MSE News: Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,675
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I too have IRESA doublie billing.

I have 2 sets of "normal charges" from 28th July to 1st August. The first for about £5 which seems a normal pro rata bill for the short period, and the second also covering the same period for about £19 which sounds wrong.

There are no meter readings to support these and no actual "bill" to say how they were arrived at.

The latest email from Octopus said I will get my final bill and there will be a procedure to dispute it of wrong, so I will be disputing it.

I also have another issue, my "billing and supply address" Mine is a new build house, so initially the address was "land between house A and house B" I (eventually) got IRESA to correct this, but now it has gone to Octopus it has gone back to "land between.... " so i have asked Octopus to correct it again AND this time update the database that the suppliers work from, not just their local records.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,589
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I've just received my IRESA bill from Octopus and as I expected it's around 1800kwh adrift.

I've put my dispute in to get it corrected. Fortunately I've got eight years worth of both monthly and weekly meter readings so it shouldn't be too difficult to sort it out.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • psamuel
    psamuel Posts: 40
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Still waiting for my July bill, Meter readings up to date.
    looks like the energy companies have certainly raised their prices for electricity.
    When Iresa failed i could get a quote for £28, this has now risen to £32.
    All from a £25 usage. :-) Octopus still showing at £35.
    May go with a variable and see how the market moves after Iresa.
  • babe-ruth
    babe-ruth Posts: 188
    Forumite
    I'm really confused now. So I've had the email from Octopus showing my final invoice from Iresa. It says closing balance on 4th Aug is -£52.53

On the front page of the email they are saying according to Iresa administrators the final balance is £23.62 in debit

I'm tempted to press the 'I agree' but is there a catch?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,500
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 August 2018 at 8:31AM
    Still no "final" bill here ....but the mess of credit and debits (4 entries!) which had originally appeared on the Iresa Accounts page since 27th July, have all disappeared. :(

My credit has gone back up to the figure as of 27th (which I could agree via my spreadsheet.)
    My meter reading of the evening of 31st appears as the last reading on the Iresa page and the first reading on the Octopus account so I'll await a bill with interest :rotfl:
    Just noticed that the Iresa site shows the closing date of my plan as 6th August 2018 -don't understand that if Octopus took over wef 31st July??
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,589
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 August 2018 at 9:50AM
    I'm hoping that those of us who keep an eye on our energy bills and keep their own records as a check should have a lot less hassle that those who just let it drift and don't have a clue as to whether they are in debit or credit.

It should be fairly easy if you've still got your initial meter readings and details of the direct debit/payments that you've already paid to Iresa (get them from your bank account, if you haven't got any other evidence). Then just do the sums
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,500
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    matelodave wrote: »
    I'm hoping that those of us who keep an eye on our energy bills and keep their own records as a check should have a lot less hassle that those who just let it drift and don't have a clue as to whether they are in debit or credit.

It should be fairly easy if you've still got your initial meter readings and details of the direct debit/payments that you've already paid to Iresa (get them from your bank account, if you haven't got any other evidence). Then just do the sums

The potential problem appears to revolve around the final Iresa reading and the actual changeover date.
    Since my last post (only ~ 90 minutes ago!!) I've logged into my Octopus account to find a new "changeover" meter reading which is lower than the reading I gave them on 1st August - and a changeover date of August 7th!
    This new reading is ,I believe, the Iresa produced "deemed reading" which has subsequently vanished from my Iresa account -Oh what a b******d of a mess:mad:
  • Daytona
    Daytona Posts: 69
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 August 2018 at 6:03AM
    matelodave wrote: »

:D Yup - easy peasy, and I've discovered that I'm £12 up. Cheers to everyone who's contributed.

It's bad timing because rates are high -
    https://www.icis.com/energy/power/icis-power-index/
    but the best rate for me now as an Economy 7 user of 909kWh day, 2556kWh night is Ebico Zero Fixed Green 1 Year. It's only 2% more than the best variable rate from Powershop and it effectively caps my price whilst allowing me a fee free move, which given that rates traditionally rise in the winter then drop in the spring, will allow me to review when I think rates have bottomed.

Maybe it's my timing, but variable rates have never really been worth the risk whenever I've compared.
  • psamuel
    psamuel Posts: 40
    Forumite
    Not looking good for changing supplier from the 21st as Octopous stated.
    Changed to Ebico fixed 18 month term for my gas from sse today.
    23 days and seamless.
    May get a duel fuel quote from them for leccy as soon as Octopus pull their finger out :)
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,258
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My gas account has gone from being £90 in credit on 28 July to a final bill £114 in debit. Makes no sense at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure