The Mortgage Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    As of Thursday we are mortgage free too.
    We didn't reduce our term but as victims of the eighties endowment mortgages, we made over payments to make up the short fall.
    And as it turned out we had over paid too much, so when the terminal bonus was paid, we've actually got a surplus of £5K :)
    x x x
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We became mortgage free in March this year. Realised I was running out of time jobwise( boss is selling up to retire)so we went for it. At its highest we owed 38,000 pounds in 1990. Missold an endowment, but we had no recourse as it was pre -regulation. Scumbags.

So we had to start again. This time repayment, but had to extend by 3 yrs to keep costs down as my work is low paid. That was in 2004 so we effectively paid it in 8 yrs. !!!! We used our savings as I figured my fixed rate was 5% ish and the savings rate naff all.

My words of wisdom? Just believe you can do it. I hated my mortgage from day one,and I will always believe that mortgages( and debt generally) is just modern enslavement.
  • WRabbit
    WRabbit Posts: 84 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    a. The date you decided to become a MFW

When we remortgaged in 2005.

b. Mortgage Debt at its highest

£37500

c. Mortgage-Free Date

1 August 2012

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.

Use the overpayment rules of your mortgage provider to your advantage and pay attention todates. We had 3 key dates for our, January when the upcoming years mortgage payment was calculated. July 12 the date the 10% overpayment period ran from and July 31 the anniversary of our product and when ERC changed.

When we had enough saved to repay the balance we waited till 1 August as the ERC dropped by a couple of percentage points.

By making our large overpayment in January we maximized what we could overpay as we chose not to have our monthly payment recalculated until it happened automatically the next January.
  • hughmungas1986
    hughmungas1986 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 6 September 2012 at 8:45PM

When we re-mortgaged in September 2005

£ 71.000

c. Mortgage-Free Date

30th July 2012

Overpay as much as you can without compromising other things...

I must also mention that without the great ideas, suggestions and challenges ( mortgage free in three - thanks Tallgirl ) on this website I would never of achieved being mortgage free by now.
    Mortgage :- Jan 2008 £56000, August 2012 £ 0
    Target :- 1 Apr 2010 £20000... ACHIEVED
    Whiskey bottle £279 banked. Mortgage Pikachu £2 + 50p £1920 banked
    Mortgage Free In Three No. 113
    Mortgage free date, 30 July 2012 :j:beer:
  • a. The date you decided to become a MFW

When we switched to an offset mortgage in 2007.

£80,720 we had a good deposit via sale of flat plus savings.

c. Mortgage-Free Date

5th October 2012

16 years ahead of the original 25 year mortgage term (age 39, OH 36)

You need more than one ;)

Set yourself a realistic budget and stick to it. Allow yourself little treats along the way so it does not become a complete slog, its all about finding a balance.

Overpay as much as you can. We started with small overpayments and then looked for ways to increase this further via shopping round for best deals on insurance, gas/electric, best interest rates on savings and opening bank accounts with bonuses. Every little helped. Any bonuses received at work went directly into the mortgage, salary increases were added to the monthly overpayments. We went from monthly overpayments of £25 to £500 in 5 years.

An offset mortgage really worked for us, we could make unlimited overpayments while still having access to the offset pot as our emergency fund. We achieved 100% offset early on via help from our parents (see diary) which meant every penny going in went towards repaying the mortgage.

Spreadsheets were also a great for motivation showing us the impact of overpayments, setting ourselves milestones like dropping into the next xx thousands. Checking, adjusting, tweaking……aiming for that next milestone, its all part of the fun on the MF journey.

e. And if you had a mortgage freedom diary on MFW, a link to it.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2101757

As said previously we started our journey in 2007, however from Dec 2009 is logged in the above diary.

Jock :)
    5/10/12 : Mortgage Free :)
  • savlad
    savlad Posts: 14 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Myself and my family have finally reached the mortgage free goal - I've followed quite a few diaries on here over the years which has really helped in the formulating of ideas and approaches to help becoming mortage free. The most notable one was probably Financialbliss' one as it covered a range of areas of finance and was clearly a balanced yet careful approach - so a special mention to him!

It was probably around march 2007 -as first time buyers we had just finished our first 2 year fixed mortgage with one supplier (that was pretty restrictive in terms of overpayments and when you could make them etc) and I looked at the closing statement which showed that we'd paid off a couple of thousand in capital compared to the £18,000 in mortgage payments over the same period - it kind of made me realise that it was an area i could make a difference with the right product. Switched to an offset mortage which gave me much more flexibility and at the time was as competetive a rate as most other "standard" mortgages|

£149,950

c. Mortgage-Free Date
    Today - 19th October 2012

In summary it's probably - you need to take control and have a balanced approach.

Just by the fact you are focussing or are aware of the prospect of being mortgage free probably puts you in a more informed postition than 95% of the country. By definition just by thinking about this you have probably taken a lot more control over your finances than the majority of others- and this is something you should celebrate, no matter where you are in your journey.

I was very fortunate that my earnings increased pretty significantly over a relatively short period of time, but the key was that I knew what I wanted to do with it - that was invest in both paying off my largest debt (my mortgage), but also paying into my pension and saving for a rainy day (this is where the offset was particularly useful as the rainy day savings were kind of also helping to reduce my mortgage - I didn't need additional pots).

Because I knew what I wanted to achieve it meant I didn't buy things I didn't actually want or really need - that might have been a £3 coffee or a £300 computer console, the important part was everytime I felt the urge I asked myself whether it really made my life better or richer (in both the financial and soulful sense). If it didn't I simply didn't buy it and felt better for making that decision, if I thought it did then I went ahead and was comfortable with the choice as i'd kind of challenged myself before making the decision.

I think this gave me more freedom than I thought it would - rather than being constrained by money I was in control. It meant that I rarely if ever turned down the opportunity of seeing friends for a meal or a night out - as I felt this made me richer in the soulful sense, because elsewhere I'd made savings on the stuff that when I'd thought about it didn't matter to me.

I'd fight for every single penny with the big corporations that have huge profits - so followed martins tips in terms of seeking out the best deals in insurance, utilities etc etc and reviewed regularly, but i used local services more often where i could - often things like the butchers and greengrocers were cheaper anyway than the supermarkets and where the price difference was pretty small I felt better about the choice I made, because I was actually thinking about where my money was going and what it was doing. Not just simply frittering it away.

Don't put your life on hold just to pay off the mortgage, make sure you find joy in what you are doing and get pleasure from the savings you make whilst ensuring you fulfil what you want to acheive in both the MF quest and what is going on in your life.

Right thats probably about 37 "pearls of wisdom" so i'm going to shut up. Just the fact you are here and reading this probably means you are going to have a positive impact on what you are doing and will end up paying less than others who just haven't thought about it.

Good luck to all those on their quest!
  • a. The date you decided to become a MFW
    8 yrs ago when switching to ½ repayment from all interest only. (Took a risk and kept endowment going as mortgage lender seemed suspiciously keen to ‘relieve me of the burden’…;))

£42,950

c. Mortgage Free Date
    Yesterday, - 4 yrs and 8 months early:j Not sunk in at all yet although life does feel a little strange today…

d. Your pearl of wisdom
    No one pearl of wisdom I’m afraid, - there have been so many.
    Gave up smoking 7 yrs ago which helped massively.
    Limit the luxuries and overpay as much as possible but try not to sacrifice so much that you won’t be able to keep it up.
    Keep emergency savings so that unexpected dramas don't interrupt the job in hand.

And then one day I decided to get serious and gave myself a money make over. Not easy and really quite shocking, but lurked on this forum and soaked up the encouragement! Set up a spreadsheet and gave myself 2 years.
    8 months later and here I am..:D
    With thanks and good luck to all those who have encouraged and supported..:T
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 5 November 2012 at 1:38PM
    Wow, 38 years old and now mortgage free.
    Problem now starts, I got in a bit of trouble with credit cards(18000) we want to get a loan to pay the cc's off and overpay on the loan, but can't get a loan!!!,one bank told us it could be because if we default on the loan they can't use any finance attached to the house(motgage) to re claim their money i.e reposession of it. Is that true? Anyone else mortgage free unable to get credit?
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    a swap

re-mortgage 18k --pay off loan

your credit rating will also change
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
  • black_taxi_2
    black_taxi_2 Posts: 1,816 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    surprised you never paid off debt first

was there a reason?
    £48515 interest £181 (2009)debt/mortgage-MFIT/T2/T3
    debt/mortgage free 28/11/14
    vanguard shares index isa £1000
    credit union £400
    emergency fund£500
    #81 save 2018£4200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing