PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling house - no viewings

Comments

• buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2018 at 2:34PM
    The worst part is that a lot of posters who are supposedly "expert" and "experienced" are encouraging this nonsense :)

Because it can make a huge difference, rooms can look a lot smaller if they are cluttered or the photo's are poorly taken, presenting a property in the best light is always going to get you more viewers..

If you went to the supermarket and there was two bananas, one was a bit bruised and miss-shapen, and the other was not, I know which one 99% of people would go for... Obviously the price is a big factor...

So actually the worst part is complete idiots that are desperate for a house price crash giving poor and misguided advice...
  • letitbe90
    letitbe90 Posts: 345 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2018 at 3:12PM
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    Because it can make a huge difference, rooms can look a lot smaller if they are cluttered or the photo's are poorly taken, presenting a property in the best light is always going to get you more viewers..

If you went to the supermarket and there was two bananas, one was a bit bruised and miss-shapen, and the other was not, I know which one 99% of people would go for... Obviously the price is a big factor...

So actually the worst part is complete idiots that are desperate for a house price crash giving poor and misguided advice...

See this is where you wrong about the rooms looking small. I don't believe for a second any serious buyer takes photo's seriously. When it comes to room size, we want measurements, if the ad doesn't have them - we request them. Even then, we may even measure ourselves to double check. I couldn't give a monkey what kind of wide camera lens or technique they used to make the room look big and spacious.

Also comparing banana purchase to house purchase is a bit rich. I may well pick a banana compared to another because it looks nicer, but I will never pick a house over another house because it was a bit more tidy or the photo's made it look better. That will never be a factor for me and neither should it for anyone.

But please, carry on telling people that removing the trampoling from the garden will be their saving grace.

Lastly, I am not a house price doomsayer. I think there may be some correction in London, but do not expect some crash incoming like the HPC group.

Now realistic reasons you may not be getting viewings:

1) Price too high
    2) Demand in area is not great
    3) Demand lowered due to people expecting house prices to drop in the area (be it true or not)
    4) New developments in area or surrounding area's piquing peoples interest, driving prices down further
    5) There is demand, your price is fine but your timing is unlucky. No suitable buyer is out there at this present time

It reminds me of a property in Croydon once which was put on the market for £325k one week on an open day, but it didn't get any offers. It then had another open day a couple of weeks later and ended up getting multiple offers and ended up being sold for £350k. Luck/timing is an unfortunate fact of buying/selling.
  • Whilst a good listing and ace photos won't sell a house, a bad listing and awful photos can certainly stop an awful lot of people from even looking at your property. It's all about getting prospective buyers over that initial hump.

Of course the price has to be right too.
  • letitbe90
    letitbe90 Posts: 345 Forumite
    edited 3 July 2018 at 3:27PM
    Whilst a good listing and ace photos won't sell a house, a bad listing and awful photos can certainly stop an awful lot of people from even looking at your property. It's all about getting prospective buyers over that initial hump.

Of course the price has to be right too.

Bad photo's and an untidy or even a bit worn down house can equally attract buyers - who will feel they can win a property expecting people not to view it, noticing is a very small job to tidy/renovate the place. You know all that spotting a hidden gem and all that - everyone likes to feel like they can see through the superficial stuff. Obviously they are wrong to think they have a special eye and really what happens is everyone is on the same page.

Anyway, there are obvious works which can be useful - for example seeing half the floor gone, kitchen units falling off or ruined carpets will obviously add to a buyer's mind (legitimately) the cost and time to replace those. However, a trampoline in the garden, a car in the driveway, the toy box in the bed room eetc - NO NO NO.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    letitbe90 wrote: »
    See this is where you wrong about the rooms looking small. I don't believe for a second any serious buyer takes photo's seriously. When it comes to room size, we want measurements, if the ad doesn't have them - we request them. Even then, we may even measure ourselves to double check. I couldn't give a monkey what kind of wide camera lens or technique they used to make the room look big and spacious.

Also comparing banana purchase to house purchase is a bit rich. I may well pick a banana compared to another because it looks nicer, but I will never pick a house over another house because it was a bit more tidy or the photo's made it look better. That will never be a factor for me and neither should it for anyone.

But please, carry on telling people that removing the trampoling from the garden will be their saving grace.

Lastly, I am not a house price doomsayer. I think there may be some correction in London, but do not expect some crash incoming like the HPC group.

1) Price too high
    3) Demand lowered due to people expecting house prices to drop in the area (be it true or not)
    4) New developments in area or surrounding area's piquing peoples interest, driving prices down further
    5) There is demand, your price is fine but your timing is unlucky. No suitable buyer is out there at this present time

It reminds me of a property in Croydon once which was put on the market for £325k one week on an open day, but it didn't get any offers. It then had another open day a couple of weeks later and ended up getting multiple offers and ended up being sold for £350k. Luck/timing is an unfortunate fact of buying/selling.

Was the Croydon house advertised as being in Purley when it was actually on a large council estate in Croydon? Would it still have had multiple offers if it had been?

The OPs house is advertised as being in an area that it is not in and is in the middle of a massive council estate in an area of the country where people avoid having to buy ex council houses.
  • antwilson
    antwilson Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    What is the reasoning behind it being advertised as in Scawthorpe when it is actually in Bentley? I looked at Scawthorpe on google maps and it seems to be a much nicer area with privately owned nice housing. Bentley on the other hand is just one huge council estate and not nearly so nice.

I think your pricing is based on a 2 bed house in Scawthorpe not a 2 bed house in Bentley. Bentley is going to be £10 to £20k cheaper than Scawthorpe for a similarly sized house. In areas where there isn't a shortage of housing people will only buy on a big council estate like this if they can't afford anything better.

People are not going to choose to live in Bentley if they can afford to live anywhere else. You can buy a 3 bed in Bentley for £80 to £90k so a two bed is going to be less than this. From the price comparisons it looks as if you paid too much for it when you bought it.

In an area where there isn't a shortage of housing 2 beds are difficult to sell unless they are much cheaper than a 3 bed house.

Will you be in negative equity if you have to market it at around £80k?

Its marketed as Scawthorpe because that's where it is. Bentley is everything over the other side of the football field opposite.

Marketing at 80k isnt going to happen, because its worth more & I couldn't afford to move @ 80k!
    buggy_boy wrote: »

Completely agree. After looking at houses ready for moving - cost is obviously a major factor but second are pictures. "Pictures say a 1000 words" and all that - if I see something I don't like, I don't read the details.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    antwilson wrote: »
    Its marketed as Scawthorpe because that's where it is. Bentley is everything over the other side of the football field opposite.

Marketing at 80k isnt going to happen, because its worth more & I couldn't afford to move @ 80k!

Completely agree. After looking at houses ready for moving - cost is obviously a major factor but second are pictures. "Pictures say a 1000 words" and all that - if I see something I don't like, I don't read the details.

I think you are going to have to get used to the idea that you are going to have to stay there. At the moment there is too much competition from bigger houses that are similarly priced that are not on that big council estate.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70921349.html I don't think this is timber framed is it?

This is your competition https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69639554.html The problem is that houses do not always go up in value. Sometimes they reduce in value.

In order to sell a house on a council estate especially a big one like yours is on the price has to be cheaper than anything that is not on a council estate. At the moment your is priced so that houses that are bigger and not on a council estate are cheaper.

It doesn't matter how much you want for a property. It is only worth what someone will pay your for it. It isn't worth the imaginary number that the estate agents come up with to get your business. It is only worth what someone will pay. The market in your area has decided that no one wants to pay your asking price for your house so there is basically nothing that anyone can do.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite

1) Price too high

The photo's are the first impression, it will not sell the house but may stop people viewing, there are so many people that cannot do any DIY and will not entertain a property that is not in really good condition, and there are people that cannot see through the clutter.

You sound like a diligent buyer but you are the 0.001%, ive never heard of anyone checking the measurements the estate agents give are actually accurate, yes people check their treasured piece of furniture fits, people can envisage living in a house a lot easier if it is less cluttered, its selling a lifestyle for a lot of people, I think you are way more open minded than most.

Why do you think property developers can make so much money if what you say is true?
  • 51mm5
    51mm5 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Bad photo's and an untidy or even a bit worn down house can equally attract buyers - who will feel they can win a property expecting people not to view it, noticing is a very small job to tidy/renovate the place. You know all that spotting a hidden gem and all that - everyone likes to feel like they can see through the superficial stuff. Obviously they are wrong to think they have a special eye and really what happens is everyone is on the same page.

Anyway, there are obvious works which can be useful - for example seeing half the floor gone, kitchen units falling off or ruined carpets will obviously add to a buyer's mind (legitimately) the cost and time to replace those. However, a trampoline in the garden, a car in the driveway, the toy box in the bed room eetc - NO NO NO.

Nonsense, Surely dressing up the property and removing clutter will give a better impression of the property. Believe it or not, not everyone has the vision to see past clutter and furniture packed rooms/gardens. Why not show off the property at its best? Of course price is key but not presenting a place at its best is madness.
  • antwilson
    antwilson Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    I think you are going to have to get used to the idea that you are going to have to stay there. At the moment there is too much competition from bigger houses that are similarly priced that are not on that big council estate.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70921349.html I don't think this is timber framed is it?

This is your competition https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-69639554.html The problem is that houses do not always go up in value. Sometimes they reduce in value.

In order to sell a house on a council estate especially a big one like yours is on the price has to be cheaper than anything that is not on a council estate. At the moment your is priced so that houses that are bigger and not on a council estate are cheaper.

It doesn't matter how much you want for a property. It is only worth what someone will pay your for it. It isn't worth the imaginary number that the estate agents come up with to get your business. It is only worth what someone will pay. The market in your area has decided that no one wants to pay your asking price for your house so there is basically nothing that anyone can do.

One of the houses is in a different village which has generally lower prices and a bad area due to proximity to a park. The other is a shared ownership so not really suitable for comparison!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure