Collective Energy Switch Feb 2nd

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    The BG dual fuel collective Electricity prices are by a long way the cheapest available. Their gas prices are much more expensive than many others.

Overall, for my heavy consumption, they are marginally the cheapest; even comparing gas and electricity from separate suppliers.
  • Thanks for the replies. I only mentioned this as the switch clearly claimed to be the cheapest on the market which it isn't. I will of course use the comparison site to get the best deal and I am very grateful for this service. My post was not a criticism just an observation.
  • I have just checked with BG who are doing the MSE collective energy switch. They say I can move the deal with me if I move house, anyone else been told that as its not what it says on website
  • Am I the only person who can't access the site?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No. MSE Dan is the only person who can!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • wavelets wrote: »
    Are you sure you have a 3-phase supply?
    That is normally only provided to commercial premesis (usually ones with high consumption)

You will have major issues getting a domestic tariff if you have a 3-phase supply.

Sounds like you are actually simply on a E10 syle legacy tariff - attempting to switch supplier will end in tears. Even you having removed yourself from the legacy tariff may cause issues.

Best to get the job done proerly and get the wiring to the house seen to and the meter changed to a universal type. (I presume the fact you have left the E10 tariff means you have already got rid of the various appliances designed to be used with it)

Yes I do have 3 phase - I think all our cul de sac has it, suspect that many had storage heater CH when built - I think our house had individual ones, a neighbour still has a large one in the utility with feeds to radiators like a normal CH system!

When I tried to change to SP, I was told I had an E10 meter, but eventually it turned out the meter database had an error and in fact it's an E7 meter. However, we've been on a single rate tariff since we moved here in 2007, and both BG and Sainsburys websites can handle this. Don't know if SSE, Eon and Npower can - didn't check as the BG switch was slightly better.
  • macman wrote: »
    No. MSE Dan is the only person who can!

Ah. :mad:

Now have a dead panda...
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I have an Economy 7 meter. I know that BG will aggregate off-peak and peak consumption and treat as a single total on a 24/7 single rate tariff. i.e. 3,000kWh peak and 1,000kWh off-peak will be treated as 4,000kWh.

However if I switch to the BG dual fuel collective are there any measures I need to take to ensure it goes through without a hitch. i.e. can I stipulate single rate with an E7 meter when switching?
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    footyguy wrote: »
    I thought I'd missed it.

Then if I look far enough down the page I find British Gas for a dual fuel deal. I didn't look any further down.

So looked at Electricity only. Eon were not bad, but not the cheapest for E7 for me. But as I don't use too much low rate electricity, then I'd currently be better off with single rate (which I know Eon will do despite the E7 meter).

But it only saves me £2 a year compared to their existing Fixed 1 Year v19 Online tariff. (same daily standing charge and a small reduction in the unit rate).

Think I'll hold off until my existing deal expires in a few months time as I have an early exit fee to consider. Existing deal currently costs £1 per month extra on average over the year. No where near a big enough difference to tempt me to switch today, sorry.

Edit: Actually, switching to non-E7 does make BG competitive for dual fuel (and BG will also supply single rate despite an E7 meter). But still would only save me about a quid a month on average - not enough to tempt me to switch either, sorry.

Seperate suppliers is still cheaper for us.

Hi footyguy

You're right, we can bill customers with a two rate Economy 7 meter on a single rate tariff. All we do is add the day and night usage together and charge at the one rate. This can be set up on our website too.

Not sure who you're with but, if it's with us, there are no exit fees for changing from one E.ON tariff to another.

Hope this is of interest footyguy.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Arrggh, no, I nearly got on then. Logged me in to say 'you could save £311' or whatnot and then wouldn't go through to the next page.

You had me so close, Martin...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport