Signing on for Nat Insurance Contributions

Since being made redundant right at the end of 2018 I've been attempting unsuccessfully to get a business off the ground and so over the last couple of months I've been really focusing on applying for full time jobs with little success.

I'm now wanting to 'sign on' in order to get Nat Insurance contributions and hopefully to get a bit of support and advice from the Job Centre to successfully find work. I know that I won't be entitled to get any money as my partner earns too much and that's fine.

Is this possible or because I won't be entitled to any money does that mean they'll just close my claim? Do I just need to make a joint claim on the .gov website?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Mrsn
    Mrsn Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Do you have any children and claiming child benefit? if so you should automatically be getting national insurance contributions via that
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    edited 27 January 2020 at 9:14PM
    Ahsoka wrote: »
    I know that I won't be entitled to get any money as my partner earns too much and that's fine.

Not necessarily true. If you have full NI record from April 2017 to March 2019 you could qualify for new style JSA payments. Although you were made redundant in 2018 you may have paid enough NI for the 2028-209 year depending on what you were earning prior to being made redundant.

If you want to get the NI credits only I think you have to do this by claiming new style JSA anyway and DWP will check your NI record when you do this.

If you do qualify for payments it's £73.10/week for maximum 26 weeks.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,938 Forumite
    calcotti wrote: »
    Not necessarily true. If you have full NI record from April 2017 to March 2019 you could qualify for new style ESA payments.
    As the OP is looking for work, i think you mean New Style JSA, rather than ESA :)
  • calcotti
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    As the OP is looking for work, i think you mean New Style JSA, rather than ESA :)
    I did indeed, have amended my post. Thanks for spotting this.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Ahsoka
    Ahsoka Posts: 10 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies.

No children or dependents so not claiming child support or anything.

Regarding Job Seekers Allowance, I signed on and got that for about a month straight after being made redundant but then closed my claim when I decided that I wasn’t going to look for work, but have a go at working for myself.
  • calcotti
    Ahsoka wrote: »
    Regarding Job Seekers Allowance, I signed on and got that for about a month straight after being made redundant but then closed my claim when I decided that I wasn’t going to look for work, but have a go at working for myself.

You need to reapply to get the credits and, as noted above, you may qualify for payments depending on NI record.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure