I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Naffito wrote: »
    Last night we had sausage (frozen) and mash (real mash) and frozen sweetcorn
    For lunch today I think we will have one of our many tins of soup!

Snap I had that too. todays dinner is one of the many portions of Chilli Concarne , stashed away lord knows when, for tommorow have taken out a whoopsied pack of stewing meat and various odds of veg.

Been at this for three days now but cant really see a great deal of space in the freezer yet.

Would love to know how everyone else is doing
    Slimming World at target
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well I am in for one at least as I have just under 8 weeks until my holiday and I am saving as much as I can towards it.Last night I had herby salmon and mash and green beans all from my freezer. I will have another rummage later on today to get tonights dinner. My cupboards are so full the extra has started to go into my china cupboard so I really must stay away from the shops .So far this month I have used less than half of my budget so I will have fairly good amount of spare cash going into my saving next wednesday.
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi, I have been trying to run down my cupboards and freezers for ages.....hubby keeps bringing in more stuff! Florenceem.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 242/190
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £42.50/£100 NSD - 73
    2024 Craft Makes - 1946 Craft Spends 2024 £289.64/£500
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    can i join? i've acually been foing this for awhile now but i never really make an impact the problem is i tend to buy proper meat which doesn't take up that much room, but i have a huge chest freezer

we were having pork casarole (with veg and pork from the freezer) for tea, but i found aload of bread that really needs used so were having cheesey beans on toast for tea and pork casarole tomorrow
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • mymerrywidow
    mymerrywidow Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Hi, I have been trying to run down my cupboards and freezers for ages.....hubby keeps bringing in more stuff! Florenceem.
    i bet he blames you as well!! :rotfl::rotfl:
    life is like a loo roll. the nearer the end you get, the faster it goes.
  • mymerrywidow
    mymerrywidow Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    my tea tonight was chicken fingers,packet mash and frozen veg. teenager had sausages as he think its cruel to chickens to eat their fingers!!!:o:o
    life is like a loo roll. the nearer the end you get, the faster it goes.
  • gitw
    gitw Posts: 133 Forumite
    ohh what a good idea. would love to join in too please. have lots of random, sometimes unidentifiable items in my freezer and i tend to open it up, look, close it again and go and buy something fresh. freezer is now stuffed to the gills and i'm still wasting money buying things i have probably frozen having brought 50,000 packs because it was a deal, reduced, or from the wonderful approved foods

i also have a food buying habit - have always shared houses and had lots of friends for dinner but all that changed about a year ago but i still cant resist buying loads of food - nothing particularly junkified but i just like food and having it in my home - cheaper than shoes though!
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    Yep.
    We're all feeding our freezers, and even their bellies get full ;)
    so we have to stop it, get a grip on it.
    I know we can get the whoopsies from the supermarkets, but if we're not going to eat it, all we are doing is putting that £1.50 in the freezer when it should be in the bank/holiday fund/mortgage kitty.

I reckon we've got about 80 meals worth of meat and fish in our freezer.
    Why do we do it?
    I can't count how many packets of stuff in the cupboards, and tins galore.
    We could feed an army.
    I just today got £100 Asda delivery plus £35 Approved Foods delivery.
    And nowhere to put it all. There's only 2 of us and 2 dogs.
    I swear it's emotional...

Are You A Failure Because You Haven't Shopped This Week?

My pledge.

I will not buy any more meat or fish (apart from sausage and bacon for weekend breakfast) until we have only one drawer half full left to eat.

This is gonna be hard!
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    I just today got £100 Asda delivery plus £35 Approved Foods delivery.
    And nowhere to put it all. There's only 2 of us and 2 dogs.
    I swear it's emotional...

£100 + £35 for 2 and 2 dogs. :eek:
    It must be emotional. lol

We were just talking today about food shopping and we couldn't even think of when we last spent £20 even on a single shop (probaly a Lidl meat offer).
    Also guilty of having a freezer full of stuff (mainly meat) bought from either Lidl "half-price weekend offers" or reduced at silly prices from the local Sainsburys.

I'm in with the challenge, we are trying to get one freezer empty/ish and will start over again.

It is hard to refuse silly bargains though, sometimes you can get the basis of a full weeks worth of meals for a fiver, just need some veg etc (reduced if possible) to tie things in.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    That didn't include dog food or treats either, I got a month's worth last week :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure