Too late to get an ISA?

Options
Last week I went down to my local Halifax to open an ISA,with the form already filled out and my ID in hand - all they had to do was verify my ID and take my form and cash deposit,yet the cashier said I would need to come back and make an appointment to do this!! Now I may just get near a Halifax on Wed 16th - the tax year ends on April 5th - will I have time to open an account and deposit it before april 5th?

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The ISA should be opened the day the file the completed application form and deposit the funds.

Can't you do it online? Is Halifax offering the best rate?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • bankersmug
    bankersmug Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    You're absolutely right ya know! Although Halifax was a few weeks ago showing a nice 5.35% this has now dropped,and I have applied for the First Direct account at 6.25% instead! Glad I didn't waste my time making bureacratic building societies like Halifax any richer!
    Thanks!
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Options
    5.15% for the halifax direct ISA seems pretty good to me

The competition:
    Abbey - its abbey, and the delays!
    A&L - exit penalty of £25 sneaked into the T&Cs
    First Direct - headline grabbing bonus and restrictions if you can be bothered

So for me an ISA should have a consistently high rate - and no exit penalty and ease of use. I will be going to the halifax come April 6th unless anyone can suggest otherwise!
  • bankersmug
    bankersmug Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    Fine if you have a decent branch that doesn't employ daleks and jobsworths - I mean an appointment just to show someone a passport and hand a form in - come on.........
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    bankersmug wrote:
    Fine if you have a decent branch that doesn't employ daleks and jobsworths - I mean an appointment just to show someone a passport and hand a form in - come on.........

With Halifax you have to be forcefull.

I.e. when I applied for the monthyl saver, I was given the usual brush off, saying I need to make an appontment, I said okay just give me the form and I will fill it in, and was told that all the advisors are busy and theres no where to sit down... I said no problem give me the form and I will fill it in standing up, some more ifs and buts, eventually I got the form, filled it in , in about 5 minutes and gave it back, was told that I would get a letter in the post

All done and dusted....
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Abbey - its abbey, and the delays!"

Abbey Postal Isa 5.34% can be opened in a branch although all further transactions must be done by post. Most branches have advisors who do not work by appointment so you just go in and wait.

Hope you get sorted
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    opps 5.35% not awake yet
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • Viz_2
    Viz_2 Posts: 720 Forumite
    Options
    bankersmug wrote:
    Last week I went down to my local Halifax to open an ISA,with the form already filled out and my ID in hand - all they had to do was verify my ID and take my form and cash deposit,yet the cashier said I would need to come back and make an appointment to do this!!

I had the same problem when i tried to open my Halifax Direct ISA. I insisted that i couldn't come back another time and would go elsewhere. So they customer service woman photocopied my I.D. and gave me a written reciept of the £50 opening balance. The rest followed in the post.
    Only took her 5 mins.
    Never buy a stupid dwarf -
    Its not big and its not clever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills