Pay off mortgage & invest instead?

albert101
albert101 Posts: 23 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 17 May 2018 at 10:08AM in Savings & investments
Dear everyone,

I'm after a bit of advice please.

I am 46. We own 94% of our house. It is potentially a 'forever house' big enough for what we need, nice area etc. We still owe about £50k on the mortgage, which costs us c3% pa, and c £600 per month.

I have a reasonable pension pot. I have around £200k in various ISAs etc. I came into some money recently, and wary of toppy markets, stuck £50k into Premium Bonds.

Would it be better do you think to use the Premium Bonds to pay off the mortgage, and give myself roughly £600 per month to drip feed into the stock market, using pound cost averaging to weather storms etc.

I have to say I sleep better at night having money around and it could be that the £50k might come in useful down the road should misfortune strike - I can't after all eat my house, and should misfortune strike (job loss) I might not easily be able to raise cash against it.

I appreciate this is not an easy question to answer, but I guess if you were me, what would you do?

Many thanks,

Albert

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• albert101
    PS - we have no other debt apart from the mortgage
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Is this your only noninvested money? Do you have any other assets apart from house ? What rate of tax do yu pay ? is your house worth 1 million then ? how long till you intend to retire?
    It does not make sense to me having a loan for which yu are charged 3% out of your taxed income while having money bringing virtually nothing and reducing in value. But judgi g but what ou said you are comfortable enough to be able to afford losing money in return for piece of mind so whatever makes you happy..
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • albert101
    Thanks Justme - Assets: £200k in ISAs, cars worth £15k or so (own them outright)

House worth £850k or so (so we own £800k of it). I pay 40% tax. I earn around £70k pa before tax.

Retirement - don't know - due to changes in my industry I suspect I may have to retire in around 10 years or so, but ideally I'd keep going to my 60s.
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,616 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Based on stock markets increasing over time it seems a bit strange to start from zero rather than putting the lump sum straight into a S&S ISA. Obviously you're limited to £20k each but that would take £40k of it and you could use the remainder to pay off mortgage.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    so that is the only liquid money you have then ?
    I would leave leave one third in cash in bonds , pay one third towards mortgage and buy gold ( physical ( with another third.
    Any children ? wife's pension?
    have you planned your retirement?
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    albert101 wrote: »
    I pay 40% tax.

Well stop it immediately. Contribute enough to a pension to avoid 40% tax. Use money from your ISAs if you must.

In fact why not swap your mortgage to an offset mortgage? Then your emergency money can sit in the account associated with the mortgage, thus reducing the monthly mortgage repayment. You can divert your new surplus monthly cash into pension contributions.

If you are a worrier about job loss consider income protection insurance.
    http://monevator.com/do-you-need-income-protection-insurance/

Do the sums: the money you can save by eliminating/reducing monthly mortgage payments, plus the money you can make by shifting capital from ISAs into pensions, will far more than pay for your income protection. You'll feel better off on several dimensions at once. Hurray!
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 May 2018 at 7:52PM
    We still owe about £50k on the mortgage, which costs us c3% pa, and c £600 per month.
    Somebody's calculator must be broken then - 3% pa on a £50K mortgage would be £1500, or £125 per month! Which of those three figures you've quoted is the wrong one?

Edit: bowlhead99 points out below that most of that monthly cost is likely to be capital repayment rather than interest!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    if 50K in cash is all you have, then to use all of it to pay off the mtg is a bad idea.

but also, paying all that HRT is a bad idea.

So use some of it (35-40K?) to pay down mtg and use freed up money to pay more into pension.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 13 May 2018 at 7:33PM
    eskbanker wrote: »
    We still owe about £50k on the mortgage, which costs us c3% pa, and c £600 per month.
    Somebody's calculator must be broken then - 3% pa on a £50K mortgage would be £1500, or £125 per month! Which of those three figures you've quoted is the wrong one?
    They might quite easily be the 'right' ones.

If you agree a £100k mortgage at 3% over 18 years, it costs a bit over £7200/yr or £600/mo; which is still the same monthly outgoing when you get down to your last 8 years and owe £50k. Likewise if you just took out an 8 year mortgage for £50k. It will cost you £600pm of cashflow.

So while the interest cost saved by clearing the mortgage is only an initial £150pm of real 'expense' (as £450pm was paying off the capital portion of the debt), the cash freed up to make investments in something other than the property if the mortgage were paid off is £600pm.

The OP wasn't clear in either of his posts whether the £200k in various ISAs included in his list of assets was in Cash ISAs or S&S ISAs which obviously changes the risk profile significantly depending on the answer.

If they are all in S&S and the premium bonds are his family's only 'near cash' assets then I would agree with his cautious approach not to dump all his premium bonds into paying down mortgage or buying pension, because he's right that in an emergency you can't always remortgage your house or raise new credit, especially if the emergency is that you are jobless. However, the £50k of Premium bonds is around about an entire year's net salary (from a £70k gross) which is quite a lot swilling around as a slush fund 'just in case'.

If the £200k ISAs are cash ISAs (at almost 3x his gross annual salary) then holding PBs is hypercautious and it makes sense to grab 40% tax relief on whatever amount of his salary is not already being contributed to pension, by making further pension contributions to reduce him down to the basic rate tax bracket if possible, this year and next and perhaps future years too.

If the £200k ISAs are actually investment ISAs and there's very little cash sitting around other than the PBs, then it might be more sensible to consider only using up half the PBs and retaining the rest as a reasonable £25k 'emergency fund' (although better interest rates than PBs can be found with various banks and building societies, for smaller amounts of money). The half of the PBs that is to be used up could still most efficiently be used on pension contributions as the deferral or avoidance of 40% tax is very nice; though if he was particularly cautious he could perhaps spend part of the PBs on clearing a bit of the mortgage given that the 3% is at least a higher return he was getting from holding PBs.

But IMHO if the £200k ISAs are investment ISAs, and the home is already a forever home without needing hundreds of thousands to be spent on it in the forseeable future, and there are no major life plans for the £200k other than retirement at age 60+, it would seem to be sensible to sell out of some of the ISAs to fund the grabbing of even more of this pension contribution 40% tax relief. So whether the £200k ISAs are S&S or cash, you probably don't need to spend them all before your personal pension contribution access age, so they can be utilised to help increase pension contributions over the coming years up to the max amount that benefits from higher rate tax relief.
  • albert101
    Thanks to all for your very useful replies.

Yes my mortgage is a repayment mortgage, so repay the principle plus the interest of c £1500 pa = £7200 pa or so. It has 8 years or so to go. I can overpay without penalty, and in theory can get it all back should I want it.

However, as Mr Lewis has cautioned in his advice in this area, the small print is tricky, as the bank can and will review withdrawals one's circumstances and can say no - which they might reasonably do if I had a lost a job etc. (Banks lend you an umbrella when the sun is shining and remove it when it starts raining, as the saying goes)

Yes, the £200k is in S&S.

Between us we have around £300k in pension pot at present = probably not enough, I know... Currently putting £10k pa into it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure