Changing to LPG underground tank

I am hoping someone knowledgable on this forum can help me with a problem I have. Flogas bought my overground tank from avanti gas in April 2016. I changed supplier as the lpg price per litre from Flogas was cheaper. However, the change has brought me a whole lot of angst! Flogas requested that I remove a hedge and then cutting back a tree from around the tank, I did whatever they asked but was left with a. Ugly overground tank. I then asked Flogas to quote for putting the tank underground. When the engineer came, he told me the overground tank was illegal and that it wasn’t a choice to put it underground tank but a must. They then gave me an astronomical price to supply the tank and also said that I had to pay for and project manage the installation. Ie I had to find someone to dig the hole and change the pipe from the boiler to the tank, The could not help other than dropping the tank into place, I have subsequently found out that they had not done any due diligence when they bought the tank from Avanti gas and therefore I believe they should never have purchased it (anyway that’s an aside). I have not done anything about it as yet as it’s been winter and also I had to find the money but now the spring is here, I need to address the issue, Also my contract with Flogas runs out in April 2018 so I am free to go to other suppliers for quotes However, it occurs to me that if I have to do all the work with regards to placement of thr tank, I do not see why I need to be locked into another 2 year contract, in fact my ideal would be for a supplier to take on the job and project manage it as I feel totally incapable of doing that work but, if I do have to find out how to do that and I pay for all the works, why can’t I own the tank and decide on which company I buy the gas from, as and when required ? Ie not be locked into another contract, I am near Sevenoaks in Kent. So, firstly does anyone out there know of a company who would project manage the whole procedure for me (whether or not it means locking into a lpg gas supplier) and secondly either/or, if I get another supplier to provide the underground tank, can I insist that they do all the works if I lock into a contract with them , I,am in a complete quandary as I do not understand why I have to be the project manager for works I am Ill equipped to handle Can anyone make any suggestions for me please,?

Comments

• I've been posting on the 'Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers' thread about changing to an underground tank. The Forum won't let me post you a link.
    Basically the LPG supplier owns the tank and I think the main valve. You own the rest- i.e. the tank regulator, supply line to the house etc.
    The LPG companies might be able to point you towards a company that will project manage and complete all the ground works for you, but it's not going to be cheap! You might be better just employing a local builder to do it for you.
    Digger hire for the tank hire and pipe trench, concrete slab base, aggregate and sand for back fill etc. etc.
  • Just spoke to Flogas again. They now have their own groundworks/installation team.
    Inclusive quote to follow after site survey.
  • I’m so sorry to hear of the problems you have had with Flogas! Did you have a happy ending as I’m having similar problems which is stressing me out.
  • We ended up digging our own hole and trench for the new LPG tank.
    Flogas wanted £4.5k for the complete installation (not including re-terminating the LPG to the internal supply).
    We had a man with a digger already doing the foundations for a new extension.
    The hole required is big 5 metres by 3 metres by 1.6 metres deep.
    You also have to set in your concrete slab for the lpg tank, and the pipe trench to the house.
    Rough costs- £300 for man with digger, £600+ for grab hire to take earth away, a few tonnes of pea shingle, foundation slab.... etc. etc.

not easy and not quick. But it looks a lot better now without the ugly tank on the ground.
  • Hi. Was your hole stepped or sloped as 5m is a fairly large hole for an LPG tank unless it was oversize?

Also, did FloGas charge you anything at all if you did all the work yourself?
  • The regulations are you need a 1 metre working area all around the tank when it's being installed.
    The UG tank is 3 metres*1 metres hence the need for a 5 metre by 3 metre. Ground here is clay so the sides didn't need to be stepped, just very slightly sloped.
    Flogas charge for the tank install ~£1k.
    The connection from the LPG demarcation point to the boiler was a rip off, cheapest quote from local Gas Safe plumber was £280, took the gas engineer 2 hours and 1 metre of copper.
  • Thanks for telling me that, that's very useful to know. It depends on who you talk to regarding installation mind as I find different suppliers tell you different things. I also hear they charge about £1k for removal underground.

What did Calor quote as they appear to be offering free installation now.
  • scrooged wrote: »

What did Calor quote as they appear to be offering free installation now.

That's the big problem with LPG, because I was mid-contract with Flogas, Calor would not quote me for replacing the tank.
    Whoever you're in contract with owns the tank. If you change supplier they have to transfer ownership to the new company.

I could have waited until Nov 2019 when I'm out of contract and negotiated a deal including tank installation, but I couldn't wait. The 'garden' is returning back from a building site during the winter.
  • Thanks philtrick123. I am so pleased to hear that it’s all over for you and you can relax. It gives me some hope!

Scrooged: A rep from Calor Gas called out today and quoted £3500 to install an underground tank. When I queried why they were advertising £1500 online, he said that was for those changing from oil to gas.
  • paddytt
    paddytt Posts: 298
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Everything with LPG requires serious haggling. Even for an experienced haggler, it’s a nightmare. Calor installed a large 2000l tank for us 6 years ago, and it on,y cost £500. If I remember correctly, I finally got a £500 credit on my account as well, so it effectively cost nothing - but I bet we paid through the nose for the gas in the first year.
    But the bigger the house and tank, the better the deal you will get.
    TT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport