Old Nokia 3310 unlock?

I came across a very old post from Browntoa re SIM card not accepted in an old Nokia 3310. I wondered if you can help me with the same issue. The phone was bought from Virgin mobile - it has their logo on it. When I have tried EE, Giffgaff and my current Virgin SIM cards I get the ‘card not accepted message’. I found the IMEI number (350888/80/217918/8) inside the phone and phoned Virgin to ask them to unlock it but they found no record of it. Is there anything I can do to resurrect it or is it bound for the bin? Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    There used to be a sticky on Nokia unlocking, I can't find it, maybe someone will point you to it

I unlocked mine using a market stall
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A quick google brings up this:
    https://www.giffgaff.com/unlock/nokia-3310-phone

Be aware that it's a 2G phone, so 3G SIMs may not work.

I'm with Three who provide a 3G signal, but will use the Orange 2G network when 3G isn't available. Unfortunately, if you disable 3G or try to use a 2G phone, Three blocks your connection to Orange.

I don't know how things work with other networks.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    esuhl wrote: »
    I'm with Three who provide a 3G signal, but will use the Orange 2G network when 3G isn't available. Unfortunately, if you disable 3G or try to use a 2G phone, Three blocks your connection to Orange.

Three no longer has an arrangement to use the EE 2G signal. It is now either 3G or nothing with 3UK
  • sparky93
    sparky93 Posts: 392 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Model: Nokia (3310 )
    IMEI: 350888802179188
    Network: 23430000

#pw+634 716 458 4+1#
    #pw+362 527 849 7+2#
  • sparky93 wrote: »
    Model: Nokia (3310 )
    IMEI: 350888802179188
    Network: 23430000

#pw+634 716 458 4+1#
    #pw+362 527 849 7+2#
    Thanks. Phone now will accept my current Virgin SIM but won't accept a GiffGaff one so still locked to Virgin or could it be a 2G v 3G issue?
  • sparky93
    sparky93 Posts: 392 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    a lot of new 2g3g4g sims now wont work in a older handsets anyway.
  • esuhl
    pmduk wrote: »
    Three no longer has an arrangement to use the EE 2G signal. It is now either 3G or nothing with 3UK

I don't think so -- just a couple of weeks back, I was out in Wiltshire and my phone switched to Orange when Three wasn't available.
  • esuhl
    Thanks. Phone now will accept my current Virgin SIM but won't accept a GiffGaff one so still locked to Virgin or could it be a 2G v 3G issue?

I had a quick google and found some posts from a year ago saying that 2G phones work on GiffGaff. I don't know if that's changed...

If I were you, I'd try to get a different SIM (or two) to see if other networks work. My local supermarket has PAYG SIMs for £1, and I think some networks will probably send you one free.

You might not be able to dial out (without paying to add credit), but you should be able to call the PAYG SIM from another phone to see if your mobile is unlocked.
  • esuhl
    sparky93 wrote: »
    a lot of new 2g3g4g sims now wont work in a older handsets anyway.

A 2G SIM should work in an old 2G phone, shouldn't it...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure