MSE News: The rogue companies that ignore 'no cold callers' signs

Options
Former_MSE_Helen
Former_MSE_Helen Posts: 2,382 Forumite
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Charities and political parties are the worst offenders at ignoring 'no cold callers' signs, according to a new poll ..."

Comments

• JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How are "charities and political parties" the worst offenders when charities come 1st and political parties come 4th?
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I find that itinerant persons offering to repair my roof / prune or remove my trees / re-lay my paths / waterproof my walls / rip me off alarmingly and be untraceable afterwards are by far the worst offenders. The recent better weather has brought them out in droves as they obviously have a bit of catching up to do. Signs are of no use as formal education is not normally one of their strong points.
  • edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    why is this posted in the 'gas & electricity' section of the forum?

The survey, which saw more than 1,600 users vote, names charities as the worst culprits, receiving 14.5% of votes from those who have a sign.

They were closely followed by religious organisations, with 13.2%, homeware company Betterware with 8.7%, then political parties at 7.6%.
    Energy firms featured a lot, with 3.8% of sign owners saying Npower ignored them. A further 3.5% named British Gas as a culprit.
  • bondy01
    bondy01 Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Surely trick or treaters are no. 1 ? I live in a no cold calling zone and don't get many others. 30 secs after arriving home from a week in hospital 18 months ago had an energy salesman and very recently had a Labour activist for the council elections but apart from that can't think of other door knockers.
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am so sick of this. We are seriously considering getting an intercom as I am fed up getting out of bed, often with difficulty (I have a chronic illness) to answer the door to some idiot trying to sell me double glazing (which we already have) and the like.

The worst repeat offenders around here are the Jehovah's Witnesses. Visits appear to in clusters with a few occurring in a short time, then they move on. But they always come back. Last time instead of politely telling them to go away, which I usually do, I got cross (was particularly unwell that day) and they apologised and I haven't seen them since. I hope that will be that, but I doubt it.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    I think your article needs clarifying - for any offence to be commited there would need to be repeat cold calling against the wishes of the householder.

Your article implies that an offence could be commited by a single knock ignorning the sticker - which is not close to accurate.
  • autumntrance
    autumntrance Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I had a cold caller from Labour, I politely said I had a sign for no cold calling and that I was busy. I was told that this was regarding the countrys future and way above cold calling!

I replied I did not invite you or know that you were coming therefore it is cold calling, she was walking away at this point, I said nice to see Labour listens when they aren't hearing what they want to!!
  • hermante
    hermante Posts: 575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am so sick of this. We are seriously considering getting an intercom as I am fed up getting out of bed, often with difficulty (I have a chronic illness) to answer the door to some idiot trying to sell me double glazing (which we already have) and the like.

Just don't answer the door unless you're expecting someone... get people to call you on your mobile before you get out of bed to open the door
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We should measure the effectiveness of various signs.

Month One: No signs

Month Two: "Beware of the dog"

Month Three: "Quarantine Zone"

Month Four: "Cannibal Club. Volunteers always welcome."

etc.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sign idea: "Cold Callers please call aaa bbbb cccc to make an appointment"

Where aaa bbbb cccc is the local police station's TEL.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure