Royal Mail

Had some flowers delivered today, and at first I was puzzled why it was wrapped in polythene, then I turned it over and I can't believe the state of the box. I'm not sure how Royal Mail have managed to damage it quite so badly.... though to be fair, the flowers were fine inside the box.

I should add these were unwanted 'apology' flowers from a business, so I'm not really bothered, I just posted it because I can scarcely believe the cheek of Royal Mail delivering a box of flowers in that state.

flowers1570f9.jpg

flowers2fdffd.jpg
ESzq

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Would you rather they just binned them?

Royal Mail is a high volume service, it's not designed for delicate items and things are inevitably going to get thrown around.

Glad the flowers were OK though. A nice surprise even if unwanted.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd rather they had done their job properly, as it's pretty clear the box has been a lot more than just thrown around. Also, I'm not really sure a cardboard box can be considered a delicate item.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    I would email the pictures to the flower suppliers.

It would show how inadequate thier boxes are and how bad Royal Mail is in delivering them.

You got away with it but next time someone else might not.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 April 2018 at 6:25AM
    It could be in shreds. It is still mail and due delivery.
    Looks to me like the box got damp/wet on route.
    Now let me add some experience. you get flowers/plants sometimes with oasis foam/water inside that leaks. Not always the package you get but in the same batch.
    mac.d wrote: »
    I'd rather they had done their job properly, as it's pretty clear the box has been a lot more than just thrown around. Also, I'm not really sure a cardboard box can be considered a delicate item.

I could crush that box with my hands easily. Would you say thats robust?
    Do you image these boxes getting handled individually and placed onto a single container to be transported in a little van?
    robin58 wrote: »
    I would email the pictures to the flower suppliers.

It would show how inadequate thier boxes are and how bad Royal Mail is in delivering them.

You got away with it but next time someone else might not.

Its a system that works most of the time. Same with all carriers carrying perishables.
  • mac.d
    It's only the outside of the box that has been wet, so nothing has leaked inside, possibly been another item they've mishandled has leaked all over my parcel. :p

I never said anything about the parcel being delicate or robust, that's other people who are saying that....

The fact is, its pretty clearly been mishandled somewhere in the delivery process, and I'm well aware what the delivery process is like in Royal Mail, mass parcel handling doesn't mean its fine for parcels to be delivered in a sorry state!

I know they still have to deliver it, but they used to attach an apology to damaged items, though it was usually letters that had been torn in machines.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker

The fact is, its pretty clearly been mishandled somewhere in the delivery process, and I'm well aware what the delivery process is like in Royal Mail, mass parcel handling doesn't mean its fine for parcels to be delivered in a sorry state!

If the packaging isn't robust enough to withstand RM's handling then that's the fault of the sender, they should use stronger materials or an alternative delivery method. I'd guess that they don't because it would cost more and they'd have to charge their customers more.
  • mac.d
    As far as cardboard boxes go, it's fairly thick and appears pretty strong, and generally fit for the purpose its meant for. I'm not really sure why everyone seems to assume the box is delicate or not robust enough for its intended use?
  • custardy
    edited 13 April 2018 at 6:14PM
    As far as cardboard boxes go, it's fairly thick and appears pretty strong, and generally fit for the purpose its meant for. I'm not really sure why everyone seems to assume the box is delicate or not robust enough for its intended use?

Well having handled hundreds of them,I can say they are up to stopping the flowers escaping,yes.

Couldnt find a decent picture of a york trolley.

royal-mail-workers-load-mail-onto-trolleys-after-it-has-arrived-in-E3XEJ3.jpg

If the flowers are on the base of the york,could they handle a couple of hundred kilos of parcels on top?
    It's only the outside of the box that has been wet, so nothing has leaked inside, possibly been another item they've mishandled has leaked all over my parcel. :p

I never said anything about the parcel being delicate or robust, that's other people who are saying that....

I know they still have to deliver it, but they used to attach an apology to damaged items, though it was usually letters that had been torn in machines.

Large damaged bags dont have the same printing as the smaller ones. No idea why.
    I used to put a small damage bag inside.

You say its clearly mishandled. So if someone poorly packages a parcel with liquid inside and it leaks. Who is at fault for the damage items from thel iquid?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Was the parcel marked to indicate it was flowers and/or fragile.

I hae had flowers delivered by Royal Mil many times and they have always been in prefect condition.

But they were packed in solid cardboard boxes and marked as accordingly.
  • custardy
    sheramber wrote: »
    Was the parcel marked to indicate it was flowers and/or fragile.

I hae had flowers delivered by Royal Mil many times and they have always been in prefect condition.

But they were packed in solid cardboard boxes and marked as accordingly.

Its a flower box,all the carriers know whats inside them.
    However its obvious the cardboard has been wet, and everyone knows how 'robust' wet cardboard is.
    All you can do is try and dry it out as best you can, whilst minimising damage. Looks to me like the did the right thing.
    allowed it to dry and then bagged it up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure