Tm's MFW ramblings

Comments

• turtlemoose
    turtlemoose Posts: 1,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    oh my, reading my last post was sobering.

Total change of circumstances, my MF journey will now be a solo one, throwing all previous plans out of the window.

I'm currently waiting on my remortgage to go through so that I have an extra £30k to pay off ex-OH, I'll keep the current house and the children will live with me, I'll also be taking on all jointly accrued (but in my name only) debt - currently £17k. My mortgage balance will be 120k.

I've had to go for a 35 year term simply to push the monthly payments low enough that I can afford them. I'm applying for a 5 year fix as that gives me the security of knowing my payment amount through to when my youngest is at school. At that point, the debt should be paid off and my childcare bill will be halved or less (currently £945 a month) so I hope, presuming all else is ok financially, I can reduce my term at that point.

Definitely time for a new SOA - I'm going to have to tighten the belt in all areas and there will be very little wriggle room.... if anything I suppose I will actually be a DFW not a MFW for at least 4 years. Feels like an enormous backwards step. And absolutely cr*ps all over my diary's name - MF x 2 by 42! No chance unless I get a lotto win!
  • Hey Turtlemoose,

Just dropping in having read your diary and now your most recent post - keep your head up! You seem to be very sensible and switched on and have no doubt that you can do this. Sometimes life throws up some things we cannot change, so we have to adapt and move on. Keep focussed and do what is best for you and your family. Good luck, I'll be reading and egging you on!

Rocket
    MFW - diary has finally arrived!
  • Mortgage_Minimiser
    Mortgage_Minimiser Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 April 2018 at 1:18PM
    Hey TM,

I've just read your entire diary. Go you!

Let's be honest, it was all you driving this before, so I've no doubt you can do this again.....keep smiling and focussed, you will smash this!

Cheering you on from the sidelines!

MM
    x
    O'Payments:2016 - £3641.262017 - £7779.282018 - £11,515.16MFiT-T4 # 59 - reduce mtg to £195,000; MFit-T5 - reduce mtg to £140,000Mortgage:01/2/2015 - £243,75031/12/15 - £235,906.7131/12/16 - £224,120.9831/12/17 - £210,224.0631/12/18 - £190,821.21Mortgage today £140,788
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hey TM,

I've just read your entire diary. Go you!

Let's be honest, it was all you driving this before, so I've no doubt you can do this again.....keep smiling and focussed, you will smash this!

Cheering you on from the sidelines!

MM
    x

Exactly! Read a few MF & DFWs they seem to mostly pay off quicker when it is just down to them. Whilst I have only ever had a mortgage (debt was a lot harder to get back then) I certainly found life cheaper without an other half to keep (in the style to which they are accustomed).
  • turtlemoose
    So here goes. Revised SOA. As you can see it's pretty tight. There's a little extra income here - £4 coop reward, £6 Natwest cashback, £3 Halifax reward but not counted as could go at any time.. I'll pay those towards the CCs as extra payments....plus anything I can make with selling, surveys etc will all go towards the credit cards.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household......... 2
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 2140
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 137
    Total monthly income.................... 2277

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 404
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 85 over 12m, includes sole occupancy discount
    Electricity............................. 35
    Gas..................................... 35 Gas and elec are estimates, last time I lived alone I didn't have kids.... perhaps we can get this lower.
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 24 on a meter, maybe this will drop.
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 37 stuck in contract until Jan 2019, will go PAYG then
    TV Licence.............................. 12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 10 netflix - am cancelling Virgin Media, need SOMETHING to keep me sane!
    Internet Services....................... 25 estimate based on a quick look at comparison sites, as I said, cancelling VM so looking for an internet only service instead.
    Groceries etc. ......................... 200 this is everything inc cleaning, cat food and litter, nappies, plus stuff for littlest who has multiple food allergies, packed lunches 5 days a week for DS1 and me. But I'll focus on this and try to keep it as low as possible.
    Clothing................................ 0
    Petrol/diesel........................... 0 I have a fuel card through work.
    Road tax................................ 2.5
    Car Insurance........................... 55
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 45 I drive a lot for work so car maintenance has to be a priority
    Car parking............................. 0 work pay for this
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 880 averaged over the year, boosted by 20% on top by tax free childcare
    Other child related expenses............ 50 this is presents for school kids' parties, all clothes, shoes, school trips, haircuts etc for 2 kids.
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 12
    Buildings insurance..................... 22
    Contents insurance...................... 0 included in buildings
    Life assurance ......................... 11
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 30
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 0
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Private therapist....................... 70 sadly an essential at the moment. Fortnightly sessions. Hoping to drop this as soon as I can. This will then be paid off the debt
    Green Party............................. 3
    DS2 JISA................................ 10
    DS1 JISA................................ 10
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2067.5

Assets

Cash.................................... 304
    House value (Gross)..................... 150000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 150304

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 120000...(404)......2.29
    Total secured & HP debts...... 120000....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    MBNA1..........................8260......85........0% until Sep 2020
    M&S............................1818......25........0% until Aug 2020
    AA.............................2600......52........0% until Sep 2019
    MBNA2..........................3793......50........0% until Jan 2020
    Total unsecured debts..........16471.....212.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,277
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,067.5
    Available for debt repayments........... 209.5
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 212
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -2.5

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 150,304
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -120,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -16,471
    Net Assets.............................. 13,833

Created using the SOA calculator at https://www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.
  • turtlemoose
    thanks for the supportive comments, feeling pretty emotionally bruised at the mo so it's nice to see some encouragement :o
  • Keep going, read your own diary back - I was thoroughly motivated by your previous effort!
    You are amazing!

MM
    X
    O'Payments:2016 - £3641.262017 - £7779.282018 - £11,515.16MFiT-T4 # 59 - reduce mtg to £195,000; MFit-T5 - reduce mtg to £140,000Mortgage:01/2/2015 - £243,75031/12/15 - £235,906.7131/12/16 - £224,120.9831/12/17 - £210,224.0631/12/18 - £190,821.21Mortgage today £140,788
  • Hi TM, good to see you posting again :) Have to agree with MM, you were always the driving force, and from some of the things you have said in the past I can't help but wonder if in the long term you won't find yourself better off in the end :cool:
  • turtlemoose
    .... from some of the things you have said in the past I can't help but wonder if in the long term you won't find yourself better off in the end :cool:

I've just gone back and read my diary from the start. I don't give that much detail ref ex-OH but of course re-reading has taken me right back in time to each message and I know the extra info that wasn't typed in my posts..... You're right SSS, I already know this is the right thing to do (i spent a year agonising over the decision!) and just need to plod on. Things are going to be very difficult for the next 4 years but after that I will be DF, own a 6yo car as an asset, my childcare bill will be wraparound care only.... I can do this :) it's just getting through these 4 lean years first.

Frustrating thing is if I'd gone ahead with this a year ago I'd be getting circa £570 a month in tax credits until Jan 2020......... but now my area is a Universal Credit area I'm not entitled to anything. Ouch.

My SOA is so so tight, I know I have the discipline to stick to it but I worry about things like an appliance dying or things like that. I've got zero in the budget for clothes, shoes and haircuts for me.... I'm sure I have enough stuff to keep me going over that time, but it's still a bit of a depressing thought that at the ripe old age of 32 and on a salary of £37k+, those things are luxuries I can't afford!

As anyone who's read my diary will know, I like a plan :D so i'm trying to keep myself busy thinking of what my options are. My SOA as posted is one. I know if I really really needed it, my parents would help out financially (but I don't really want to do this unless I absolutely have to). I need to have a little think about my arsenal of make/save money tools available to me. It's hard to think of more ways I can cut back as I've pretty much chopped everything i can think of.

I'm thinking (again) of selling the BTL. The tenants are now in £4.5k of rent arrears total, and they've been hit by the benefit cap so currently getting £274 every 4 weeks in HB when the rent for the same period is £480..... they're not paying any towards the shortfall.... Bit of a nightmare. I keep the BTL finances separate to my own, there's enough of a buffer in there to pay 3 more mortgage payments with their current rate of HB....then I'm well and truly stuffed. So I need to figure out what to do, whether to serve notice or what. It's hard as I don't want to kick them out but I'm not a charity either. :( if by some amazing set of circumstances they paid off the arrears that'd be brilliant, but unlikely! :rotfl:

Thinking of making/saving money, if anyone has suggestions please shout up!
    1) surveys, cashback, coupons etc etc all the mse-recommended stuff
    2) Finish KM'ing the house and sell sell sell anything that no longer sparks joy
    3) Be extremely sensible with the food budget (meal planning etc etc) and try to create a surplus here
    4) both children are boys, so save EVERYTHING from DS1 in the hope I can use it for DS2. Unfortunately the big one is a skinny thing and the little one is a tad, ahem, more solid built.... so clothes might not work, will have to wait and see. I'll save it and if it doesn't fit maybe sell....
    5) do as many business miles as I can squeeze in, as I get tax relief on it so if I do 1055 business miles in a month I get £130 extra pay.
  • The BTL does sound like something of a millstone... How much do you think it would sell for? How much is the outstanding mortgage balance?

It might be worth selling just to simplify life. If you have some equity you could perhaps use it to pay off the unsecured debts, reducing your monthly outgoings and freeing up some breathing room in the budget.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback