Do cheap 'last minute' holidays still exist?

Options
We have all heard about the bargains that can be had if one manages to get a truly last minute holiday but is this a thing of the past? For the past 5-6 years we have always planned our holidays well in advance, bought flights and hotels separately to maximise value and freedom but this year we are on a strict budget due to our wedding being in August and are exploring the idea of a week somewhere in July. Budget may not allow but if we can get a truly last minute deal that is affordable, it is something we will go for. However, I wonder if this is still a 'thing' these days (to be honest I've never had a 'I can go tomorrow so what is available?' holiday).

It would have to be in the period 20th-28th July so appreciate that we will be stung with the school holiday premium(oh works in a school so we are used to this!) and we are happy for it to be something nice and relaxed on a Greek Island, Italy, Spain etc.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • adonis10
    adonis10 Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bump.......
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    We tend to book holidays a month or two in advance (which some would class as "last minute") and have had some good package deals in the school holidays over the last few years, region of £250pp for week's B&B or £400 for AI to well rated places.

If you're looking for dirt cheap go tomorrow type deals these don't seem to be as common as they were.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In general, no. Here's a discussion on it from last week.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6015457
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They are on sale now, so what’s the best you can find for your dates?
    What’s the best diy holiday you can find as a comparison?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm sure DIY can be done cheaply at the last minute as long as you are flexible on where you go. Go just to SkyScannner and choose "Everywhere" as your destination. if you want to go somewhere specific then you are unlikely to get any deals

I'm not usually a fan of All Inclusive/Package holidays but they can be very cheap for last minute bookings when they have inventory to shift.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 June 2019 at 10:11AM
    Options
    I think it's about knowing when the good deals are likely to happen.
    Which are almost always off-season and out of school holidays.
    We've had some cracking Caribbean deals for the "shoulder " period around late Sept-Oct when the summer season ends and the Christmas season starts.
    Ten days AI in Barbados including flights and about $150 in meal vouchers for island restaurants all for around £900pp was one memorable trip.
    Likewise,when we had our place in Florida we scored some fabulous charter flight deals into the less well-known Orlando Sanford for as low as £175 return in Feb/March.
    It's definitely worth signing up to bargain consolidators like Holiday Pirates and Secret Flying where we got these deals.
    And travel light to avoid baggage charges.It's more than 25 years since we last put anything in a plane hold.
    Funnily enough yesterday I booked a week on Rhodes leaving this Friday with Jet2.
    They were offering £100pp off and we got the last two seats.
    Just over a grand for two people.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why don't you run some dummy bookings on TUI? I keep an eye on these and there seems to be some good bargains, have seen a week recently for £160. Not had the chance to take advantage of these yet and due to health issues with my Husband we are likely to be hammered on the travel insurance.
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I think it's about knowing when the good deals are likely to happen.
    Which are almost always off-season and out of school holidays.
    We've had some cracking Caribbean deals for the "shoulder " period around late Sept-Oct when the summer season ends and the Christmas season starts.
    Ten days AI in Barbados including flights and about $150 in meal vouchers for island restaurants all for around £900pp was one memorable trip.
    Likewise,when we had our place in Florida we scored some fabulous charter flight deals into the less well-known Orlando Sanford for as low as £175 return in Feb/March.
    It's definitely worth signing up to bargain consolidators like Holiday Pirates and Secret Flying where we got these deals.
    And travel light to avoid baggage charges.It's more than 25 years since we last put anything in a plane hold.
    Funnily enough yesterday I booked a week on Rhodes leaving this Friday with Jet2.
    They were offering £100pp off and we got the last two seats.
    Just over a grand for two people.
    Those prices aren't particularly cheap! We've had better deals in the school holidays, as above.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Those prices aren't particularly cheap! We've had better deals in the school holidays, as above.

You got to Florida for less than £175 return during school holidays ?
    AND you got flights and 10 days at a good All-Inclusive in Barbados for less than £90 a day ?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport