Transporting a mobility scooter from seller to buyer?

My Mum would like to buy a mobility scooter from a friend who lives about 15 miles (20 minutes) away - from West Malling to Swanley in Kent. Does anyone know of a service that will do this sort of delivery? I thought about a "man with a van" service, but as the scooter weighs about 100kg it might not be that straightforward!

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The men-and-vans with larger vans will have a tail-lift so provided the scooter is charged up it can be driven onto the tailgate and lifted up into the van.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Gumtree very often have men with vans or facebook, check your local area on either of these. Anyvan website is also good, which i've used myself a couple of times. Tell them what you want and they'll give you a price.
    https://www.anyvan.com/av/man-and-van-about-quotes?maintitle=Low+Cost+Man+With+A+Van&whiteboxlabel=Man+With+A+Van&keyword=man%20with%20a%20van&matchtype=e&device=c&campaignid=1032452835&adgroupid=53594266027&adposition=1t1&devicemodel=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyZapofr54QIVwhXTCh2GgAvMEAAYASAAEgLPG_D_BwE
  • LeglessLiam
    LeglessLiam Posts: 13 Forumite
    itm2 wrote: »
    My Mum would like to buy a mobility scooter from a friend who lives about 15 miles (20 minutes) away - from West Malling to Swanley in Kent. Does anyone know of a service that will do this sort of delivery? I thought about a "man with a van" service, but as the scooter weighs about 100kg it might not be that straightforward!

Doesn't it come apart?

Most of the ones I have seen can be easily partly dismanted and the battery pack (the heavy bit usually) lifted out.

Liam
  • itm2
    itm2 Posts: 1,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Thanks for all the advice. I don't know whether it can be dismantled (the owner doesn't know and I can't find a manual for it online - it's a Road King Class 3 model). Removing the battery pack sounds like a good idea though - that would probably weigh at least 20-30kg.
    Will check out the anyvan site...
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    15 miles - drive it.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • itm2
    Robin9 wrote: »
    15 miles - drive it.

2 hours on a mobility scooter? Even if the battery lasts that long it wouldn't do much for my health!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    itm2 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. I don't know whether it can be dismantled (the owner doesn't know and I can't find a manual for it online - it's a Road King Class 3 model). Removing the battery pack sounds like a good idea though - that would probably weigh at least 20-30kg.
    Will check out the anyvan site...
    Having googled the name of scooter then i'd say you can't dismantle it to fit into a boot of a car.
  • itm2
    This looks like the model in question:
    https://mobilityscootersuk.co.uk/index.php/2013-pro-rider-road-king-8mph-mid-size-mobility-scooter.html

Interestingly, it does say "DISMANTLES FOR TRANSPORTATION". Now I just need to find out how!
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 May 2019 at 9:24PM
    That thing comes apart:

1. Lift the seat off, if it will not lift then turn it about 20 degtrees and try again it should come off

2, remove the red cover which can be seen under the seat

3. remove the battery - 15 miles range there's probably 2 of the things, each one about 8 inch by 6 inch by 10 inch (estimated sizes) and they weigh about 12Kg or so each - they probably have a plastic clip connecting each one to the frame.

4. there will be a clip at the base of the pipe which the seat fits on - undo the clip and either tilt the rear wheel section then remove the front bit, or tilt the rear about 90 degrees and lift off the front bit.
    EDIT - don't forget to disconnect the plug which connects the front bit to the wheel section, it will be somewhere near the securing clip at the base of the pipe.
    5. fold the tiller?steering flat.

6. load all the bits in your chosen transport vehicle - the heaviest bit is the motor section (the bit with the rear wheels), followed by the batteries, then it's a tossup whether the front bit or the seat is next heaviest, then the plastic cover which is the lightest.

If desired, the seat arms can also be removed.

The whole lot will fit inside one of the new style MINI's, - some bits on the seat, but in the estate version, no trouble - so if you have a veicle larger that that then you should have no trouble getting it in.
  • itm2
    Thanks so much for that. I was wondering if you could clarify a couple of things which I'm having trouble visualising without having seen the thing close-up yet:
    D_M_E wrote: »
    That thing comes apart:
    4. there will be a clip at the base of the pipe which the seat fits on - undo the clip and either tilt the rear wheel section then remove the front bit, or tilt the rear about 90 degrees and lift off the front bit.
    EDIT - don't forget to disconnect the plug which connects the front bit to the wheel section, it will be somewhere near the securing clip at the base of the pipe.
    5. fold the tiller?steering flat.

Re. 4 - Where is the join between the front and rear sections - is it at the front edge of the motor/battery compartment?

Re.5 - do you mean folding the tiller down so that it is no longer at right-angles to the steering column? If so, is there a lever or something which allows the tiller to be collapsed? Alternatively, could it simply be left as it is for transporting?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure