NT tax code

Options
I was bankrupt from July 2018-July 2019 and during that time had an NT tax code. I didnt have an IPA and I was never requested to pay my tax to anyone else, therefore have a surplus. I presumed by the end of the bankruptcy as I have been discharged then they wont ask me for it now.
I work as an employee on PAYE and also Self Employed so I had to do a tax return this month. I have input everything I've earned and where I haven't paid enough tax (where I was on an NT tax code for most of the year), its telling me I owe all this tax. I spoke to the OR office who say that any tax should have been paid to the OR by HMRC or me but nobody had requested it so I didnt. Then he went on to say he cant help me with my tax return query, but didn't say anything about me paying it now. HMRC say I need to contact OR to deal with it but they both seem to be passing me back and forth.
My question is, if they didnt request the surplus tax in bankruptcy year, can they still do it? As I believe it would be in the form of an IPA which I understand can only be implemented in the bankruptcy year. And should HMRC just write it off my tax calculation on my tax return?

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 January 2020 at 7:52PM
    Options
    It seems an unusual situation. You are right that an IPA cannot be set up after you are discharged, but the NT IPA was set up before you were discharged, the problem is that there appears to be an admin error and the OR's agent hasnt collected. Its usually a company called Carke Willmott.
    If HMRC say you owe them tax, I'd be inclided to pay it, then it's the OR and HMRC's problem. The OR and HMRC seem to be aware you owe the money oneway or another - they just can't decide who should do the admin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure