ct credit claim ended

Good morning,

single claim has ended last year September after moved in with partner.
no new claim has been made as not entitled to anything because of household income.
Letter with small overpayment has been received but it’s not notice to pay.
Have asked Hmrc what’s happen then and if something should be done in meantime, adviser said you just have to wait end of financial year and provide actual income of 2019/2020.
that’s all correct? thought they does “in a year” finalisation but seems I’m wrong.
Income for that year will be lower than been provided as estimated.So that’s could be no overpayment at all?
is there anything else need to be provided or just actual income of the year?
thank you

Comments

• @calcotti?:)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I hadn't responded because Tax Credits not by strong point. However as Tax Credits are based on annual income that sounds correct. Once total year income is known I think it will be apportioned for the period of entitlement to do the finalisation. Could turn out that there isn't an overpayment.

There are other posters who are more knowledgeable on Tax Credits than me - perhaps they'll spot this now and be able to confirm.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • thank you very much.just wanted to know how does work and when I can finalise everything to have whole thing completed:)
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Singlemumm wrote: »
    Good morning,

single claim has ended last year September after moved in with partner.
    no new claim has been made as not entitled to anything because of household income.
    Letter with small overpayment has been received but it’s not notice to pay.
    Have asked Hmrc what’s happen then and if something should be done in meantime, adviser said you just have to wait end of financial year and provide actual income of 2019/2020.
    that’s all correct? thought they does “in a year” finalisation but seems I’m wrong.
    Income for that year will be lower than been provided as estimated.So that’s could be no overpayment at all?
    is there anything else need to be provided or just actual income of the year?
    thank you

In year finalisation only applies if you claim UC in the same tax year as your tax credits end. Otherwise, the usual end of year finalisation will take place.

The reason you haven't received a notice to pay is that they can't issue one until there is a proper overpayment - which can't exist until they finalise the award. If your income is lower, it might mean there is no actual overpayment. You will receive your pack after April, you will need to complete it and will then receive afinal award notice for the April to September period.

Just remember that income from September to April still can affect that award because they spread annual income evenly over the award.

IQ
  • thank you so much.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thnaks icequeen - hoped you would spot this!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure