Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    AP007
    After the Work Programme
    • 22nd Jul 13, 8:08 PM
    After the Work Programme 22nd Jul 13 at 8:08 PM
    So, secondary to the WP thread here there are a few who have now finished and have had their meetings at the JC.

What have they now put in place for you and how often are you going to the JC etc?

What 'support' have they offered you?

My meeting tomorrow is about support so would like to know what they have told you all here
    Last edited by AP007; 22-07-2013 at 9:15 PM.
    Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 2
  • dandelionclock30
    Some places ask for 2 years previous experience as a cleaner plus Coshh and certificates/verification of training with certain equiptment etc,like buffers and such like.
    It all depends on the cleaning job.
  • Daedalus
    Some places ask for 2 years previous experience as a cleaner plus Coshh and certificates/verification of training with certain equiptment etc,like buffers and such like.
    It all depends on the cleaning job.
    Originally posted by dandelionclock30
    Oh, well, as some ask for that then best not waste time applying for any...

Not mention that minimum requirements mean squat.
  • AP007
    God you make so many excuses. You weren't looking for cleaning or security work because the JC didn't put is on your job seekers agreement so you thought you weren't allowed?

How much experience do you think a cleaner needs?
    Originally posted by Daedalus

Well let me think..............There was a job at the school my niece goes to and it wanted FIVE years commercial cleaning experience.

That's the 100% truth there believe it or not.

or http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/early-morning-cleaners/23354354#/jobs/london?keywords=cleaner&pagesize=100

Early morning cleaners required urgently for a prestigious location in the City!
    Working from 5.30am to 7.30am Monday to Friday, the work will include cleaning offices, kitchen and washroom areas.
    Previous office cleaning experience is required and a 2 year checkable work history for referencing purposes.
    Due to the location and working hours you will need to live somewhere with excellent transport links to the Aldgate/Fenchurch Street areas of London.

Please note that due to the anticipated level of responses only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
    Last edited by AP007; 23-07-2013 at 9:12 PM.
    Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Daedalus
    Excuses.

Minimum requirements mean very little, many many people get interviews and jobs in which they do not meet the requested requirements. Minimum requirements are there just to deter people who aren't really interested in working, seems to work...

Not to mention, one job asking for certain experience is sufficient to not apply for any jobs in that industry, especially as you say the WP can help those looking for work in that industry.
  • AP007
    Excuses.

Minimum requirements mean very little, many many people get interviews and jobs in which they do not meet the requested requirements. Minimum requirements are there just to deter people who aren't really interested in working, seems to work...

Not to mention, one job asking for certain experience is sufficient to not apply for any jobs in that industry, especially as you say the WP can help those looking for work in that industry.
    Originally posted by Daedalus
    Yet again getting industry confused with job function

Why list minimum requirements for say a job as a nurse? Surely we can all do that? Or to say a company is looking for a ACCA accountant? Maybe they want a junior as I am sure they are just saying they want someone ACCA for a laugh.

What about the jobs where I more than meet all the criteria?

Yeah that's it I don't want to work

I thought what great luck to lose a job paying £500 to get £65 a week in stead

To now be £5000 more in debt than the day I left work

Yeah I don't want to work at all after never being out of work ever since leaving school in 87!
    Last edited by AP007; 23-07-2013 at 9:48 PM.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 23rd Jul 13, 10:10 PM
    • 7,208 Posts
    • 5,679 Thanks
    ohreally
    ^ Plenty care work jobs available that require little or no experience.

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/female-relief-support-workers-camden/23288288#/jobs/london?
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
  • Daedalus
    Over qualified...
  • AP007
    ^ Plenty care work jobs available that require little or no experience.

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/female-relief-support-workers-camden/23288288#/jobs/london?
    Originally posted by ohreally
    no wonder abuse is common in the care profession

I am not a 'warm, compassionate' person so not really for me
  • Daedalus
    I am not a 'warm, compassionate' person so not really for me
    Originally posted by AP007
    Fake it...
    • scooby088
    • By scooby088 24th Jul 13, 10:49 AM
    • 3,244 Posts
    • 3,568 Thanks
    scooby088
    When people say you don't need experience for a cleaning job I would say everyone cleans their own home so experience is already there, the only thing with coshh is the safe storage and mixing of cleaning chemicals, and nearly everyone in a domestic setting buys cleaning stuff already diluted. Also if you have never used a buffer machine they can be quite a handful this is where the experience part comes in.

Also care work isn't for everyone I tried it for four months was my last job, i realised it wasn't for me. I currently drive cars through an auction a job I really like but would like more hours.

I don't think it wrong for people to stick to the jobs they know and are comfortable with why would any employer employ someone who is obviously going to jump ship when another more suitable job comes along.
  • Crazy_Larry
    I was hoping someone would start a thread on this subject, found people's experiences interesting. I have just finished the WP and am awaiting my first appt/confrontation at the JC. No doubt feathers will fly but there is no way I am going in twice a week. Will let yall know what happens.
    I didn't ask to be born!
    • red devil
    • By red devil 24th Jul 13, 2:22 PM
    • 10,414 Posts
    • 7,761 Thanks
    red devil
    i would like to follow this thread thanks for starting it.

I finish in November.
    • red devil
    • By red devil 24th Jul 13, 2:32 PM
    • 10,414 Posts
    • 7,761 Thanks
    red devil
    my advisor told me that i would be asked to do 30 hrs a week work placement or a college course!
  • AP007
    I was hoping someone would start a thread on this subject, found people's experiences interesting. I have just finished the WP and am awaiting my first appt/confrontation at the JC. No doubt feathers will fly but there is no way I am going in twice a week. Will let yall know what happens.
    Originally posted by Crazy_Larry
    So far I am just going in to sign once every two weeks and she is going to call me next week, that's it

forgot to say she did say she thought the WP was coming to an end as it has failed, just a matter of time

Also all the feedback she was hearing was negative.
    • red devil
    • By red devil 24th Jul 13, 2:35 PM
    • 10,414 Posts
    • 7,761 Thanks
    red devil
    So far I am just going in to sign once every two weeks and she is going to call me next week, that's it
    Originally posted by AP007
    any talk of a work placement?
  • AP007
    any talk of a work placement?
    Originally posted by red devil
    No, none at all.
    • red devil
    • By red devil 24th Jul 13, 2:43 PM
    • 10,414 Posts
    • 7,761 Thanks
    red devil
    before you left the work programme did they go through what the job centre might do with you mine has already and i dont leave till November?
  • AP007
    before you left the work programme did they go through what the job centre might do with you mine has already and i dont leave till November?
    no they just say bye lol

WP ended Friday and had JC meeting yesterday
    • red devil
    • By red devil 24th Jul 13, 3:01 PM
    • 10,414 Posts
    • 7,761 Thanks
    red devil
    mine is getting me prepared, she also said when uc came in, the job seeking activity would have to increase?
  • AP007
    mine is getting me prepared, she also said when uc came in, the job seeking activity would have to increase?
    It can only increase if you are doing jack all, all day long

I told the JC my laptop goes on at 8am and turns off about 2am and I look for jobs 7 days a week which I do and can prove it from the applications I make.

She said you have to treat it as a full time job so at least 9-5
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

255Posts Today

3,078Users online

Martin's Twitter