Cheap airport lounge access

Comments

• wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Air Canada will always refuse you access to their lounge unless you pay for it.

We had a 12 hour wait in Montreal after an overnight redirection caused by their mechanical difficulties. We asked for lounge passes because of the delays they caused. Turned down flat. They don't even offer meal vouchers.
  • newuser86
    newuser86 Posts: 312 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would be amazed if any airline gave free vouchers for lounges. Most arent run by the airlines and the others are for business class or elite members so can't imagine they would want anyone in there.
    As said before get either an Amex gold, or even better the Amex platinum. The priority pass is excellent and have used mine at least 12 times in the last two months,
  • We are looking at booking the Manchester lounge, but have read different reports. Some say food and drink are included in the price, others say they are extra. Has anyone been there who would like to let us know what it's like? Thank you.
  • Asking for an upgrade or lounge access when checking in is good, but what about the fact that most people check in on line now, to make sure they get the seats they want?
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I fly Business class from Malta to and from either Gatwick or Heathrow and their lounges are included in the price and are excellent.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Annie8888 wrote: »
    We are looking at booking the Manchester lounge, but have read different reports. Some say food and drink are included in the price, others say they are extra. Has anyone been there who would like to let us know what it's like? Thank you.

Hi Annie, I've used both the Aspire lounge and Escape lounge at terminal 1. Both have free food and drink included but it's nothing very fancy. EG breakfast is sausage/bacon baps, porridge, other cereal, pastries. After 11am I think there's soup and sandwiches, cakes, biscuits etc.

I wouldn't book it based on the food choices personally, but I like a couple of glasses of wine or G&Ts and the cost of a lounge becomes worth it for a sandwich/bap and some fruit, biscuits etc. and 2/3 drinks. The last time I had a large wine in a bar at Manchester it was about £7.50. I prefer Aspire purely because there are large windows overlooking the gates. Escape I believe has better food choice but no windows.

I like to use them as at times the main airport can be rammed with people and difficult to get served and seated in the eateries. At other times it's no problem at all.

I would just say don't expect an executive type VIP experience because it's not, but it is away from the hustle and bustle (which a lot of people like anyway as part of the holiday experience).
  • undetterred
    undetterred Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post
    SandC wrote: »
    Hi Annie, I've used both the Aspire lounge and Escape lounge at terminal 1. Both have free food and drink included but it's nothing very fancy. EG breakfast is sausage/bacon baps, porridge, other cereal, pastries. After 11am I think there's soup and sandwiches, cakes, biscuits etc.

I wouldn't book it based on the food choices personally, but I like a couple of glasses of wine or G&Ts and the cost of a lounge becomes worth it for a sandwich/bap and some fruit, biscuits etc. and 2/3 drinks. The last time I had a large wine in a bar at Manchester it was about £7.50. I prefer Aspire purely because there are large windows overlooking the gates. Escape I believe has better food choice but no windows.

I like to use them as at times the main airport can be rammed with people and difficult to get served and seated in the eateries. At other times it's no problem at all.

I would just say don't expect an executive type VIP experience because it's not, but it is away from the hustle and bustle (which a lot of people like anyway as part of the holiday experience).

Is the lounge self serve on alcohol? or do you getting watched over with how much is consumed??
  • Is the lounge self serve on alcohol? or do you getting watched over with how much is consumed??

Bar service - thankfully.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is the lounge self serve on alcohol? or do you getting watched over with how much is consumed??

We used the Cheviot Lounge at Newcastle Airport many years ago,it was £16 each, do not know if it is still going as we have a Aspire Lounge now,anyway it was self service,the beer was bottled and in a cooler,had Bud,Amstell,Becks etc.The wine was help yourself from the bottle with the spirits the same,the food was poor but did not see anybody drunk.
    One tip - the pass for the lounge was only two hours and gave you entry time,but did not give two hours as you had to leave early to go to the gate.
    We went an hour earlier and explained that we would leave an hour earlier to go to the gate,no probs and managed two and half hours in the lounge,was it worth it? do not know,had a couple of drinks each and sat in comfort away from the crowds.Do not know what they charge these days
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It's only about £20 for the Manchester lounges, you can possibly get a discount of up to £3 with various websites (strangely I seem to find the best deals with Saga).

It's only been the past few years that the alcohol hasn't been self served, and I believe in some of them you can still help yourself to a beer or cider from the fridge. It's quite sensible to have it like any other bar and be served that way, although at times they do seem a little short staffed so there can be a bit of a wait.

Time restrictions still apply, think the limit is 3 hours.

I first decided to use them regularly after a flight I had from Gatwick and the airport was rammed, queues out of every restaurant and bar and just too many people around. It made it far more relaxing!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback