Electricity readings rising fast

Options

Comments

• Ingenious_jim
    Options
    I'm disabled so home most of the time, no one is using the dryer except on rare occasions for emergency drying. In the middle of testing the meter now with nothing turned on so hopefully will have a better understanding. In the time since starting this post about 3 hours ago we have used 5kwh and only a TV one light and a fan we're on.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In the time since starting this post about 3 hours ago we have used 5kwh and only a TV one light and a fan we're on.

The fan you mention, is it just moving the air around or is it also heating as well?

I only ask as using a fan is not typical at this time of year, but fan-heaters are often used...

Also, what type of TV? ... plasma screens for example do use quite a bit of energy compared to LCD/OLED etc.
  • tim_p
    tim_p Posts: 691 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have a hot water tank with an immersion? Could that be on continuously? How about the bulbs again, how many on at the moment?
  • Ingenious_jim
    Options
    The fan is just a regular fan we bought as my partner gets hot a lot so just uses it to cool down sometimes. Bulbs we only have one or 2 on at a time.
  • Ingenious_jim
    Options
    The meter did not go up within that hour of no power.
  • MWT
    Options
    Then switch stuff on one item at a time and see what happens...

Maybe start with the TV ...
  • MWT
    Options
    ... or given the time of day perhaps the lights should come first :)
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Switch off absolutely everything, read the meter and make sure the red light isn't flashing, then switch on a high power item such as a 3kW electric fire or fan heater for one hour and re-read the meter.

If it has recorded significantly more than 3kWh usage then it's probably faulty.
  • Ingenious_jim
    Options
    I have been turning things on one at a time. The fan was our initial suspect but the meter did not change in an hour along with living room light on. We have now turned the fridge on to see what happens.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    Options
    As you're averaging over 1500W, something fairly meaty is eating the juice. Immersion heater or some underfloor heating you're not aware of maybe?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure