PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas 2018 - Mega index and Christmas chat!!!!

freyasmum
freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
edited 20 November 2018 at 12:01PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi all :j

Anyone else excited, or is it just me? :D:D:D

Maybe I've missed it, but I could't find a thread for Christmas 2018... so here it is. Board Guides, if I have missed it, please merge this with that :)

Link to Christmas Prep 2017

Not being one to fix something if it ain't broke, I'll let Zppychick kick us off for 2018.
zippychick wrote: »
Might be a little early for some... I used to post this up early just to wind Pink up. She would ring me and "scold" me - Zippy, why are you setting up a Christmas thread in July :rotfl:
image.php?u=27939&dateline=1127256089&type=thumb:A

BUT!!!!!! I think it's a nice positive thing to have on the board. So if the Christmas early preppers want to post about Christmas, then they have a place to post.:j
If this is too early for you (which it will be for most), then that's not a problem... just
ignore until the time comes and you're ready for some festive planning. !!!:rotfl:

I do need to maybe spend some time checking links etc but if anyone finds a broken link, or something we need to add, then just PM me.:A
HStree.gif

Any other links to go in, let me know!

HO HO HO HO HO!!!!!!HSchristmaswindow.gifHSxmasmerry.gif

So this will be the one running Old Style Christmas 2017 thread

I'll make this a kind of Christmas mega index if that makes sense!
PREVIOUS YEARS - worth a read if you have time ;) FULL OF IDEAS!!!

Christmas 2016 mega thread

Christmas 2015 mega thread

Christmas 2014 mega thread

Christmas 2013 mega thread

Christmas 2012 mega thread

Christmas 2011 mega thread

Christmas 2010 mega thread

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN THINK OF MORE FOR ME TO ADD! BOOKMARK THIS THREAD SO YOU HAVE ALL THE HANDY LINKS IN ONE PLACE!
:j:D

Some linkies:D:A
There is an old "chatty" thread in the special occasions board HERE

Our very own Homemade Christmas thread and I've been told this thread - Santa's Challenge 2015 Chat etc, really long title - is worth a visit.

2015 Christmas chat thread

Don't forget to visit the Christmas board

Found this Christmas chat thread for 2017 in another board

They also have thrifty Gifty Santas challenge 2014 &

Christmas 2014 Savings and Handmade gifts

And christmas hampers 2013
Some older threads from Special occasions board
HSsnowmen.gif

Homemade christmas decorations

Making cards ideas part 5

Sock monkeys

Magic reindeer food

Snowman soup

Christmas eve hamper 2011

Christmas crafting ideas

Santas challenge

The complete Christmas dinner compendium
:jxmas-smiley-010.gif

Cleaning the oven

Light starter for christmas day lunch

Christmas dinner - preparing in advance

Christmas dinner- help it's my first!

Cheap Christmas dinner

What do you do for Christmas dinner?

Diabetic Christmas dinner

Vegetarian Christmas alternative?

Vegetarian Christmas thread 2015

How to cook a three bird roast

Other useful specific food links :jHScandycane.gif

Potatoes

Frozen home made roast potatoes - and Pinks specific post

Crispy roast potatoes

The perfect mashed potato

What is the point in mashed potato? (use your leftover to make potato farls for boxing day brunch ! )

Freezing mashed potato

Sweet potatoes

Cooking and prepping various veg charsanta.gif

Parsnips

Oodles of carrots

Cauliflower- recipe please?

Cauliflower cheese

Leeks

Mushy peas

Spruce up your sprouts

Freezing sprouts

Red cabbage recipe wanted

Cabbage

Gravies/sauces HSdrift.gif

Decent gravy please

Making gravy when you haven't had a roast

Bread sauce

Apple sauce

Making own cranberry sauce

What to do with leftover cranberry sauce

HM Ham glaze

Homemade stuffing

Leftover stuffing

Meat Preparation/making stock/using up leftover meatHS_santa_dancing.gif

The best christmas turkey

Turkey crown

Leftover turkey

Turkey soup?

Defrosting turkey

Turkey mince

Turkey leg recipes

Freezing cooked turkey

:xmassmile

How to roast a whole chicken

Whole chicken in the slow cooker

Leftover chicken recipes please

How do i make my own chicken stock?

Chicken stock - how to make it in a slow cooker?

Chicken stock to soup

Chicken soup - how do i make it?

Help with cooking a goose please

Reuse goose fat?

Duck for christmas dinner help

Cooking a whole duck

What to do with duck stock?

Leftover duck

Duck breasts

Duck eggs

What to do with a gammon joint?

Cooking a gammon joint in the slow cooker

Gammon and coke

Exciting things with gammon?

gammon stock?

Leftover gammon

Salty gammon joint?

gravy/sauce to go with gammon?

Difference between gammon and ham?

Partridge

Pheasant recipes/suggestions

Best way to cook a joint of beef

Beef Silverside

Beef silverside in slow cooker

Joints of beef in the slow cooker

Shin beef

Beef stew

Beef wellington

Corned beef hash

Making carvery beef at home

Leftover beef

Pigs in blankets

Christmas dinner, the leftovers thread

Christmas Leftovers 2015

Desert/sweet related snow_bear.gif

Dairy free goodies for Christmas

Christmas baking 2011

when is the right time to make a christmas cake

Quick query on making my own christmas cake

Iced marzipan - my first cake

Recipe for christmas cake

HM alcohol free christmas pud

Christmas pudding recipes?

Christmas pudding in slow cooker - is it possible?

Shortbread recipe

How do you use brandy butter?

Trifle

HM custard

What can i do with custard

Baileys cheesecake Mince pies and mincemeat

Mince Pies

Inspire me- 1/3 smll jar mincemeat

Question about Christmas Mincemeat - Delia recipe

Best Mincemeat Ever?

The best mince pie pastry ever?
Cream

how to use up single cream

Double cream

Clotted cream surplus

Can i freeze cream?

Making my own butter

Cream refuses to whip

Over whipped double cream

Make your own ice cream

HSxmashug2.gif
General Food:j

Vodka jelly

Christmas eve - dinner/tea

What do you have on your christmas day menu?

Christmas breakfast - ideas please

Best Christmas recipes hunt

Christmas buffet ideas

Can i freeze cheese?

Cheese straws

What to do with leftover bits of cheese

Cheese rind

HM cheese scones

General
:j

Best Old Style moneysaving christmas hints and tips

How long after christmas day will you be food shopping?

Is anyone taking their OS hat off on Christmas day?

Christmas eve - what are you cooking today?

Christmas dinner -what did you learn?

We don't like turkey

New year old style resolutions

traditional new year meals

How long does wine keep when opened?

Wine to cook with

red wine stain help

Have yourself a crafty christmas

Zip
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,396 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We also have that saying in S Wales ! Hope you don't mind me joining in too.

This week I bought some mince pies to put away for Christmas, but unfortunately my freezer is full :whistle:. They probably won't make it to the end of the week now :D.
    I also got a few small bits for my DGC , from Ti*er, I have never been in there before but I shall go again as they had lots of small inexpensive stuff , good for stocking fillers. I hope to buy all the DGC stuff by Dec 1st ( fingers crossed ) as I hate shopping when there are a lot of people around. Thank goodness for online shopping :T
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • yay!! love Christmas, but have no money so its going to be a challenging one this year!!
    luckily I don't have many to get pressies for, only a few family and my 3 older teenagers who don't ask for anything.
    looking forward to hearing all about everyones plans!!
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've ordered cards/wrapping bits as I'm low/out of those and following SOs in the SM. Stash so far includes chocolates, salmon sides and choc oranges. I'm finding the best offers are sneaking in earlier and earlier. I have a houseful from Christmas Eve until the 1st of January so I need to be well prepared. We don't spend masses on presents but like to eat and drink (very ;)) well during te festive period starting with steaks and Bloody Marys at 6pm on Christmas Eve. I've been MSE though and gathered spare crackers over the last couple of years so don't need those:). I do have a budget which I save every month for and stick to. so making the most of early offers on things we like works well for me. Nothing gets wasted any any LOs make the dark months of Jan & Feb much more tolerable:D.
  • :T Hurrah! I've been looking for this thread (I always thought it was on OS, but always searched for it, so who knows?!)

Reading it with a hot drop is one of my Christmas prep treats!

Has anyone started their Christmas shopping yet? Got the first of mine on Tuesday - I like it done before December so I can relax.:beer:
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    firebubble wrote: »
    :T Hurrah! I've been looking for this thread (I always thought it was on OS, but always searched for it, so who knows?!)

Reading it with a hot drop is one of my Christmas prep treats!

Has anyone started their Christmas shopping yet? Got the first of mine on Tuesday - I like it done before December so I can relax.:beer:

Extra discount at work and 3 for 2 on gifts, so yeah I have got bits for extended family, church kids and a few stocking fillers. I like a bargin:rotfl:
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • Finished my Christmas shopping, and almost finished wrapping it all:j-i have to I hate wrapping, I hate the crowds, the cold, rushing in December, i like to spread the cost throughout the year plus I have a few to send the beginning of December.

Food wise is a different story. I bought some sweets on the 4 for£5 offer:whistle: .........they might have been eaten.

So on the food front im not doing so well.......so far I have made use of special offers on a gammon joint now in the freezer and a box of biscuits:D
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Christmas? Haha, the last few days have been near-tropical!! Which has been handy for me in resisting the Lidl Christmas goodies strategically placed by the store entrance.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We've been consciously down-scaling our Christmasses for a while now, and are enjoying them all the more. We'll still eat & drink well, but not to excess. We're not doing stockings any more, as the "kids" are all twenty-somethings; we've nicked the Icelandic "book & chocolate" idea instead. Some presents have already been bought, and a few goodies stashed away, and the girls & I have decided that on the decor front, we're going for a mostly natural & handmade Christmas. Which doesn't mean buying stuff to make things; we already have most of the "makings" and will just get creative if we don't. And if I can't find a real tree inside my miserly budget, or get to the heathland nature reserve to cut one on the right day, we'll just use the old plastic one in the loft again.

A few years back I started saving a certain amount each month in a special account, to cover the anticipated cost of Christmas upfront rather than scramble to pay everything off afterwards. That's worked a treat, and in January I'm going to double the amount put aside to cover the birthdays, too; we don't go overboard on presents, etc., but we do like to go out for a meal to celebrate, and meals out for 7 adults plus assorted partners add up to a fair expense; we have 3 birthdays in July alone, then another mid-August.

So, the festive dried fruit has already arrived; I'll be making mincemeat for the pies in the next few days, and then it's on to cake & puddings. Luckily the girls are avid bakers; I foresee a glut of gingerbread shortly! I will buy in a few bits n'bobs; it wouldn't be Christmas without some German iced gingerbread biscuits, or Twiglets, but most of it we will make ourselves. When they were all small, I got overloaded & frantic trying to do it all myself, but now they take a fair share of the load, and if it doesn't get made or done, it just doesn't get done, and we'll all laugh about it.
    Angie - GC April 24 £356.14/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Operation Christmas Child Boxes are filled and ready to be sent to the drop-off centre.

Christmas Cards are more than half-way finished (I do home-made cross-stitch one for friends/family)

A number of smaller presents have been bought.

Christmas Menu has been discussed and chosen....it is just Mum and myself...this year we are having venison (we had it last year and want it again!) with red cabbage and apple mousse. (along with the 'usual' roast veggies)...no starter....dessert is mince pies eaten later in the afternoon.

This weekend will see the freezer emptied, ready for restocking for the winter....and I have started filling up the 'winter shelf'...one shelf in my small kitchen, on which I keep 'extra 'tins and packets - buy an extra one or two each week, and then in December I only need a minimum spend as I have that shelf of supplies.

Most of our food shopping is done at M&S (partly because of the quality...mainly because there is nowhere else for us to go!!!)...hoping for a relative to come visit and take us to Lidls at some point to stock up on 'Favorina' goodies - Mum bakes her own Stollen but we still buy a few from Lidls!
  • DKRobert
    DKRobert Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post
    Properly prepared this year.

Last year I bought a load of snacks & sweets in advance of which 50% didn't get touched due to changing diets in my family. So this year I've joined forces with my Mum to put £150 onto a reloadable gift card (6% of every time it was loaded up) so we'll do the shop closer to the day this time & get stuff we'll actually eat.

Present wise, don't do gifting but gotta sort out my Nephew & Niece plus two lots of Birthdays. Know what I'm getting apart from one gift, but I'm waiting for a sensible time to buy (Black Friday for example)

Aside from that, bought Xmas cards in the post-Xmas sales last year so all I really need is a small amount of wrapping paper & I'm sorted. I can really focus on enjoying the season this year now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure