New glasses

Comments

• I have used ASDA for my last three pairs of varifocals, each time specifying Varilux Comfort lenses made by Essillor.

They fitted Varilux Comfort varifocal lenses into my existing frame costing me £110.

My local independent optician quoted in excess of £200.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    missile wrote: »
    Glasses work best at a particular focal length. My optician asked me at what distance I held a book to read, which is closer than distance to my computer. She asked which I did most often and adjusted my prescription accordingly.:j

I understand some optometrists will take a third measurement for people who use computers a lot.
  • Will never use boots again after the optician totally got my prescription wrong knowing I was only paying for the test and intended to buy online.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Biggles wrote: »
    Check out your local independent optician too, they are much more competitive these days and usually much better personal service.

What? They rob you blind!
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What? They rob you blind!

Ha ha. Nice pun.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Both Asda and Tesco provide better customer service and price. I too was with Specsavers who have always been good and certainly better than Boots Opticians (see reviews on Trustpilot).

Don't forget the independent opticians who provide the additional service on lenses only in your old glasses or lenses for your frames bought elsewhere.
  • GraceCourt
    GraceCourt Posts: 317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 December 2020 at 7:01PM
    The site at goggles4u.co.uk has featured elsewhere on these forums because for some years it has been trading illegally, passing itself off as American Eye Vision Inc., a US company, but the registrant was identified only as "Skybeans", at a residential address in Swindon (132 Redcliffe Street, Rodbourne, Swindon SN2 2BY).  Recently, a UK accommodation address was added (1-11, Alvin St, Gloucester, GL1 3EJ), but this is simply a mail forwarding address and is not an address at which legal process can be served.
    Nominet UK is the registrar for the ".uk" top level domain and, although the goggles4u.co.uk domain is actually registered with 123-Reg Limited, a domain reseller, that company has failed to properly identify the domain registrant as required by Nominet UK's contractual terms and conditions, despite being required to do so by Nominet UK in 2017.   Nominet UK finally took direct action over this breach recently by suspending the domain, and details of the current registrant have finally been provided, and it is not American Eye Vision Inc.  The registrant is World Eye Vision Limited, registered at Companies House as a limited company on 21 November 2018 in England with company number 11689155, registered office address 114 High Street, Cranfield, Bedford, England, MK43 0DG (the company accountants, Jonathan Vowles Accountants).  The sole director is a Farrukh Khan, resident in the USA, and this company describes American Eye Vision Inc. as an "associated company that is registered in the USA".
    The significance of all this?  The terms and conditions state that California law applies to purchases via the UK site but as World Eye Vision Limited is the registrant and is incorporated in England with assets within the jurisdiction of the UK Courts, it's likely that those assets arise out of purchases by UK consumers and that, despite the "California law" terms and conditions, UK consumer protection legislation - particularly the Consumer Rights Act 2015 - can be enforced against World Eye Vision Limited in the County Court.  It's certainly worthwhile exploring this option as it is completely impractical to try to do so in the USA, and a "Part 27" claim - currently applying to claims of up to £10,000 - doesn't need the involvement of a solicitor.
    Personally, I'd never buy eyewear from a trader that conducts its business in this way, but if you do, and the purchase is unsatisfactory (well-known online sites do list complaints about quality and delivery delays) there is at least now a potential remedy if all else fails.

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Varifocals come in different grades.  The cheapest ones are very basic and in my experience not very good.  Last time I got a new prescription I upgraded the lenses and they were a lot more expensive.  However the difference was absolutely staggering.  I put the new specs on and could see clearly almost immediately.

There is a lot more to spectacles than just the £s
  • metrobus
    metrobus Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I’ll never use Boots again after they gave me a prescription that was nowhere near what I needed after I said I was not buying from them and only wanted an eye test. There single vision glasses are 4 times the price that I pay now for the same quality
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I use Asda exclusively now, I have tried goggles4u and on several pairs they got the PD wrong so not again.
    FWIW I know that the standard frames and lenses Asda use only cost them about £10 in all but it is a world of you get what you pay for and as a pair of varifocals are about £40, if they work for you then IMO its a good deal - if they don't work for you then they will refund you.

I only wish they had more choice of wider mens frames in the lower priced frames.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback