Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    lupylucy
    P.I.P. timescales...
    • 15th Aug 13, 10:23 AM
    P.I.P. timescales... 15th Aug 13 at 10:23 AM
    hi. just wondering if anyone had a rough idea of how long claims take please. If anyone had already claimed and payment is now being made how long? I had waited 11 weeks untill i rang pip and got atos phone number and contacted them direct to chase up my appointment, of which i got a cancellation (yey). If i ring pip they just say as its a new benefit they cant say how long but estimate is 10 weeks. tuesday will be bang on 3 calender months since i originally claimed.
    thanks
Page 2
  • lupylucy
    im still waiting, 16 weeks along now and still waiting for atos to send info back to pip. has anyone got to the end and a decision yet? im in the north east if that makes any difference
  • Crisp note
    My PIP form was sent in a few days before it was due, I received the 'we havent received it yet' reminder letter.

Trouble is I am worrying I didnt fill the dorm in properly. The more I think about it there was much more detailed information I could have added, but I was having a bad month and was finding the form hard to complete.

I sent it in around 14th August so about a month ago now. Could be early days I suppose but I haven't heared anything about it. I did state on the form that I had difficulty using the telephone so I would appreciate communication in writing if at all posible but I still haven't heared anything.

I do have an appointment next week with the rhumatologist (which seemed to appear from knowhere as I recall my next appointment should be anual check up in January - although saying this I have consulted my Dr about the condition worsening in the past few months so perhaps it was a referel from the dr ?? ).

Does anyone have a timescale on how much longer I need to wait or how to chase it up please? I am being patient but I am worrying whether they got the form and dismissed it as being late or something.

Thanks

Failure is only someone elses judgement.
    Without change there would be no butterflies.
    If its important to you, you'll find a way - if not, you'll find an excuse ! ~ Easy to say when you take money out of the equation!

• CTcelt1988
    • By CTcelt1988 14th Sep 13, 7:56 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 283 Thanks
    CTcelt1988
    This might help.

http://disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2013/september/pip-timetable-amended
  • portly1

So it has been put back to the 28th October.

What really concerns me and many have asked me if I know the answer is what happens to those that failed to gain the Enhanced Mobility Element when it was under the 20 metre rule if they do in fact move it upwards to say 30 metres and they would have passed it at that new level? - Re-apply????

You can't have two sets of PIP applicants being tested under different rules.

Given that the 20 metre rule is already in force and people have been tested against that level, how could the government justify actually changing it now?

Surely it should have been set at the right level at the start not part way through the assessing programme?
    • 925dancer
    • By 925dancer 19th Sep 13, 12:16 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 878 Thanks
    925dancer
    Finally got the dreaded letter from ATOS, my assessment is on 18th October, so about 3 months after I first applied! Dreading it already.
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 19th Sep 13, 12:46 PM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    rogerblack
    So it has been put back to the 28th October.

What really concerns me and many have asked me if I know the answer is what happens to those that failed to gain the Enhanced Mobility Element when it was under the 20 metre rule if they do in fact move it upwards to say 30 metres and they would have passed it at that new level? - Re-apply????

You can't have two sets of PIP applicants being tested under different rules.

Given that the 20 metre rule is already in force and people have been tested against that level, how could the government justify actually changing it now?
    Originally posted by portly1
    Simply.

Because - as noted above - nobody has actually seen a completed PIP claim yet.
    • Widelats
    • By Widelats 19th Sep 13, 5:21 PM
    • 3,640 Posts
    • 2,716 Thanks
    Widelats
    How do you know he was a 'quality control guy'?
    Originally posted by schrodie
    He told me so, plus the physiotherapist forgot a few things like giving me a travel expenses form and the "Quality control guy" stepped in and reminded him.
    Owed out = lots.
    • Widelats
    • By Widelats 19th Sep 13, 5:38 PM
    • 3,640 Posts
    • 2,716 Thanks
    Widelats
    Finally got the dreaded letter from ATOS, my assessment is on 18th October, so about 3 months after I first applied! Dreading it already.
    Originally posted by 925dancer
    Well, this assessment i had has only been my first one, and honestly there is nothing to dread, my physio was brilliant, understood the problems i was having and was polite, friendly and very helpful, listened to everything i had to say and told me they are not here to torture anyone and if i did not feel ok doing any particular exercise to simply say no and that would be fine.

If you get a idiot assessor i guess your experience will be different from mine.
    Owed out = lots.
  • portly1
    He told me so, plus the physiotherapist forgot a few things like giving me a travel expenses form and the "Quality control guy" stepped in and reminded him.
    Originally posted by Widelats
    So a stranger sat in with you during the assessment? On what basis? On what authority?

I would question this as I thought that it was private.

If that happens to me either he goes or I do!
  • portly1
    Well, this assessment i had has only been my first one, and honestly there is nothing to dread, my physio was brilliant, understood the problems i was having and was polite, friendly and very helpful, listened to everything i had to say and told me they are not here to torture anyone and if i did not feel ok doing any particular exercise to simply say no and that would be fine.
    Originally posted by Widelats
    That sounds vaguely similar to an ESA assessment and then you get a letter telling you that you have failed!!
    • Widelats
    • By Widelats 20th Sep 13, 12:36 PM
    • 3,640 Posts
    • 2,716 Thanks
    Widelats
    So a stranger sat in with you during the assessment? On what basis? On what authority?

I would question this as I thought that it was private.

If that happens to me either he goes or I do!
    You may be right. I may have to question this.
    Owed out = lots.
  • heart_free
    Well sent my forms back 3 weeks ago and no response, but I'm not going to hold my breathe. I'm still waiting for my 14 week ESA assessment and it's week 25 now! I rang ATOS ad they said there's severe delays in South Wales and it may be another month or 2 before my ESA assessment. So the PIP will probably be next year!

"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I TURN UP ONLY ONCE."
    - Terry Pratchett
    • Julie67
    • By Julie67 21st Sep 13, 9:26 AM
    • 2,354 Posts
    • 21,279 Thanks
    Julie67
    I'm another one who got the letter stating they hadn't received my form despite sending it in plenty of time.
    I sent my form back at the end of August so not heard anything at all yet, I'm waiting for knee replacements. At this rate they will have been done and dusted before I even have the assessment
    I'm in the North West, but it sounds like severe delays across the whole of the country.
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
    • rogerblack
    • By rogerblack 21st Sep 13, 12:40 PM
    • 9,273 Posts
    • 9,438 Thanks
    rogerblack
    I'm another one who got the letter stating they hadn't received my form despite sending it in plenty of time.
    I sent my form back at the end of August so not heard anything at all yet, I'm waiting for knee replacements. At this rate they will have been done and dusted before I even have the assessment
    Originally posted by Julie67
    You do know that for PIP, your needs need to have existed for 3 months, and are likely to continue to exist for 9?

(Assuming that it was a fresh application in August).
    If you are expected to be healed by May or so - then you may not be eligible - nomatter your current state.
    • Widelats
    • By Widelats 21st Sep 13, 9:55 PM
    • 3,640 Posts
    • 2,716 Thanks
    Widelats
    That sounds vaguely similar to an ESA assessment and then you get a letter telling you that you have failed!!
    To be honest, i am not expecting to pass as i can walk, not very far with Achilles Tendonitis, around 30 - 40 steps slowly, before i need to stop and give them a break, but its still walking.

I am not disabled as such, not wheelchair bound, so i don't think i have a leg to stand on (pardon the pun)
    Owed out = lots.
    • Aginoth
    • By Aginoth 24th Sep 13, 10:58 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Aginoth
    Well sent my forms back 3 weeks ago and no response, but I'm not going to hold my breathe. I'm still waiting for my 14 week ESA assessment and it's week 25 now! I rang ATOS ad they said there's severe delays in South Wales and it may be another month or 2 before my ESA assessment. So the PIP will probably be next year!
    Originally posted by heart_free

I am a volunteer CAB advisor (All opinions are my own here)...but currently we are seeing 39 weeks plus wait for ESA applications first reply and 26 weeks plus (and counting ) for PIP.
    • Derwent
    • By Derwent 24th Sep 13, 1:44 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Derwent
    I applied for PIP on 8th April, had my assessment on 3rd July, but still no report submitted to DWP by ATOS some 12 weeks later. Rang ATOS to find out what's happening and they told me there is a big backlog as all reports are having to go through a newly introduced checking process to make sure they're fit for purpose and meet quality guidelines. They were unable to give me any idea of how long this would take.
    Its amazing how these banks can't even do simple calculations correctly..............
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 27th Sep 13, 11:26 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    earthmother
    Can anyone tell me how long on average it takes for the form itself to be sent out? I made the application phone call 2 weeks ago, but haven't received anything yet. I'm guessing from what I've seen here that I need to wait a while longer before contacting them.
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
  • portly1
    I applied for PIP on 8th April, had my assessment on 3rd July, but still no report submitted to DWP by ATOS some 12 weeks later. Rang ATOS to find out what's happening and they told me there is a big backlog as all reports are having to go through a newly introduced checking process to make sure they're fit for purpose and meet quality guidelines. They were unable to give me any idea of how long this would take.
    Originally posted by Derwent
    As a matter of interest do you know if ATOS have been in contact with your GP or anyone else that you have told them may be able to give evidence on your behalf?

The 'new' system is as a result of them (ATOS) being slated for poor quality ESA reports. They have had a rocket put up their backside as they are in danger of losing the contract.

I doubt that they are doing this check to help you - more a question of them being seen to do a more thorough job for the DWP - their paymaster!!
    • Derwent
    • By Derwent 30th Sep 13, 12:16 PM
    • 557 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Derwent
    As a matter of interest do you know if ATOS have been in contact with your GP or anyone else that you have told them may be able to give evidence on your behalf?

The 'new' system is as a result of them (ATOS) being slated for poor quality ESA reports. They have had a rocket put up their backside as they are in danger of losing the contract.

I doubt that they are doing this check to help you - more a question of them being seen to do a more thorough job for the DWP - their paymaster!!

They haven't contacted my GP at all. I have an appointment at hospital tomorrow with the Vascular Consultant so I will ask him then if he has had any contact from ATOS.
    Its amazing how these banks can't even do simple calculations correctly..............
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,211Posts Today

6,665Users online

Martin's Twitter