Money Moral Dilemma: Should I have refused to pay again for my shopping?

1235»

Comments

• Cefca
    Cefca Posts: 68
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A notification on an app is not proof you've paid. If the till says you haven't paid, then 9.9 times out of 10 you haven't paid.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,578
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    Cefca wrote: »
    A notification on an app is not proof you've paid.
    If the till says you haven't paid, then 9.9 times out of 10 you haven't paid.

Interesting.
    Do you have anything that backs that up?
  • Yes but children are still in the learning stage but also I thought you had to be 16+ to have a card of any type.
  • Don_Two
    Don_Two Posts: 28 Forumite
    Yes but children are still in the learning stage but also I thought you had to be 16+ to have a card of any type.
    No, some banks allow children as young as eleven to have an account and a debit card.
  • Cefca wrote: »
    A notification on an app is not proof you've paid. If the till says you haven't paid, then 9.9 times out of 10 you haven't paid.

I think you have highlighted the real point of the original question.

Electronic payments are becoming more and more attractive to banks and retailers alike and, simultaneously, paper transactions and receipts are becoming less and less attractive.

Online shopping never offers a paper receipt - the electronic record and the email acknowledgement is all you get. If retailers are serious about persuading their customers to pay electronically, then they need to begin to phase out conventional tills and paper receipts - they need to make it seriously more convenient to pay electronically. They also need to accept that an electronic record of a completed transaction is as good a proof of payment as a till-printed receipt.

For me, the potential disadvantage of not getting a printed (and itemised) receipt is that I might be unable to check the individual prices which I have been charged. The electronic record of the transaction would have to include an itemised breakdown of the bill as well as a simple total of the amount paid.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You should have insisted upon speaking to someone in authority, as there's evidently some processing fault in the self-service machine. The best thing you can do is kick up a fuss at the supermarket's HQ, providing it with evidence from your smartphone apps. Personally, I don't trust these gismos as a lot of them don't work.

Next time, you might want to consider paying for your lunch using your credit card or cash. Both will give you proof of payment with no hassle.
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    About six years ago, it happened at a Sainsburys manned till. The payment declined and tried again and it accepted. I paid by credit card as had a money off coupon and it was a fuel promo at the time. The date of the transaction happened two days after my current bill was produced. So didn't get to know about the double payment until 5 weeks after the shop. As didn't buy clothing, electrical products and any other product which I keep the receipt for, I binned it.

Sainsburys have a system where they can reproduce receipts for examples such as the above. They ask you to come back later with proof of the double payment and they will refund you.

This till was charging double for some customers during that day. Some knew the following day. They couldn't find a pattern - type of card, certain banks etc
  • I would not be surprised if they try to use this virus to force us all into a cashless society.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback