MSE News: Olympic tickets can be re-sold to friends or family

Comments

• Hi I ve just phoned the olympic customer service line, the person who purchased the tickets has to be at the venue.

This seems contradictory to the associated article about transferring olympic tickets to family.

I have purchased tickets for my family but do not propose to go to all the events, some events I have 2 tickets and they are more suited for other members of my family.

Does anyone know the exact ruling about family and friends?
    !

!
  • beagle
    beagle Posts: 43 Forumite
    Howardtim wrote: »
    Hi I ve just phoned the olympic customer service line, the person who purchased the tickets has to be at the venue.

This seems contradictory to the associated article about transferring olympic tickets to family.

I have purchased tickets for my family but do not propose to go to all the events, some events I have 2 tickets and they are more suited for other members of my family.

!

!

Just got a response back from the ticketing team. Whilst they didn't answer my question about how the "pay their age" tickets can be resold, they did answer about the purchaser being present:

Our ticketing policy states that the lead booker must be in attendance at the time of the event, however, if the lead booker is unable to attend and would like to pass their tickets on to a family member or friend, we will be sensible in our approach towards this. If an issue were to arise on the day of the event we would ideally want to contact the lead booker and communicate with them directly for confirmation.

If the card holder contacts us in June, we will have a much clearer plan of how it will work.
  • I have called them with the same question.

they said similar things, and they need to be able to contact the card holder in case of issues, and they have the right to refuse entry etc.

I am concerned as I plan to sell them to friends / family, just hope things will be fine.. I don't understand how come they couldn't have a definite answer. This is frustrating.. I will be 9 month pregnant during olympic games, and certainly can't go!.
  • JohnW
    JohnW Posts: 18 Forumite
    Gemma,

You really shouldnt worry about this - as stated in the post above, LOCOG will be sensible about this. Me and loads of other on Twitter have bought tickets from around Europe not just for ourselves, but for friends, family, colleagues, on the understanding that all be OK - I am completely relaxed about this to be honest. This is huge event and there will be big long queues at every venue as security will be tight. LOCOG will want to minimise any inconvenience and bad headlines (Daily Mail!) and will want to get spectators into the venues ASAP.

So, as stated above, if worst comes to worst and the ticket 'holders' are questioned, the ticket 'purchaser' should in the words of Paul Deighton, the CEO of LOCOG, "make themselves available" to reassure the people who are checking the tickets. What does this mean? A simple phonecall to you probably. Thats all. But in all likelihood, this won't happen in the majority of cases.

John [for Olympic tickets info & news - Twitter: @volshy]
  • JohnW
    Howardtim wrote: »
    Hi I ve just phoned the olympic customer service line, the person who purchased the tickets has to be at the venue.
    <snip>
    !

There is NO exact ruling on this, because they have to stick to the legal framework laid down in the Anti-touting Olympics 2006 Act (or something like that!) which was put in place specifically for the Games.

BUT... this is a HUGE event and there will always be cases where people cant make it for loads of reasons.... so LOCOG have no choice but to be sensible.

If you search for information about this, you find plenty of news articles on BBC or the Telegraph, Times or Guardian.

In fact go on Twitter, follow James Pearce of BBC News (@pearcesport) and ask him - he has great contacts with LOCOG and has been extremely helpful in the ticket hunt around Europe. He has stated several times that it is perfectly fine for tickets to be given/sold to family/friends/colleagues. AND the ticket PURCHASER does NOT have to be at the event... but does have to "make themselves available" (eg on end of phone) should there be a problem.

John [Twitter: @volshy]
  • JohnW
    goody2 wrote: »
    We re in the same boat..we need to sell our tickets......

my wife whose bought a ticket for is disabled, I go free as a carer and we got another ticket for my daughter, how do we sell them correctly?

'The Olympic games is there for everyone in the UK' ...my foot it is!

Go to tickets.london2012.com... sign in to your account, then makr your tickets to be sold (Resale) - they will DEFINITELY be bought by LOCOG who are the ONLY buyer in this rejigged "Resale" process.

John [Twitter: @volshy]
  • Hi, wonder if anyone has any idea what I can do here without being thrown in a cell and given bread and water for the rest of my life........ I played one of the national lottery online scratchcards and won 2 olympics tickets worth £350 (for both) I cant go to the olympics even if i wanted to, I cant sell them back through the 2012 website as i dont have an account they told me to contact national lottery, they have said that its correct i cant sell them back to 2012, cant exchange them, but could give them away to family or friends, forgive me if this sounds greedy i love my friends n family to bits but £350 is £350 and i did win them fair and square by spending money on the scratchcard in the first place, so why should i be forced to give away my prize????? seems very unfair, have thought about mentioning them on Facebook to my "Friends" and see if anyone wants them but would have to pay £300 delivery charge would this still get me into bother?? or the hubby has suggested selling my friendship on ebay????.............
  • D_Dickenson
    D_Dickenson Posts: 206 Forumite
    snakesam13 wrote: »
    Hi, wonder if anyone has any idea what I can do here without being thrown in a cell and given bread and water for the rest of my life........ I played one of the national lottery online scratchcards and won 2 olympics tickets worth £350 (for both) I cant go to the olympics even if i wanted to, I cant sell them back through the 2012 website as i dont have an account they told me to contact national lottery, they have said that its correct i cant sell them back to 2012, cant exchange them, but could give them away to family or friends, forgive me if this sounds greedy i love my friends n family to bits but £350 is £350 and i did win them fair and square by spending money on the scratchcard in the first place, so why should i be forced to give away my prize????? seems very unfair, have thought about mentioning them on Facebook to my "Friends" and see if anyone wants them but would have to pay £300 delivery charge would this still get me into bother?? or the hubby has suggested selling my friendship on ebay????.............

There must be lots of people in a situation similar to this where a mechanism to swap or sell tickets in needed.
    I'm desperate for an extra Olympic Park day pass for a 3 year old. We have family coming from France totalling 9 people and between us we have been lucky enough to get 8 basketball/swimming tickets on the same day. So it could be a great day out in the Olympic Park for the whole family but we need one extra entrance ticket so the 3 year old can join her 6 year old sister in the Olympic Park for a few hours and go home with their mother while the rest of us enjoy the sport in the evening.
    If anyone has a spare Olympic Park day pass for the 2nd August then please let me know.
  • My mum has tickets to one of the athletic events but she will be out of the country (as she only received one set of tickets, it did not seem worth changing her holiday plans).

Although London2012 says it allows transfer of tickets to family, this requires the tickets to have been delivered, so they can be re-sold.

1. Royal mail did not ring the doorbell, just put "failed to deliver slip" through the door
    2. The tickets immediately were sent back to London2012
    3. In order to collect the tickets, it requires the card and ID from the account holder.

However, my mum is already on holiday and will not cancel her trip in order to present her ID.

Can anyone see a way around this? It seems crazy that her tickets could go to waste through the incompetence of Royal Mail...?!?!

Thanks for your help!
  • marksmith99
    marksmith99 Posts: 149 Forumite
    Are they back with London2012? All the ones I've missed delivery for have been taking back to the local sorting office for collection.

If someone can get into your mum's house, you should be able to arrange a redelivery at the sorting office if you have the reference number from the red undelivered card for a day you choose when someone can be in the house to collect them.

I think the delivery of the tickets has been done pretty well - all the email and texts alerts would be great to get on all delivery items needing a signature.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure