PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can't sell 1 bed flat in Eastcote, Middlesex

Hi All,

Writing here in frustration, 5 months into trying to sell our one-bed flat in a desirable estate, fed up with the estate agents' crap advice.

The flat is on Rightmove, it's the only one on at £305k in Eastcote (can't post link).

Thoughts welcome.

We bought it in 2014, and it's been a long and painful process. Basically my mother had some money that she wanted to invest in property, but didn't want to get a mortgage in her name, so I sort of got railroaded into taking on the mortgage, and the idea was that we would split the equity between us.

Don't even enter into business with your parents, people. Although we originally agreed it was an investment, my parents signed me into a deal that said that all three of us had to agree to sell it. Which ultimately meant that my parents vetoed anything I said. In 2016 the area was literally a named property hotspot in London, and the prices went up astronomically, but my mum didn't want to sell. Eventually, because my boyfriend also wasn't allowed to move in, we moved out of London to rent, while my brother moved into the flat, but I couldn't buy another place because the mortgage was in my name and I couldn't sell, so I'm still renting now.

Brexit happened amidst all of this, and then my mum unexpectedly got cancer, and long story short, within a year she died from a very rare reaction to the chemo treatment sad. I know I moan about it above, but I miss her a lot and am so annoyed that this situation made our last few years quite difficult and led to a lot of disagreements.

Obviously with the family reeling from what happened in October 2018, we couldn't think about selling for another while after that, but we all agreed by August 2019 to put it on the market. And since then, like, zilch.

We chose a crap estate agent who, despite only managing to get one viewing at a time that was supposedly quite busy, did manage to get us an offer from an investor that seemed to be a personal friend of theirs, but then after 8 weeks of our solicitors dealing with them they said they had to change solicitors and start the process again. When we got annoyed about this the estate agents stupidly put the flat back on the market, and then the buyers pulled out. We changed agents, and they've only managed to get us a handful of viewings since November (yeah, I know, it's a quiet time of year, but plenty of other places are selling).

My mum chose the flat and she was pretty good at choosing places that were desirable. It's in a nice estate, and apparently the 2 beds are selling like hotcakes but no one wants the one beds. It doesn't make sense to me at all - we've already dropped our price and it is substantially (more than 10%) lower than its peak price in 2016, but we keep getting told that we have to cut it more if we want people to even bother coming to view it! It doesn't make sense to me, as it's a nice flat, in a nice area, and surely there are some people who want 1 bed flats and can't afford 2 beds. Surely there is always a market for 1 beds for people who just want to get onto the housing ladder.

Very very frustrating, sorry for the rant, but some insight from anyone would be great - what the markets are like in your areas, what you know about selling one beds, etc.

Thanks!

K

Comments

• need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 January 2020 at 11:55AM
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-86505251.html

Straight away I notice that there are 5 other 1 bed's cheaper than yours.
    I don't know the area at all so cant comment but on the face of it price would automatically stick out as a very strong contributing factor to not selling.

1 beds make great renters but its is actually the 2 beds that tend to make better homes,thats my experience as a LL in the area in which I live nd rent...so there is an element that I understand from your post as to why if a purchaser could afford to go for a 2 bed it gives them the potential for more longevity in the property.

Your photos are well presented the only issue I might have is the guide price wording...it sometimes puts buyers off simply because they don't know what to offer.

Perhaps consider changing that to an amount or even worst case scenario offers invited sounds a little more meaningful.

Have you had feedback from any viewings?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • I know, but three of those are like 5k cheaper, and are smaller flats? We're not expecting an asking price offer, we just don't understand why 5k would mean that people don't even arrange a viewing and then make an offer that they consider appropriate.

When we spoke to four different estate agents in the summer, 3 out of the 4 said go in at 315-320. We did that and got no interest, so came down to 305. Obviously the further down you go, the more stupid offers you get. - so we're hesitant.
  • Retired_Mortgage_Adviser
    Retired_Mortgage_Adviser Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 January 2020 at 12:03PM
    I don't know much about the market in that side of London but generally speaking 1 beds used to be prime BTL property, especially for newbie landlords or those with a lower deposit. Since all the tax changes, that demand has fallen away significantly, thus dampening prices.

I myself strugged to sell one of my rental 1 beds last year in zone 4 on the eastern of the central line and finally put it back on the rental market as it was still letting well.
  • laptop80
    laptop80 Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Looks a nice little flat in a decent area. Not what you want to hear but it's always price. If you drop it to the right level you will generate interest; otherwise you are waiting for that one person who comes along and loves it so much they're prepared to pay over the odds. And as well-presented as it is, it's a new build and there are thousands like it.
  • kazzamunga wrote: »
    I know, but three of those are like 5k cheaper, and are smaller flats? We're not expecting an asking price offer, we just don't understand why 5k would mean that people don't even arrange a viewing and then make an offer that they consider appropriate.

When we spoke to four different estate agents in the summer, 3 out of the 4 said go in at 315-320. We did that and got no interest, so came down to 305. Obviously the further down you go, the more stupid offers you get. - so we're hesitant.

Sometimes it can be as simple as reducing the price by £5k to generate interest.
    Theses no crystal ball to tell you what to do,you just have to go with what you believe,but if you think the sticking point could be the £5k then reduce it and see what happens.

Sometimes it is better to let things go rather than hold out for a higher price especially if its costing money in service charges etc.

Is it occupied at the moment,either by yourselves or tenants?
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Rental was also something my mum wouldn't consider, ha. I didn't mention that I'm now dividing anything we make between me and my two siblings, so, yeah - it's a 4-way discussion.
  • Sometimes it can be as simple as reducing the price by £5k to generate interest.
    Theses no crystal ball to tell you what to do,you just have to go with what you believe,but if you think the sticking point could be the £5k then reduce it and see what happens.

Sometimes it is better to let things go rather than hold out for a higher price especially if its costing money in service charges etc.

Is it occupied at the moment,either by yourselves or tenants?
    It's occupied by my brother who is covering the bills. Yeah the annoying thing is that there is no crystal ball and also i don't feel like I can trust the estate agents whatsoever to tell me the truth about what is actually happening. If I ask if it's busy in general, of course they say yes, to generate more urgency, etc.
  • The most recent sale on the estate appears to be that of a similar flat (573 sqft 1 bed) and sold for 296k in January 2019 so maybe consider reducing it to below the 300k mark?

1c, Cooper House, 21 Coleridge Drive, Ruislip HA4 8GR

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/1c/cooper-house/21-coleridge-drive/ruislip/ha4-8gr/46833829
  • The most recent sale on the estate appears to be that of a similar flat (573 sqft 1 bed) and sold for 296k in January 2019 so maybe consider reducing it to below the 300k mark?

1c, Cooper House, 21 Coleridge Drive, Ruislip HA4 8GR
    Thanks, considering it! That poor little flat had a disaster. It's the one next door - I remember the guy moving in at the same time as me. He sold at the height of the market, put it on at £350 and got 335. The next guy bought it to rent out, it seemed to be empty for ages,and then seemingly he sold it for 296.
  • Bought it for 245k new-build and then sold for 335k in less than 2 years! That's one lucky b@st@rd! :)
    kazzamunga wrote: »
    He sold at the height of the market, put it on at £350 and got 335.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure