RBS & Direct Debits!!! HELP ME

Options
Hi guys,
I had some monies deposited into my basic RBS account on Friday 27th February. I had one of my d/d go out the same day which still left me £1800.00 in the account.
My next d/d and standing orders wrre due toi go out on the 1st March, this is fine. However, on Saturday morning I checked the balence to withdraw some money and was £14 overdrawn becasue the d/d and s/o had been taken on the saturday. I had money which went in on the monday to cover all payments.
The problem was that I had no access to any money all weekend. i called phone bank and asked them why I had my outgoing payments taken on saturday? They replied that weekend are now classed as working days for banks!!! Since bloody when??
I asked them to release at least £500 that I was prepared to go and collect from my nearest open branch, (20 miles). They said they would put me through to the branch and it was up to them. They put me thru to a herbal store!!! I called back and went thru the same process and then the branch would not answer. I got tel number off directory enquiries and called myself, still no answer.
I had a crap weekend as you can imagine.
Can banks take money on a weekend and if not what can I do regarding the D/D guarantee and indemnity?
Thanks

Comments

• Ivory_Tinkler
    Ivory_Tinkler Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    I would give your bank a right tongue lashing - they took the money out on 28th February which isn't the first of the month, therefore they took the money too early and left you in financial difficulty. I didn't know that Saturday's were classed as a working day either so that one is new to me.

Perhaps they needed the money to pay that leech "Sir" Fred his extortionate pension.
  • devils_vixen
    Options
    This happened to me with HBOS. For 11 months, I had a d/d due to come out on 28th every month - even when this fell on the saturday, the money came out on the Monday! However, on my last payment they decided to take this out on the Saturday, which led to this bouncing, so I incurred late charges and bank charges! I was fuming as I had statements to prove that they had previously taken the money on a Monday!

I now do all my banking with RBS and find that they have deducted my account on the Saturday for and d/d's coming out on the Monday and I find this to be much easier as I can't go overdrawn and incurr charges. I have also had money credited to my account on the Sat that is due in on the Monday but not sure if this is because the company that is crediting my account banks with the same branch:confused:
  • CG19a
    CG19a Posts: 765 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys,
    I had some monies deposited into my basic RBS account on Friday 27th February. I had one of my d/d go out the same day which still left me £1800.00 in the account.
    My next d/d and standing orders wrre due toi go out on the 1st March, this is fine. However, on Saturday morning I checked the balence to withdraw some money and was £14 overdrawn becasue the d/d and s/o had been taken on the saturday. I had money which went in on the monday to cover all payments.
    The problem was that I had no access to any money all weekend. i called phone bank and asked them why I had my outgoing payments taken on saturday? They replied that weekend are now classed as working days for banks!!! Since bloody when??
    I asked them to release at least £500 that I was prepared to go and collect from my nearest open branch, (20 miles). They said they would put me through to the branch and it was up to them. They put me thru to a herbal store!!! I called back and went thru the same process and then the branch would not answer. I got tel number off directory enquiries and called myself, still no answer.
    I had a crap weekend as you can imagine.
    Can banks take money on a weekend and if not what can I do regarding the D/D guarantee and indemnity?
    Thanks

I bank with RBS, and they've always treated Sat and Sun as a Monday, since they aren't working days, do my direct debits etc always show up on the Sat but are dated as leaving the Monday. The same is also true though for any BACS payments into my account, like wages, if they are due on the Monday, they are there on the Saturday. The informal rule is that you have until 2.30pm on the day of the direct debit to make sure the money is in your account to avoid a charge, although their actual rules do state that the money needs to be in your account the working day before.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure