CeX/WeBuy staff answers phone with the words 'What's the problem'

While discussing an issue with customer service staff at their Uxbridge Store, I asked to speak to the manager.

The manager came to the phone and the greeted me with the words 'What's the problem'!

Upon me pointing out that I was slightly shocked by his telephone etiquettes, he insisted to justify that it is absolutely acceptable way of taking a call by the words 'What's the problem'.

At this point, I just told him that I will speak to their central support team about my issue rather than tolerate this aggressive and offensive attitude.

My issue was finally resolved by the team at head office.

However, I just feel that this kind of culture is allowed to breed with lack of consequences and I am sure this staff member will carry on speaking to customers in this manner.

Comments

• While discussing an issue with customer service staff at their Uxbridge Store, I asked to speak to the manager.

The manager came to the phone and the greeted me with the words 'What's the problem'!

Upon me pointing out that I was slightly shocked by his telephone etiquettes, he insisted to justify that it is absolutely acceptable way of taking a call by the words 'What's the problem'.

At this point, I just told him that I will speak to their central support team about my issue rather than tolerate this aggressive and offensive attitude.

My issue was finally resolved by the team at head office.

However, I just feel that this kind of culture is allowed to breed with lack of consequences and I am sure this staff member will carry on speaking to customers in this manner.

And you are so right, they just don't train servants staff like they used to.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Its a vent not a consumer right .

I am actually more shocked by the OPs calling ( what's the problem ) aggressive and offensive .
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    "What's the problem?" seems a perfectly reasonable start to a conversation with a customer whom they are aware has some sort of problem requiring resolution. I think you're taking it the wrong way.
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It would, in my opinion, be more annoying for the manager to say "How may I help you?" or something similar.

Starting with "What's your problem" at least acknowledges that she or he knows there is a problem, even it's a bit blunt. "How can I help with your problem?" might be a better approach, but "What's your problem?" is neither aggressive nor offensive.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    And this is one of the reasons I don't work in retail. Customers you have to be polite to when you're actually thinking "oh !!!!!! get a grip."
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,986 Forumite
    What's the problem?
  • I’m ever so glad my days in retail are over... :)

Was it a serious issue, or were you having a ‘the customer is always right’ whinge?
  • The tone and Inflection are the important details that are missing.

But yes, what is your problem ?
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Expecting to be treated with impeccable etiquette at CeX? Really?

And since you were at the customer service desk and asked for it be elevated to a manager, they were possibly right to assume you had a problem that needed to be dealt with.

I think you were in the wrong here, not them, sorry.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,415 Forumite
    It would all depend on how they said "What's the problem'"
    Life in the slow lane
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts