Suggest a small mobile please

My husband has at last decided to replace the original Moto G which he has cherished for at least the last six years. He wants one just as hardy and small.

So a screen about 4.5 to 5" and cheap.

The current crop of Moto seem to be 6" and larger.
Xiaomi mi6 would be an option except they aren't available except second hand now and probably have battery issues.

Budget £150-250

Comments

• If he is not wedded to Android an iphone SE is still one of the best small phones out there.

Currently runs the latest iOS (probaby not for much longer though) and a pristine one can be had for under £150
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It could be worth searching for a pristine used phone as this would widen your scope for finding one with a smaller screen.

You could take a look at CEX online as they give you a 24 month warranty and you can return anything purchased online to your local store for a refund within 14 days if you aren't happy.
  • Thanks. I have an iPhone se so he has seen it in action. I'll suggest it along with getting an old phone as the best way of getting the small display.

I saw a few small Sony phones (xz1) but the amount of apps on them would really annoy him.

I think that there is a market for people who want to use a phone for calls and occasionally voice operated Sat nav.

Why should they have to have unsupported phones?
  • Thanks. I have an iPhone se so he has seen it in action. I'll suggest it along with getting an old phone as the best way of getting the small display.

I saw a few small Sony phones (xz1) but the amount of apps on them would really annoy him.

I think that there is a market for people who want to use a phone for calls and occasionally voice operated Sat nav.

You can delete all the apps you don’t want from the home screen on Android phones so you won’t know they are there.
    On iPhone you can put any unwanted apps you can’t delete in a folder so you can’t see them so it keeps your home screen tidy.
    As you know the iPhone se is a great little phone but 4 inch screen maybe to small for satnav? Still usable if your eyesight is ok.
    iPhone 7 is a good phone for the money and I think is a nice size.
    On Android Samsung S8 is very slim but has 5.8 inch screen.
    CEX is great for used phones with the 2 year warranty and actual high street stores.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 January 2020 at 2:34PM
    May I suggest that a tiny screen is not suited to many of the recent Apps.

Sat Nav being one. Most phones are 5.5 and up for a reason.(as well as having a bigger battery)

This is excellent value at the moment and is average screen size nowadays

Since you had a old Moto G

NEW moto G7 £100 (5.7 screen)

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8835112

• Ruprecht
    Ruprecht Posts: 64 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    It's difficult finding an up-to-date smaller-screen phone but the Nokia 3.1 might suit at 5.2". If you can find one, though there's a few new still on eBay at a good price (£75-ish). The model is a little old but it will get the latest Android 10 update soon too.

I think that maybe you stand more chance than me, whose mother requires a 3G flip-phone. As an 80yr old technophobe she has no choice other than to buy another of the poor-quality & now broken one she already has.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    untechnofobe her .
    Being 80 does not mean incapable .
  • Ruprecht
    Ruprecht Posts: 64 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    untechnofobe her .
    Being 80 does not mean incapable .
    Hah good and try again and again over years but no. In her case technophobe mean it, she not even use bank card outside bank.

I used my SE for a long time for just that with no problems whatsoever.

Sat Nav in the car now does the job mostly but still like to have the option of using the phone. Home page only has four things on it as I don't like a cluttered screen.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• I saw the g7 too. Looks good if he accepts the size.

I think either iPhone se or 8 would suit him better, but then he has to adapt to a new os so that will be a last resort.

Despite the advantage of being able to FaceTime me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure