Royal Mail Dispute

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Pollycat wrote: »
    The bit in bold says it all.

So - are posties "company ruled bound to also use trolley" or aren't they?
    Because if they are and are ignoring this, it is another example of RM employees ignoring rules.

Nope,no rule enforcing it.
    Hence my point that most offices (IME) dont have enough hardware for posties to use trolleys if they so chose to/needed to.
    I note you highlighted a tiny part of my post.
    Not that RM have no issue with posties using these quicker methods.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    custardy wrote: »
    Nope,no rule enforcing it.
    Hence my point that most offices (IME) dont have enough hardware for posties to use trolleys if they so chose to/needed to.
    I note you highlighted a tiny part of my post.
    Not that RM have no issue with posties using these quicker methods.
    OK.
    So this post by the OP isn't true...
    by the way, we are company ruled bound to also use trolley to deliver where physically possible, RM don't enforce this either as it will add hours to an average delivery duty, but now "if" we all decided to use them, they would probably deem this IA!
    There is no rule enforcing the use of trolleys.

I highlighted that tiny part of your post because - to me - it shows that posties appear to do whatever they want.
    Including taking their own mail without gaining permission.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Pollycat wrote: »
    OK.
    So this post by the OP isn't true...

There is no rule enforcing the use of trolleys.

I highlighted that tiny part of your post because - to me - it shows that posties appear to do whatever they want.
    Including taking their own mail without gaining permission.

Well I can see you are harping on about it.
    Im not current as I said, but Im pretty confident trolleys are not 'enforced' because it suits RM that they arent.
    So whilst you have decided its posties doing 'what they like' I think you will find its an arrangement that suits RM fine.

If they enforced trolley use then they would be looking to recruit quite a lot more staff.
  • Pollycat
    custardy wrote: »
    Well I can see you are harping on about it.
    Im not current as I said, but Im pretty confident trolleys are not 'enforced' because it suits RM that they arent.
    So whilst you have decided its posties doing 'what they like' I think you will find its an arrangement that suits RM fine.

If they enforced trolley use then they would be looking to recruit quite a lot more staff.
    I'm harping on about it because it is possible that the OP is posting stuff that isn't true.
    That's all.

Right at the beginning of this thread, Altarf brought this up:
    Altarf wrote: »
    The rules for postal elections for industrial action are they must be sent to home addresses to prevent individuals being pressured to vote in a particular way.

Royal Mail staff were intercepting their ballot paper in the sorting office, and then filming themselves voting for action whilst surrounded by colleagues egging them on.

Royal Mail staff intercepting their own mail and opening it the sorting office is not permitted without permission from Royal Mail management, for obvious security reasons.
    It took the OP 5 posts to admit this:
    to be honest, we were encouraged by the CWU to immediately post photos on social media as part of the campaign to gather support, this may have now backfired, even if the union lose in court tuesday it isn't over to fight for our rights, just delayed

If someone wants me to do this:
    please support your postie,
    I want the full story.
    Not misinformation.
    Not to be told employees are "company ruled bound" if they aren't.
    As you say, you are 'out of date' so I will await confirmation from the OP regarding this "company ruled bound" trolley use.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    The risk assessment I linked previously is from 2018, so probably fairly current. There is nothing there that mandates using trolleys (for normal postal deliveries), so it can't be a "company rule".
  • not sure how to post a photo, but this info is from 2013
    https://ibb.co/LPGjkdc

apologies if link doesn't work
  • not sure how to post a photo, but this info is from 2013

apologies if link doesn't work

and it's quite some time since every single postie in my d/o were issued with 1 so my memory a tad sketchy
    but we all had to sign that we must now use them unless conditions said otherwise, there was scaremongering about being conducted at the time if anyone went sick with a bad back etc. and were found not to have been using a trolley
    needless to say hardly anyone used them and that's yet another error on our part
  • Pollycat
    edited 11 November 2019 at 7:44PM
    and it's quite some time since every single postie in my d/o were issued with 1 so my memory a tad sketchy
    but we all had to sign that we must now use them unless conditions said otherwise, there was scaremongering about being conducted at the time if anyone went sick with a bad back etc. and were found not to have been using a trolley
    needless to say hardly anyone used them and that's yet another error on our part
    So RM employees don't use equipment that RM management say is mandatory?
    OK.
    So it's accurate to say that posties do whatever they want.
    Not only do they take their mail from the sorting office without seeking permission, they also don't/won't use equipment that has been provided for their benefit.
  • most didn't use them as it meant working past their finish time or face an argument with a manager if they wanted to finish on time,
    no extra time was allocated despite it being slower to use a trolley
    even now, quite a few start early for free and work through their (paid) break just to finish on time because they don't want a battle with a manager, and believe me, they can be very nasty
  • Pollycat
    most didn't use them as it meant working past their finish time or face an argument with a manager if they wanted to finish on time,
    no extra time was allocated despite it being slower to use a trolley
    even now, quite a few start early for free and work through their (paid) break just to finish on time because they don't want a battle with a manager, and believe me, they can be very nasty

What do you think your union is for?
    It's not just for giving pretty stupid advice to employees to film themselves filling in ballot papers in their place of employment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure