My journey to a debt free life

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,327
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Oh dear, you two ladies remind me of me! I also want chickens but I'm glad I didn't get any before the winter as it's been so harsh. I also have lots of craft projects (2 lots of knitting and umpteen embroidery kits), none of which I've finished so I'm not buying any more (unless they persuade me they can't belong to anyone else). I saved a pattern from a magazine of a deer in winter which is totally gorgeous and I fear someone accidentally throwing it out, ditto a sampler which has old-fashioned homely furniture on - and there are about five embroideries on the go too.

I do like the idea of something handmade for a special present: my sister made us a heart-shaped embroidered cushion for out engagement which I still have 30 years later. It's really lovely.

OBL, I hope the antidepressants and the sunshine soon combine to make you feel better. I see you are having that issue with apostrophes turning into strange strings of letters. There are work-arounds for it which sadly I don't remember as neither worked for me - it varies according to whether you are using phone, laptop etc and is something in keyboards setting I believe.
    This winter has been the harshest yet since I've owned my hens,I have struggled to keep them in the manner to which they have become accustomed on several occasions and the annoyed clucking coming from the coop in the morning let's me know I am not being a good landlady,I've only got two at the moment so they are a bit more manageable,I had 6 at one point but rapidly discovered that that was too much for me
    I made my daughter and son in law a wedding sampler for their wedding which they have on their living room wall and I've also made them a birth sampler which I've yet to frame and give to them
    I think the antidepressants are starting to work now,they take a while to get into your system but I felt a good spark of enthusiasm and happiness yesterday and that hasn't happened for a while, Im feeling a bit more energetic too, the sun was out today and felt lovely when I took the dog out earlier,it was sooooo nice to feel it's warmth
    Yes I had the dreaded apostrophe problem,I would get strings of numbers in my words and it was driving me mad,I am using an iPad and I went into settings and turned off smart punctuation which worked:T I also turned off predictive text while I was there I that was driving me mad as well:rotfl:
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,857
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Predictive text is the absolute bane of my life!:rotfl: I would turn it off too but when it behaves it's quite useful.

You wonder why they have a setting which can turn readable punctuation into nonsense. :) I mean - some disgruntled employee put that in place just before leaving the job? Or does it convey something the to initiated?

Yesterday was gorgeous, wasn't it? This morning seems to be wet but it will help the flowers and the forecast is better for this afternoon.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Forumite
    Predictive text is the absolute bane of my life!:rotfl: I would turn it off too but when it behaves it's quite useful.

You wonder why they have a setting which can turn readable punctuation into nonsense. :) I mean - some disgruntled employee put that in place just before leaving the job? Or does it convey something the to initiated?

Yesterday was gorgeous, wasn't it? This morning seems to be wet but it will help the flowers and the forecast is better for this afternoon.
    I hate predictive text,I type enough twaddle on my own without that trying to help me:rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    Forumite
    wellnpay day has arrived and all I can say is this month is gong to be super tight,I have just about enough to cover all my bills and food but any unexpected bills will not be covered,last month was very low on unsocial hours and I also owed £62.50 for an overpayment in December wages,I had thought this would be covered by the fact I didn't have to pay the council tax and last month it was,I also thought I didn't have council tax this month but it's this month that the payments start again so it's not there to cover the payment that's come out of my wages,it's not a complete disaster though as I have
    £21 saved in pound coins
    £25 that I got for Mother's Day and haven't spent yet
    £100 that should be going into the emergency fund,this will still be paid into that savings account when I get it,but it's there if I need it
    So I don't need to panic at all...........phew
    Next month should be better as I think I have more unsocial hours this month and I won't be having anything extra deducted from my wages,so it's time to really pull in the purse strings this month and see how it pans out,if I can get through this month without using any of the above mentioned money then I can get through anything
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,938
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My next month's nf the month after will be tight too, self employment during snow days sucks!

And I am with you on the Xmas gift. I did it for the first time last year and it worked well. It was so nice being able to buy things he kids actually wanted when they asked, rather than having to wait for November pay and then hoping it was enough.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,857
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 March 2018 at 11:39PM
    I wouldn't feel too bad if you need to dip into the emergency fund (though obviously in an ideal world you will put the £100 in there and leave it). After all, emergency funds are for emergencies.

Hopefully you will be able to pick up a few more unsociable hours to redress the balance. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    It's hard some months isn't it? We are a bit tight this month and I had to move a bit from savings into the normal account to make sure there was enough for DD's that come out in the next few days. Its my own silly fault for spending too much on DD's birthday and easter eggs for GS's when I really shouldn't have done. Should get better soon though.
  • Onebrokelady
    Forumite
    My next month's nf the month after will be tight too, self employment during snow days sucks!

And I am with you on the Xmas gift. I did it for the first time last year and it worked well. It was so nice being able to buy things he kids actually wanted when they asked, rather than having to wait for November pay and then hoping it was enough.
    I felt so sorry for all the SE people when we had the snow, people around me were wishing for us to get snow but I was just thinking nooooooooo it's not good, my SIL is self employed so he couldn't work while it was here,Im lucky in that I managed to get to work and I get paid regardless,I would have to use AL but at least I still get paid
    I definitely know where you are coming from when you say about waiting for November and hoping it's enough,I've been doing that for god knows how long and then feeling bad and bunging things on my card,I don't know why because my DC are adults and always tell me not to spend too much,they are going to get a shock this year because I am going to take their advice :rotfl:
  • Onebrokelady
    Forumite
    I wouldn't feel too bad if you need to dip into the emergency fund (though obviously in an ideal world you will put the £100 in there and leave it). After all, emergency funds are for emergencies.

Hopefully you will be able to pick up a few more unsociable hours to redress the balance. :)
    Im hoping I won't have to because it's become a bit of personal challenge to save at the moment and I'm really enjoying it,it will really annoy me if I have to use any of my savings,I'm looking on it as the ultimate money saving challenge this month,I felt a bit down when I saw what I'd been paid but now I'm up for making it work:j
    Also see my up date below as there is good news but not until next month:)
  • Onebrokelady
    Forumite
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    It's hard some months isn't it? We are a bit tight this month and I had to move a bit from savings into the normal account to make sure there was enough for DD's that come out in the next few days. Its my own silly fault for spending too much on DD's birthday and easter eggs for GS's when I really shouldn't have done. Should get better soon though.
    It's difficult sometimes though isn't it because you still want to treat the little people in your life,Im lucky this year as DGS is too small to know anything about it,I normally buy eggs for me and my daughter but due to me actually forgetting that Easter is this weekend we haven't got one,I'm a bit sad because I do like an egg but we go to Tesco's shopping on Saturday so there might be some in the sale :rotfl: or I might just buy a large bars of chocolate each as that is cheaper :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback