2014 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• Been lingering around mse for months now finally decided to join and give this challenge a go! Main main problem is when I have cash in my pocket it starts burning a hole...need to learn to say no! Got overdraft 1k to pay off here it goes x
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yaaay, the 2014 thread is open. Thanks Frugaldom for setting this up. I will keep posting over on the 2013 thread until the end of the month.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • Thanks Frugaldom for setting this brand new shiney thread up :) Looking forward to all the new chat :) be back in January to catch up with you all :)
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)
    Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
  • I'd like to sign up too, I'm going to get a big bill for some essential repair work to my flat soon and I want to boost my saving and pay off the loan for the kitchen (0% deal but would still like it gone!)
  • Hi everyone

I am going to join in for 2014, there is too much money wasted in my house on silly things that are bought either as spur of moment for instance a PC, desk and chair bought so that I could work from home before I had found out about the job in question or decided to go for it and as a result wasnt going to work for me and now have a £300 ornament sitting in my 3rd bedroom.
    We are also quite lazy on busy days when it comes to food. We can spend £100+ quite easily on takeaways when the cupboards and freezer are full.
    I am needing motivation to be more frugal and sensible and save money rather than spend it.
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Good morning to all you lovely wannabe and wannastay debt free pursuers. :) I've been working on my own budget and can confirm that it will be staying at the £4,000 mark, as per previous years. Rather than repeat what has been said on several other posts here is the link to a copy of how I assess the household budget.

For me, it is just as important to remain debt free after achieving it, so my budget remains unchanged, although the lifestyle does adapt accordingly. I mean, I fitted three short breaks into my 2013 challenge and managed to succeed in achieving at least three of my long-term ambitions:
    1. Climb to the summit of Ben Nevis
    2. Walk across the Carrick-a-Rede Bridge
    3. Visit the Giant's Causeway
    2014 is looking very exciting already, with a whole host of new moneysavers joining us both here and on the Frugaldom forums. If anyone is blogging about their journey, let me know so I can link to you from my frugalblog.co.uk
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • count me in!!! I have been tinkering at the edges of frugal living for some time now....however, having recently become unemployed through redundancy, I know that I can no longer play at it, I have to do it for real!!! :eek::eek::eek:
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Frugaldom wrote: »
    Good morning to all you lovely wannabe and wannastay debt free pursuers. :) I've been working on my own budget and can confirm that it will be staying at the £4,000 mark, as per previous years. Rather than repeat what has been said on several other posts here is the link to a copy of how I assess the household budget.

For me, it is just as important to remain debt free after achieving it, so my budget remains unchanged, although the lifestyle does adapt accordingly. I mean, I fitted three short breaks into my 2013 challenge and managed to succeed in achieving at least three of my long-term ambitions:
    2014 is looking very exciting already, with a whole host of new moneysavers joining us both here and on the Frugaldom forums. If anyone is blogging about their journey, let me know so I can link to you from my frugalblog.co.uk

Thankd for the link to your blog frugaldom, it is really useful to see. Well done on achieving those three long term ambitions they look really exciting.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • Frugaldom wrote: »

What are your ambitions for this year? I'm lucky to have visited the 2nd two of your list.
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Add me in DD goes to secondary school in Sept 14, so more money for trips and uniforms - as well as holiday of lifetime... x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport