanks
    z1a
    0 WOW
    Air conditioning for free by accident!
    • 15th Sep 19, 3:07 PM
    0 WOW
    Air conditioning for free by accident! 15th Sep 19 at 3:07 PM
    Just returned from a 2 week stay on Kos, one of the first questions we were asked on checking in a hotel was "Do you want air-con? at a price of Ä140". - Ä5 per night per room.
    I said we will decide after first night when we see if needed.
    As OH was unpacking I was mooching around apartment and I could see that 2 of the circuit breakers in consumer unit were tripped. Unit was accessible behind a clear perspex door that was just clipped shut, not locked. Purely out of interest I reset them and air-con units started up, temperature was controllable on keypad, so remote control not needed.
    Air-con was needed BTW, so left it on expecting to be charged at checkout, however receptionist checked our room bill at the end of stay, nothing owing, so good result, did feel guilty though, but they should lock the cabinets.
    Did re-trip them as we left.
    Would you have volunteered to pay if not asked?
Page 2
    • Calpol4life
    • By Calpol4life 15th Sep 19, 10:19 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Calpol4life
    Similarly - you can get ‘free’ beer if you go behind the bar and steal it, or ‘free’ towels if you happen upon an unattended cleaning lady’s cart....

#lifehacks
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 15th Sep 19, 11:01 PM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 4,546 Thanks
    JReacher1
    I think everyone is being a bit sanctimonious.

It’s turning the A/C on in the room, it’s not really anything to get too excited about.

Many hotels in holiday resorts charge you for A/c. If the resort is charging for it they need a better system than just doing it via a circuit breaker. I would be amazed if the OP is the first person who has done this.
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Sep 19, 12:12 AM
    • 20,994 Posts
    • 124,379 Thanks
    maman
    'Turning it on.. via a circuit breaker' is now the new normal! Soon it will be bypassing the meter will be the best value energy company. Get real.

OP cheated the hotel and decided to start a thread about it.

It's not the worst crime in the world but hardly something to be proud of. I'd say something akin to fare dodging or sitting in first class when you'd not paid.

If I'd done it I'd keep quiet about it.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Sep 19, 7:53 AM
    • 24,121 Posts
    • 64,884 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think everyone is being a bit sanctimonious.

Itís turning the A/C on in the room, itís not really anything to get too excited about.

Many hotels in holiday resorts charge you for A/c. If the resort is charging for it they need a better system than just doing it via a circuit breaker. I would be amazed if the OP is the first person who has done this.
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    I don't think people are being sanctimonious at all.
    They are just saying what they would have done in the same situation.
    And I would have paid for A/C if I wanted/needed it (whether the OP believes that or not ).
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 16th Sep 19, 8:24 AM
    • 20,442 Posts
    • 47,385 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Jesus, what kind of tight wad hotel charges extra for aircon?

OP got aircon for free that most self-respecting hotels outside of rip-off tourists resorts wouldn't have the audacity to charge extra for in the first place.

I'd have done the same. There, I said it.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Sep 19, 8:33 AM
    • 24,121 Posts
    • 64,884 Thanks
    Pollycat

OP got aircon for free that most self-respecting hotels outside of rip-off tourists resorts wouldn't have the audacity to charge extra for in the first place.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Lots of small, self catering places in Greece (where the OP went) and Turkey charge extra for A/C.
    These are the places that are squeezed on price by the companies such as Tui, Thomas Cook, Jet 2 etc.

And that fine.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 16th Sep 19, 8:35 AM
    • 13,030 Posts
    • 29,134 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    ]Jesus, what kind of tight wad hotel charges extra for aircon? [/B]

by peachyprice;76277513[B

Not really the point though is it?

They do charge so it is cheating them.

My husband would probably of done the same but I would not have done.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Sep 19, 9:04 AM
    • 39,644 Posts
    • 163,809 Thanks
    silvercar

Totally agree.

Next they will say that there is a bed in the room , but if you want to use bedding there is a charge. So people will fold it all up neatly and put back on the shelf before checking out!
    • ToxicWomble
    • By ToxicWomble 16th Sep 19, 10:17 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    ToxicWomble
    Not only are you are thief, but you seem to be proud of it.

How would you feel if a tradesman came into your house to do a job and helped themselves to your jewlery and then justified it by saying ďwell you didnít say anything at the timeĒ. - not a direct analogy but similar thought processes.

Just because itís a big business does not entitle you to steal from them.

Would love to know your profession and employer with a thought process and morals like that.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Sep 19, 10:29 AM
    • 24,121 Posts
    • 64,884 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Not only are you are thief, but you seem to be proud of it.

How would you feel if a tradesman came into your house to do a job and helped themselves to your jewlery and then justified it by saying “well you didn’t say anything at the time”. - not a direct analogy but similar thought processes.

Just because it’s a big business does not entitle you to steal from them.

Would love to know your profession and employer with a thought process and morals like that.
    Originally posted by ToxicWomble
    The OP hasn't shared what level of accommodation he stayed in.
    It might not be a big business.
    The place we recently stayed at in Greece only had 14 rooms.
    The amount that TUI pay them for a 2 week stay is shockingly low - they are considering whether to go independent next year.
    Using A/C for free in places such as that is - imho - unfair.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 16th Sep 19, 10:46 AM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 4,546 Thanks
    JReacher1
    I don't think people are being sanctimonious at all.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I think you are being incredibly sanctimonious. Both on this thread and the OP's other thread!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Sep 19, 10:53 AM
    • 24,121 Posts
    • 64,884 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think you are being incredibly sanctimonious. Both on this thread and the OP's other thread!
    And that's fine.
    It's your opinion (and comes as no surprise to me).

My point on the other thread is valid.
    Small accommodations are struggling.
    They may decide to increase prices next year to cover random clients who feel it appropriate to use something for free that has a charge attached.
    Maybe the OP will be complaining next year about increase in holiday prices.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 16-09-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Sep 19, 11:12 AM
    • 20,994 Posts
    • 124,379 Thanks
    maman
    The OP hasn't shared what level of accommodation he stayed in.
    It might not be a big business.

The place we recently stayed at in Greece only had 14 rooms.
    The amount that TUI pay them for a 2 week stay is shockingly low - they are considering whether to go independent next year.
    Using A/C for free in places such as that is - imho - unfair.
    I think OP suggested it was a large company as he implied he found it easier to cheat a big company than a family business. Justification seemed to be that they charged more than he thought was fair for beer.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 16th Sep 19, 11:39 AM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 4,546 Thanks
    JReacher1
    As a matter of interest what would you all do if you hadn't paid the €5 a day for the air con but when you walked into the room it was on?

I had the same situation in Rhodes about 10 years ago where I decided not to pay for it (first night weather wasn't great so didn't think I would need it) but it was on anyway when I entered the room. It stayed on for the whole week.

I assume all the people criticizing the OP would have gone down to reception and asked them to turn the Air con off ;-)
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 16th Sep 19, 11:41 AM
    • 766 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    couriervanman
    As a matter of interest what would you all do if you hadn't paid the €5 a day for the air con but when you walked into the room it was on?

I had the same situation in Rhodes about 10 years ago where I decided not to pay for it (first night weather wasn't great so didn't think I would need it) but it was on anyway when I entered the room. It stayed on for the whole week.

I assume all the people criticizing the OP would have gone down to reception and asked them to turn the Air con off ;-)
    I'm awaiting the response from certain users with interest

Loads of hotels will "try it on" with guests checking in........stayed in a cheap and cheerful easyhotel recently.
    Tried to charge me for a tv remote (told me it was the only way to watch)......god forbid i had to get out of bed a couple of times and press the buttons on the side of tv
    Last edited by couriervanman; 16-09-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Sep 19, 11:51 AM
    • 20,994 Posts
    • 124,379 Thanks
    maman
    I use a hotel in Turkey regularly. Almost always I book flights and hotel independently but one year I found a good deal with a holiday company to the same hotel. When I arrived late at night I couldn't get the air conditioning to work so assumed it was broken. I asked about it at reception the next morning and it was explained that air conditioning didn't come with the package I'd booked. So I paid up.

it never once occurred to me to go off and find a circuit breaker.....
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Sep 19, 12:00 PM
    • 24,121 Posts
    • 64,884 Thanks
    Pollycat
    That's frankly just unpleasant.

Lets try and keep the forum and this thread friendly or the thread will be locked!
    I regret that you think that.

This ^^^^ isn't exactly friendly. Is it?

One could wonder why you've flagged my post as 'unpleasant' when another poster has blatantly called the OP a thief...
    Last edited by Pollycat; 16-09-2019 at 1:01 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Sep 19, 12:03 PM
    • 24,121 Posts
    • 64,884 Thanks
    Pollycat
    As a matter of interest what would you all do if you hadn't paid the Ä5 a day for the air con but when you walked into the room it was on?

If I was aware that the price I'd paid didn't include the cost of A/C I would indeed have gone down to Reception to check with them.
    It's called being honest.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 16th Sep 19, 12:08 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 1,414 Thanks
    couriervanman
    If I was aware that the price I'd paid didn't include the cost of A/C I would indeed have gone down to Reception to check with them.
    It's called being honest.
    • Calpol4life
    • By Calpol4life 16th Sep 19, 12:09 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Calpol4life
    It’s one thing getting 7 chicken McNuggets in a 6 nugget meal - that’s a bonus.

It’s quite another reaching across the counter and taking another - because it ‘was there’

One is a honest bonus, one is deception.

Same applies for the 9 and 20 mc nugget formats also
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

355Posts Today

2,148Users online

Martin's Twitter