Advertising for a freelance "employee"

Supersonos
Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
edited 5 October 2019 at 10:48PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
I work for other companies on a freelance basis. I then tell that company who else to contract so they can work with me to get the job done. Technically I become their "boss", but they're actually working for the higher company rather than me directly.

It's getting hard to find good people to ask for. Could I advertise offering someone training and the potential of work but without any contract/guarantees?

Or by advertising and offering free, casual training, am I somehow then responsible for that person getting work/holiday pay/sick pay etc?

Am I able to interview people and offer to train them/"employ" them, but say they have to be self-employed?

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Supersonos wrote: »
    I work for other companies on a freelance basis. I then tell that company who else to contract so they can work with me to get the job done. Technically I become their "boss", but they're actually working for the higher company rather than me directly.

It's getting hard to find good people to ask for. Could I advertise offering someone training and the potential of work but without any contract/guarantees?

Or by advertising and offering free, casual training, am I somehow then responsible for that person getting work/holiday pay/sick pay etc?

Am I able to interview people and offer to train them/"employ" them, but say they have to be self-employed?

You are getting into areas you don't understand and they are much trickier than you might think. Meeting the requirements for self-employment is down to HMRC, not anyone else - and even then these people could claim they were 'workers' even if not employees.

If you are going to employ people you need to be absolutely up to speed with the relevant requirements/regulations - and that could apply even if you contract them via their own limited company.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!

It's getting hard to find good people to ask for.

That'll be because people can either find work themselves or would rather be an employee.

Bite the bullet and do it properly, or just take on smaller jobs. This sounds like tax evasion to me. Which also screams DODGY BOSS.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Supersonos
    That'll be because people can either find work themselves or would rather be an employee.

Bite the bullet and do it properly, or just take on smaller jobs. This sounds like tax evasion to me. Which also screams DODGY BOSS.

Blimey! Not sure how you got tax evasion from what I've said!

I would consider doing it "properly", but as I am freelance myself, I am unable to commit to employing someone directly - I can't guarantee my own work let alone someone else's.

I work in an industry that is desirable but notoriously hard to get into - everyone is freelance and all jobs are short-term (a few weeks at most). Most people work for free for several weeks or months in the hope of getting paid work, which often ends up with them leaving the industry.

I just want to find someone suitable, give them training and then put them forward for work. Is this a bad thing?
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I just want to find someone suitable, give them training and then put them forward for work. Is this a bad thing?

Sounds rather naive. You are taking considerable risks, not least with your own reputation.
  • Supersonos
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Sounds rather naive. You are taking considerable risks, not least with your own reputation.

You are aware I haven't done anything yet, right? And I agree that I'm naiive, but that's why I'm here trying to get information.

So far, what you've said has taught me nothing. What are the risks? And how would this affect my reputation?

I thought I was trying to do a good thing (give someone training and a way into an industry).
  • Guesses
    Guesses Posts: 26 Forumite
    Hi - I've joined the forum to add a comment to this, as this sounds very much like my situation.

I'm a freelance TV cameraman and use the services of freelance camera assistants.

I've been considering making contact with a local college/university and offering some sort of casual camera apprenticeship, but as I'm freelance and have no idea how much work I'll have in the future, I would not be able to actually employ them. I'd be offering them training and request them on my jobs.

From what I've read here, is this not something I should consider doing?
  • Guesses wrote: »
    Hi - I've joined the forum to add a comment to this, as this sounds very much like my situation.

I'm a freelance TV cameraman and use the services of freelance camera assistants.

I've been considering making contact with a local college/university and offering some sort of casual camera apprenticeship, but as I'm freelance and have no idea how much work I'll have in the future, I would not be able to actually employ them. I'd be offering them training and request them on my jobs.

From what I've read here, is this not something I should consider doing?

That doesn't mean you can't employ people. Zero hour contracts may not be liked by some but they are legal.
  • Supersonos wrote: »
    You are aware I haven't done anything yet, right? And I agree that I'm naiive, but that's why I'm here trying to get information.

So far, what you've said has taught me nothing. What are the risks? And how would this affect my reputation?

I thought I was trying to do a good thing (give someone training and a way into an industry).

Nothing stopping you doing that. What has been explained to you is there are legalities to it all which you need to stringently follow.
  • Guesses
    Guesses Posts: 26 Forumite
    Nothing stopping you doing that. What has been explained to you is there are legalities to it all which you need to stringently follow.

Would you explain the legalities?

What is illegal about me offering someone work but not employing them directly? I don't directly employ the camera assistants I currently use, but I believe this is all ok?

How would that be different to me offering training to someone from a college and giving them the skills to become a camera assistant themselves?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There are strict guidelines around apprenticeships. If you can't guarantee work throughout the year, at times which allow the apprentice to attend college, it won't fly.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport