Santa’s challenge 2020 ...

Options

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and a beautiful paper gift courtesey of katiehound.

The little boxes are so easy to make. You could make 24 for advent calendar to hold a Quality Street choc- or whatever- as long as you use A4/A5/A6 etc proportions. Probably even use some of the old Christmas cards?
    Hope you found the elephant??

Today delivered 8 doggy duvets to a friend to take to dog training classes. The groomers have 7 or 8 and the village PO has ?12? That's it for a while! Excess duvets are going into the loft when I get the case out.

Today got £38.50 from the sales at dog club. I've lost track of amount raised , maybe just £100 short?

Next on list is to make a tough-ish cover for the ukulele as I need to carry that as hand luggage.

Last week got some mens fluffy socks from Aldi- 40 p per pair.
    Have you seen the photos from Link to Hope? - there are about 240 showing children and oldies with their boxes and a few of the neighbourhood.
    I've looked at the 'Bags of Education' - they are hoping for 1000 this year. Don't think I can manage that and the boxes- except the bags are for now so the children get them for start of school year in Sept.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I saw the Bags of Education too. I think I might do Bags next year instead of Boxes. Although I enjoy doing the Boxes, this will be my third year of doing them and I think it will be fun to have a fresh challenge. I used to love shopping for stationery for school...
  • Katiehound
    Options
    In a way I am torn because we know that education breaks the circle of poverty but yet the 'oldies' really are in desperate need.... perhaps half boxes and half bags for 2021....
    Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    In a way I am torn because we know that education breaks the circle of poverty but yet the 'oldies' really are in desperate need.... perhaps half boxes and half bags for 2021....

I’m thinking of alternating boxes and bags, as I don’t think I can focus on too many things at once.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    Welcome Killielila u will find us very much talking about the link to hope shoeboxes that we do at the minute.

I went to have a look at the diary they had put up and photos on the link to hope website after u had mentioned they were up. I am can so i am so glad that i do the shoeboxes, the poverty, the photos are heartbreaking. Im glad we are doing our bit.

I need to have a closer look at the Bags of Education. I can imagine this is something that would be popular with secondary schools doing but i picked up some really nice bits post September to break up into small presents so it is definately something i would have a look at doing. I already have a huge set i picked up from Tesc@ the end of Sept reduced to 1.50 as they wanted to shift stock very quick containing an assortment of stuff including an A4 file. I would have to have a look but i do enjoy doing the shoeboxes aswell.

I managed with a sale order item to add some of the magic gloves in down to 50p each into the order. I had to do a click and collect for the next time but i was after another item and would need to go anyway so not an issue. DD is going to the poundstore before she comes home to pick up playing cards, the wallet tools if she can get. I'm itching to sort out the things i have now as i havent had chance to buy my storageboxes so may do that today.
    Also gives me a chance to have a nosy on last minute Christmas reductions although i really need to focus on birthdays as i am already late with sending my first birthday present out due to being away.
    Not the best start when i have had the birthday present for ages, i just hate the packaging up of items and i havent even wrapped the present yet :(
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2020 at 3:40PM
    Options
    Decided to buy the 2 more storage boxes to sort out things just stashed in the spare bedroom and after talking about the link to hope boxes i really wanted to have a sort out. Filled one box with more charity auction things which will save the organiser having to store it all.

Had quite a shock when i was filling the second box with my link to hope things as i found 8 pairs of gloves! Havent a clue where they all came from but very happy and in general. My random throwing of items into bags has very much paid off as i have more things than i thought:)

Had a look at the bags of education. Thinking i might register to do 2. Definately have some items already on the list and as long as i get them done before Easter which is a quieter period for me then i think it is doable.

Katiehound i found the elephant! Beautiful thank u now hanging in the livng room

DD presents sorted for birthday next month. She wants to do afternoon tea but im also going to take her for a meal at her favourite place. Trying to make it as special as i can.

Been invited to a birthday that is normally kept quiet but as it is a landmark birthday there is a surprise get together. Its difficult to know what to get someone who has everything but managed it. Hope it arrives in time!

Also picked up a reduced birthday card in Red Cross shop this morning. Its very apt for Duncle.
    I still need to check birthday cards as i know this is something i have a big shortage on.
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Spent time hunting for knitting patterns- seems I never return things to their rightful home! I have found a pattern on-line so hope that will do.I am planning to knit mitts on the cruise

Whilst hunting for one thing found another! Bonus , new bras- I couldn't understand how I was down to the last one of my favourite design. Means one 'oldie' can go the bra bank!

Also found some essential receipts which I thought had been binned long ago.

So cheesed off with amount of junk that I sat down to read a new book I had found! Not a good use of time really.........;)..... but I enjoyed it
    Many thanks

• killielila
    Options
    great idea we did a reverse advent appeal in my community group this past year all the groups that use the community centre in Nov and early Dev donated bits and bobs and on Xmas eve we went Elfing to families in the community that had been nominated or that we knew might be struggling. we did so well we gave boxes to the local churches and homeless shelter and women's aid hostel nothing puts your own woes in perspective more than a grown man so pleased with a hat scarf and some tins that he was almost in tears i swear i almost took him my xmas turkey but i was cooking for my dad and was our 1st year after we lost mum but if it been earlier / shops still open i might have
    finances disaster but baby-stepping back to security:

2024 let's do this !!
  • Katiehound
    Options
    Still hunting for the elusive pattern (s)..... need to give up and then they will probably / possibly appear.

My friend and I have a £5 birthday challenge but I admit I cheated (a little) Anyhow she had her goodie box earlier this week and was well pleased. She's not sure about the PerUna chanel type jacket/cardi- but it fits (£1). The cotton blouse is perfect (£1) and the micro fibre coat in purple has been out on every expedition! (also £1) I think you could say that was a triumph of wise spending.

I'm revising my shoebox thoughts: I've done 4 family and 4 OAP for a few years. I'm now thinking 2 family & 6 OAP and whatever extra I have got in the way of toys (still loads of wooden taxis when Wilco sold them off @25pence!) can be given to the nearest co-ordinator.
    Decisions
    Many thanks

• Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2020 at 10:13AM
    Options
    It sounds like ur community group did a really special thing with the reverse advent appeal killielila and it does definately put ur own things into perspective

I bet when u least expect it the elusive pattern will turn up katiehound, its always the way!

Well it seems fate has decided that i will be doing 2 bags of education. I have been buying more storage boxes for a declutter,sort out and general tidy up. It has been very satisfying especially as my spare room had turned into abit of a dumping ground. Aswell as finding the extra gloves i also found lots of stationary items. Apart from the exercise books and drinks bottles i easily have everything so have decided to do it. Plus tesco had big rulers reduced to 25p so i picked up some with a view to doing some bags next year but fate definately had other ideas.

First main birthday present of the year still needs to be sent off. Still trying to get the address and still needs to be wrapped!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport