£50k to zero - made it across the finish line

Comments

• It has been a much more active day than I expected! Work was open, and I got to my meeting via two buses, with only one undignified plop onto the pavement n route (I like to think I looked as graceful as a tree being felled, but who am I kidding? :rotfl: )

MSE-type-things:

1) I may be going in for *yet another* balance transfer shuffle this month, as MBNA have kindly replaced the offer that ended yesterday with one offering 4.9% at no fee until March 2022. I am going to hang on until all my statements come in mid-month so I can see exactly what expires when, and see whether I will actually gain any time from shuffling again.

2) Claimed a free pint of IPA from Brewdog (they are giving away a million pints) - not sure if I will be going past a Brewdog pub between now and the end of April,but if I do, then I have an emailed voucher to use.

3) Decided not to splurge on the planned £2.80 mug of hot chocolate on the way back from my meeting; instead bought a small bar of chocolate to enjoy with my made-in-office cuppa.
    Debt-free August 21, Mortgage-neutral April 24
  • Oh dear re the graceful fall to the pavement :eek: hope it was a soft landing and no damage :o
    Hopefully maybe work from home tomorrow?!
    Weather seems to be quite something tonight/tomorrow, son’s school closed tomorrow.
    Hopefully balance transfer offer will be of use.
    Keep warm All!!
  • One-step-at-a-time
    One-step-at-a-time Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 August 2020 at 2:00PM
    Thanks Strawberryfield - apparently I have this falling thing down to an art, no bruising! :)
    It has only been two and a half weeks since I started posting here, but it already feels like a lot has changed. The thing that I am most pleased about is that for the first time in a decade, my pre-debt sensible self appears to be well and truly back.
    When I read back through my first post I can now see that I had hit a really low point, but writing it down has galvanised me into action in a way that what I will now call my five watt LBM in December 2016 did not quite manage. :)
    The last couple of months have seen us overhauling our expenses to save hundreds of pounds a year, saving £1500 upfront towards a repayment, shifting more than £5.5k of high-interest debt onto a low rate, paying down a few hundred £ extra, and doing loads of little positive things.
    Here's a list of some of the habits I have got myself into since December 2016. Husband is happy to go along with most of this stuff.

1) Any loose change smaller than a 20p is decanted into the piggy bank on weekly basis. When it gets full, coins are bagged and banked and chucked straight at a credit card, or used for work lunch ingredients.

2) All shopping outside of large bi-monthly online shop is now paid for in cash.

3) Supermarket loyalty cards are used whenever possible, and rewards spent when they become available to reduce food bills.

4) Prepackaged meals are not bought unless they have at least 75% yellow label discount (this has probably saved me more money than anything else; I used to have an horrendous M&S ready meals habit)

5) NSDs are had whenever feasible (this is a new thing for me since January, but so far at least 4 a week)

6) DIY lunches for us both every day

7) I log in to bank & cc accounts several times a week, update debt totals spreadsheet after every statement/payment/overpayment and note down next mini-goal. This is also a massive change; other than my current account I ignored everything for YEARS. Literally. My CCs were on minimum payment direct debits and I had no clue what the damage was (thank you, anaemia brain fog)

8) Clothes buying is absolutely minimal - I plan to buy nothing new at all during 2018 (possible exceptions - replacement underwear/socks). H will need new boots at some point, and possibly a pair of jeans, but that!!!8217;s pretty much it for the year.

9) No spends on haircuts (not a new one - we have been totally DIY for the last 7 years, my hair is long and straight and easy to trim and mot dyed, so this is an easy one, and I have been cutting husband's hair for 20 years)

10) One in three out rule for anything that is a want! and not a need. I actually started this a lot more hardcore at 'one in, ten out' when it came to clothes, to make me thing really hard about whether something was actually a need, and prompt me to weed the wardrobe properly.
    11) No excursions unless paid for entirely by selling stuff on ebay
    12) Getting in the habit of not leaving things on standby (another obvious one)

More when I think of them!
  • Magpie100
    Magpie100 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You seem incredibly in control - well done! I see you haven't posted an SOA yet (I don't think) - it might be good if you did as people here can often find magical ways of shaving off yet a few more pennies here and there. I appreciate not everyone wants to lay bare their financial life for all to see, but the less of a big deal you make these things and the more open you are the better, I find.

Snowing heavily where I am but I have been working from home today and have cabin fever! I really need to leave the house tomorrow, even if only for a walk...

Enjoy your weekend. M100
  • Hi Magpie! I decided not to post the SOA for now as we have changed and re-jigged so many payments, contracts and utilities recently that there are quite a few numbers still in flux. I want to monitor things for a month and deal with the possible double payments from utility & phone contract switching before re-aligning the pots again and putting it out there for review!
    Although I am a lot happier with the vast majority of the numbers now, there are still potentially plenty of savings to be made in the next few months with policies that renew in the summer, plus I have one interest-free credit payment that ends in July that will free up another £72/month. The real focus is on earning more!
    The current SOA is light years away from what I would have posted if I had been here a year ago and I will not be shy about asking for suggestions when the time comes :)
  • :hello: One-Step glad you did not hurt yourself! and are home in the warm.
    M100 - Good advice re the SOA, know its not easy to bare all as you say.

One- Step - good to see the good habits you have listed :T
    One thing I do want to do more in a mse vein is use coupons/find them, I do like to do what I call a triple, buy food on promotion, use a money off coupon for the product and use a money off total shop coupon (i have been know to do this plus use wOtrose 20% off pickyourown (sadly stopped :( and got my free paper + used my newspaper subscription voucher so got difference back off shopping! I dont drink tea/coffee so no need for that but I did come out quite smug lol). O/cado I have a really cheap smart pass which doesnt matter if dont use it, but if i wait they usually send me a money off shop code, so I use that, make sure I check out a few times nearer cut off point for editing order to take advantage of flash sales, i also now maximise tosco price match, so look for branded things on offer and buy at ocado but do so to the point where I get the voucher up to £10. Bit of a faff but get tosco offer prices to my door with a bit of extra off when i get a voucher code. That was a but long LOL but basically I dont mind a bit of a faff to get a bargain others cant be bothered, tthis area is where people can get ahead in cutting food bills, the elite shopping thread though is somehing else I cant keep up!
    Also I do like to get ebay bargains for clothes/shoes when I can.

Have a good weekend :)
  • *** should have added not sure where you shop one-step but we are lucky to have home bargains and b&m nearby which are very good for bargains, but I am totally disloyal to supermarkets etc I literally do not use the same place week in week out I find being disloyal pays as they tend to send vouchers to tempt you back! I appreciate though you probably need to be disciplined and stick to routine.
  • One-step-at-a-time
    One-step-at-a-time Posts: 601 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 15 October 2020 at 2:42PM
    Thank you Strawberryfield - no supermarket loyalty here (barring my very expensive former shortcut through M&S on the way home!). No b&m or home bargains local to me, but Asda, Sainsbury & Co-op all within walking distance so those tend to be my yellow sticker destinations. I never organise the big online food shop as hubby does that, we have accounts with several stores and compare prices/offers. He's very good at doing the price comparisons, but additionally I always police the contents of the basket and usually slim it down to meet our target spend. My physical shopping tends to be restricted to fresh things needed for meal planning and yellow stickers that correspond with what we normally buy.

One thing in my/our favour is that I actually really don't like shopping, and am a list person not a browser - you wouldn't think that from the level of debt, but the majority of it is from life mismanagement and experiences and interests, not physical stuff. :)

Have a great weekend!
  • Magpie100
    Magpie100 Posts: 244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Oh good - I was hoping you would have considered the SOA issue - completely understand you only want to post it at a point where it will be useful to you. You sound very organised and as if your lightbulb is fully switched on, so I am sure you can stay on top of things and then do some fine-tuning when you do post an SOA. M100
  • Hello All, One-Step, quite jealous you have an asdO nearby as I would love to try to do some of the AsdO Price Guarantee (APG) on the elite threads but would have to do online and it would be pointless as they always sub loads if I order from them! Amazed that your hubby does the online shop, mine would not be interested in doing that at all.

Honestly was quite shocked when you say your not a big fan of shopping, I just automatically assume anyone with debt must be out of control with shopping, just shows what I know !! I have been in debt once a long time ago when young, hubby bailed me out when we got together and have been very wary of credit cards ever since. So have one for spending that gets paid off in full each month to get points. That was shopping and nothing else really and definately learnt my lesson so I do sympathise with your struggle.

When you say life experiences etc contributed to debt we have not been abroad for years, not that I dont want to as such but dont have the funds and have accepted it if you know what I mean. This area I think is quite hard for people to accept if they have got used to doing certain things. In some ways this is a bit like my problem with chocolate :o I really know should not eat a lot of it but sometimes its like an addiction :eek:

TC :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure