Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 30th Apr 19, 3:44 PM
    • 144Posts
    • 46Thanks
    MSE Karl
    MSE Poll: Should 1p and 2p pieces be ditched?
    • 30th Apr 19, 3:44 PM
    MSE Poll: Should 1p and 2p pieces be ditched? 30th Apr 19 at 3:44 PM
    Poll started 30 April 2019
    A year ago, the Chancellor called 1p and 2p coins obsolete. This week, he'll announce his decision on whether to scrap them (it's expected he won't).

The likes of Australia, Canada and Sweden have already ditched their copper equivalents, so should the UK follow suit?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks!
Page 2
    • db2016
    • By db2016 2nd May 19, 2:23 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    db2016
    this thread made me look in my jar.

1.80 in 5p
    20p in 2p
    33p in 1p

coppers are pointless, and i think people are put off by how manky they look! maybe if they were silver in colour theyd get used more, obviously they would probably exceed face value in minting costs!

im 32, and use cash more than most my age, in fact i only use cards online and to ATM cash out. i usually carry couple hundred on me a month. never use contactless, less than half dozen times in total i'd bet.
    • onlineo
    • By onlineo 2nd May 19, 11:08 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    onlineo
    I am 36. I don't like or see the necessity of 1p, or 2p and even 5p coins... but I will miss 2p machines at the seaside. The 10p machines are just too expensive to be fun. Over easter we took our 4 year old to St Annes and he loved the 2p machine on the pier, no way we would ever pay 5X the price to use the 10p machines.
    • onlineo
    • By onlineo 2nd May 19, 11:19 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    onlineo
    The pound is probably the oldest currency in the world and should not be lost, but its more than that, a cashless society sounds good and is easy to work, but many users do not remember when we were conned by decimalisation and all prices went up, and removing cash will do the same and cause more endless inflation, we must not do away with coins which will round prices UP but make others like 25 40 and 75 pence coins which might do away with the .9 of a penny scam at the petrol stations, then the small useless coins will just fade away.
    We now see that ATM'S will be phased out if we do not pay to use them which is a pointer of what is to come from the money grabbing banks as in the future a charge will probably be put on card scan machines, so the point is that once we are a complete cashless society can the banks be trusted???? NO THEY CAN'T "listen" to the experience of the older generation which says no
    Originally posted by Tyler4402
    Meh. Prices go up regardless of what coins people have in there pockets. It is called inflation. Sometimes products are made cheaper, (such as less biscuits in the packet, or a cheaper recipe) sometime prices go up.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 3rd May 19, 8:17 AM
    • 8,768 Posts
    • 5,488 Thanks
    buglawton
    Yet the Eurozone, which has a far larger user base than either us or Aus/NZ, still use the 1 & 2 cent coins.

If you think our 1p coin is fiddly, compare it to the size of the 1c coin which is roughly the size of our old 1/2p coin and the 2c is the size of our 1p. Maybe because that was their worth when introduced.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    EU retailers have the right to refuse 1 cent coins. Makes sense, they're environmentally and time wasteful.

The fact that the government just caved on abolishing these is just confirmation that we have a government currently unwilling (too weak and scared) to push through even the most minor of modernisation moves.
    Last edited by buglawton; 03-05-2019 at 8:20 AM.
    • jswami123
    • By jswami123 3rd May 19, 8:31 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jswami123
    Are you still facing the issue? IF so, then you must follow some strict rules like cardgenerator.io is following in providing good content.
    Last edited by jswami123; 26-06-2019 at 6:22 PM.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 3rd May 19, 9:34 AM
    • 4,332 Posts
    • 5,781 Thanks
    unforeseen
    OK if you want to abolish them then if retailers price goods such that they would need to be used E.G. x.99 or x.96 then the price is rounded DOWN to the nearest 5p.
    • jiffyhelper
    • By jiffyhelper 3rd May 19, 12:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jiffyhelper
    I say ditch the 1p but keep the 2p. That way we could still price things at the amounts that we do now, except for something costing either 1p or 3p, by combining 2ps with 5ps.
    Originally posted by NOWSE

That's all very well if you're paying for a 99p item with coppers but if you've paid with a you get no change.

If the 1p is withdrawn they should mint a 99p coin, that would make life much easier.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 3rd May 19, 12:32 PM
    • 4,332 Posts
    • 5,781 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Or retailers give up the 99p idea.

It was a psychological thing that no longer really works
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 7th May 19, 9:35 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    Aren't coins & notes are becoming obsolete anyway!
    I've been back in the UK for 3 weeks and I've not had single coin in my pocket from the day I got back.
    I use my CC or BC for all purchases

I suspect notes and coins will soon become obsolete just like written mail is virtually obsolete already.
    • Tanllan
    • By Tanllan 7th May 19, 9:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tanllan
    1p to go?
    Far better to keep the 1p and retire the 2p, 10p and 50p. Then we'd have 1p, 5p, 20p, 1 and 2. Eventually we'll follow other countries and have 5p as the smallest, but not yet.
    In the meantime we'd get rid of unnecessary (and expensive top provide) coins, without inflationary concerns.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th May 19, 6:03 AM
    • 4,332 Posts
    • 5,781 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Far better to keep the 1p and retire the 2p, 10p and 50p. Then we'd have 1p, 5p, 20p, 1 and 2. Eventually we'll follow other countries and have 5p as the smallest, but not yet.
    In the meantime we'd get rid of unnecessary (and expensive top provide) coins, without inflationary concerns.
    Originally posted by Tanllan
    But how much is other countries '5p' compared to Sterling? I bet its worth less than 5p UK
    • Askalaba
    • By Askalaba 26th May 19, 5:45 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Askalaba
    As a 1p coin and 2p coin become less and less valuable in real terms I can imagine them being ditched. I wouldn't be surprised if they go in the next 10 years
    Absolutely love a good bargain. If anybody has any money saving tips please send them my way
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,458Posts Today

7,638Users online

Martin's Twitter