Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 28th Oct 08, 8:33 PM
    • 863Posts
    • 1,060Thanks
    Thanatos
    DLA / AA Decision Maker - CLOSED - REFERENCE ONLY
    • 28th Oct 08, 8:33 PM
    DLA / AA Decision Maker - CLOSED - REFERENCE ONLY 28th Oct 08 at 8:33 PM
    Hi,

I am a Disability Living Allowance (DLA) & Attendance Allowancence (AA) Decision Maker based in Warbreck House in Blackpool.

If I can help out with any queries about the rules and regulations of DLA/AA please feel free to Message me or post your queries in this thread and i will answer what I can. All advise I give is my own personal opinion based on my knowledge of the benefit and obviously not official government guidance.

I have compiled some tips of what I would suggest based on my own method of dealing with claims and that of the people I work with.

I see many tips from people suggesting you put the details down for your worst day. This is my number one No-No! We have a very in depth detailled computer system called CCM (Customer Case Management) that tells us what needs should arise from the stated conditions.
    For example, someone with mild Arthritis is bound to have the odd bad day where they are in considerable pain and struggle with stairs, getting in and out of chairs etc etc. However, we know that under normal circumstances mild Arthritis does not cause that level of problem most of the time. All DLA and AA awards are based on your needs most of the time and not your worst days only. By putting your worst days on the forms for lesser conditions all you are doing is making the Decision Maker suspicious of your claim.
    It is not our job to "police" the benefit system, but if we see a claim that does not add up, it will fall under close scrutinisation from our in-house Doctors (who we use for advise) as well as GP Factual Reports (GPFR), Hospital Factual Reports , Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists etc etc etc the list is endless. The bottom line is to tell it exactly how it is, if you have 2 bad days a week on average, 3 average days and 2 good days, say so in the form. Honesty is the best policy in this case!

I would also advise you send in any medical evidence you have with your claim (photocopy everything too!) as this can speed your claim up by weeks. Certain cases (those with Higher rate mobility Component and Middle or higher Care component) must undergo what we call "Initial Scrutiny" e.g we have no choice but to go for medical evidence under management instruction. This takes at least 2 weeks for a GP, or considerably longer for hospitals. We do not get charged for Hospital reports so are encouraged to try hospitals before GP's. A simple letter from the hospital can make a massive difference to the speed of your claim. Obvioulsy these are not the only cases we go for medical evidence, some times we simply require confirmation a condition has got worse (or better) or things do not add up etc so always include any evidence you have.

If you are claiming for a child 9/10 times we will go to the school for confirmation of needs first so a letter from them, or even the back section of the form filled in by them is beneficial.

I have some guidance at work that I will grab tomorrow and post in this opening thread of exactly what qualifies for what in terms of needs.

If anyone wants to ask about official rules etc, feel free to ask and i can post that information as it is all freely available in the legislation anyway (just simplified for lay people rather than the lawyers that wrote it! )

I thought this general guide to what qualifies you for what level of the benefit might help:

MOBILITY COMPONENT:

HIGHER RATE QUALIFICATION (AGED 3+):

MUST BE:

VIRTUALLY UNABLE OR UNABLE TO WALK
    OR
    BOTH BLIND AND DEAF
    OR
    DOUBLE AMPUTEE
    OR
    HAVE A SEVERE MENTAL IMPAIRMENT

LOWER RATE QUALIFICATION (AGED 5+):

MUST BE ABLE TO WALK BUT IS SO SEVERELY DISABLED PHYSICALLY OR MENTALLY,
    THAT THEY CAN NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FACULTY OF OUTDOORS WITHOUT:

GUIDANCE
    OR
    SUPERVISION
    MOST OF THE TIME WHEN WALKING IN UNFAMILIAR SURROUNDINGS

IN LOWER RATE CASES OF CHILDREN AGED 5-16

CHILD MUST SATISFY THE NORMAL CRITERIA PLUS SUBSTANTIALLY MORE SUPERVISION THAN A PERSON THEIR AGE WOULD NORMALLY REQUIRE
    OR
    SUPERVISION THAT A PERSON YOUNGER THAN THEM IN NORMAL PHYSICAL HEALTH WOULD NEED, BUT A PERSON THEIR AGE IN NORMAL PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH WOULD NOT REQUIRE.

CARE COMPONENT:

DAY QUALIFICATION (MIDDLE RATE CARE):

FREQUENT ATTENTION FROM IN CONNECTION WITH BODILY FUNCTIONS
    OR
    CONTINUAL SUPERVISION TO PREVENT SUBSTANTIAL DANGER TO THEMSELVES OR OTHERS

NIGHT QUALIFICATION (MIDDLE RATE CARE):

PROLONGED OR REPEATED ATTENTION IN CONNECTION WITH BODILY FUNCTIONS
    OR
    ANOTHER PERSON TO BE AWAKE FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OR AT FREQUENT INTERVALS TO WATCH OVER THEM TO AVOID SUBSTANTIAL DANGER TO THEM OR OTHERS

IF BOTH DAY AND NIGHT NEEDS ABOVE ARE PRESENT, THEN AWARD IS HIGHER RATE CARE

[COLOR=red]LOWEST RATE DLA

ATTENTION WITH THEIR BODILY FUNCTIONS FOR A SIGNIFICANT PORTION OF THE DAY
    OR
    MAIN MEAL TEST

KEY:

FREQUENT: SEVERAL TIMES, NOT ONCE OR TWICE
    PROLONGED: 20 MINUTES (APPROX.)
    REPEATED: MORE THAN ONCE
    SIGNIFICANT PORTION: LENGTH OF TIME ABOUT 1 HR
    CONTINUAL: ALL OF THE TIME (SUBJECT TO BRIEF INTERRUPTIONS)

IN ALL CASES OF CHILDREN AGED 0-16

CHILD MUST SATISFY THE NORMAL CRITERIA PLUS SUBSTANTIALLY MORE CARE THAN A PERSON THEIR AGE WOULD NORMALLY REQUIRE
    OR
    CARE THAT A PERSON YOUNGER THAN THEM IN NORMAL PHYSICAL HEALTH WOULD NEED, BUT A PERSON THEIR AGE IN NORMAL PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH WOULD NOT REQUIRE.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 19-12-2008 at 4:11 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Page 2
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 29th Oct 08, 12:58 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Thanatos
    It's good of you to help us understand the decision-making process.

I'm interested from the viewpoint of someone with ME. If someone is pacing themselves properly, they may be able to do most of the things on the form - but the effort of doing them will cause problems on the following days. How can the form be filled in to show this?
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    I suggest adding this info on a seperate piece of paper attached to the claim pack.
    We are aware of this scenario with ME. Its a hard one to call as a DM and we generally lean heavily on medical advise from either your own doctors or ours.

ME is a complex medical condition, and as we are not medically trained, these are the sort of cases we are encouraged to seek additional info on. Dont be supprised by EMP (examining medical doctors) being called out to examine you at home - its not because we dont believe you or anything like that, its because we need additional info we are struggling to get elsewhere.
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 29th Oct 08, 1:06 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Thanatos
    hi some advice please my mum has got severe osteoarthritos in her hip and has been told she needs a complete hip replacement she cannot work,can barely walk and needs help with personal care...she applied for dla a couple of years ago and the forms we're filled in properly,accurately and very thorougthly..yet dla refused. she has seen a surgeon again today and i have made her ring the dla again to try and claim again her dr and surgeon are very aware of her situation and her limitations,she didnt push for tribuneral last time as she assumed what they said was more or less final.... with doctors report and surgeons report both last time and this time stating she can barely move,bend, walking is practically a no no for her is there such a thing with certain illnesses that just will not make it through dla regardless of what doc/surgeon reports say??this time im making sure that even if they refuse again that she will see it through till the end!!
    Originally posted by chelleybelley
    There are illnesses that will never make it through DLA or AA claims, but what you have stated is not one of those examples (you would be amazed at what people try to claim - HR care for being deaf in one ear, that sort of thing)

DLA/AA's biggest problem is that unlike all other benefits there is no formula for deciding a claim.

For example, JSA = Amount paid in to system, plus kids, plus other dependents less savings = payment
    or CSA = total income by number of kids = csa payment

With DLA its all down to the opinion of a DM. Obviously I cant comment of specifics based on the info you have provided, but it doesnt sound like the decision was right. However this could have been turned down for any one of a 1000 reasons.

The one thing I can suggest is to try again. If its turned down ask for a reconsideration of that decision and it will be given to another DM to look at. If it still fails appeal. Slightly shocking, but approx 50% of all decisions are overturned at appeal.
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 29th Oct 08, 1:11 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Thanatos
    what a fantasic idea well done you for thinking of it.
    My Son has ADHD and bad bowel problems he has just been awarded the higher rate of care and lower mobility however I thought he would have remained on middle care but higher mobility as getting to hospital appiontments is vital and we live in such a rural area I have no choice but to have a good working car. He can not travel on public transport and even if he could it would take hours to get to hospitals. either way by the time we get to hospitals he always needs a full change of clothing.
    I have tried getting finance for a newer car but its a no go as Im on benefits.
    Is there anything I can do about this?
    Originally posted by alexcross
    probably not. ADHD does not affect his physical ability to walk, although he probably needs supervision when walking, that would only qualify him for the lower rate of mobility.

If all that remains is the bowel problems, essentially if they are so bad he can not walk more than approx 70 meters (some flexibility on this figure based on gait and manner of walking) then he wont qualify.

We do not take into account distances from hospitals, rural areas etc etc...

Again though, if you feel he should get it, please do not let my advise put you off asking them to look again at the claim. I can only advise what I would consider myself, as am not officially sanctioned to post here by DLA i can not offer official guidance.
    • Morglin
    • By Morglin 29th Oct 08, 6:11 AM
    • 14,668 Posts
    • 26,982 Thanks
    Morglin
    hi some advice please my mum has got severe osteoarthritos in her hip and has been told she needs a complete hip replacement she cannot work,can barely walk and needs help with personal care...she applied for dla a couple of years ago and the forms we're filled in properly,accurately and very thorougthly..yet dla refused. she has seen a surgeon again today and i have made her ring the dla again to try and claim again her dr and surgeon are very aware of her situation and her limitations,she didnt push for tribuneral last time as she assumed what they said was more or less final.... with doctors report and surgeons report both last time and this time stating she can barely move,bend, walking is practically a no no for her is there such a thing with certain illnesses that just will not make it through dla regardless of what doc/surgeon reports say??this time im making sure that even if they refuse again that she will see it through till the end!!
    Originally posted by chelleybelley
    It's generally always worth appealing a negative DLA decisions, as a large amount are overturned on appeal - this site gives a good guide to whether your condition warrants claiming:

http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/default.asp

If you do appeal, make sure you actually attend the tribunal - last figures show that 70% of attended appeals are successful, but only 30% of "paper reviews" are.

The problems is that EMP's vary in quality, some GP/consultant reports are less than informative, and DM's are not medically qualified.

Many people have more than one disability and confusion can arise because sometimes they inter-relate in a way that isn't always straightforward to a non-medical person or a computer, so explain it.

If you are unsure about the claim forms, then usually the CAB will point you in the direction of a welfare rights worker, who can help, and will also assist if you do need to appeal.

Before you claim, make your GP and consultant aware that you are going to claim, and what your current care/mobility needs are, so that, when they are asked, they can send a report that is up to date.

Send as much evidence as you can, and if you need to clarify things, then attach seperate sheets of paper.

Both from my own claim, and those I now do as an advocate, I would advise giving "worse day" scenario's, but be honest about how often they occur - very few disabilities are "worse day" all of the time.

I've never had any sort of problem with DLA unit, and all claims I have submitted have been awarded, although the claims take an age to be processed lately, but I am always very aware that carefully filled out forms, plenty of medical evidence, and explanations of certain disabilities/effects goes a long way towards ensuring a smooth process.

Lin
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset.
  • sad dog lady
    id like to ask for my son... he has dla middle care and low rate mobility ... this is ongoing no end date.. my son has aspergers and ocd
    i recently spoke to pathways at encap and they said he should be getting
    incapasity benefit... he is 17
    should i apply?

he is part time at college too, till june next yr.
  • Marple4848
    DLA Advice -
    My grandaughter who is 2 in Jan`08 has been diagnosed with Morning Glory Syndrome and is regisitered as partially sighted. She lives with her Mum, my daughter, who works part time and is in receipt of various working tax credits. Is she able to claim DLA ? and what supporting material would you advise her to supply with the application. Thank You
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 29th Oct 08, 10:28 AM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    I just wanted to say thank you to Thanatos for being kind enough to give us his/her time all the sensible and measured 'pointers' s/he has made, and continues to make (I won't say 'advice' as I know these comments are not officially sanctioned by DLA).

As a disabled person who has had to complete these dreaded form several times, I can say that the DLA DM sometimes seems like the enemy, so it is also good to know these people are human like the rest of us!

Thanks Thanatos
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 29th Oct 08, 10:43 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Thanatos
    id like to ask for my son... he has dla middle care and low rate mobility ... this is ongoing no end date.. my son has aspergers and ocd
    i recently spoke to pathways at encap and they said he should be getting
    incapasity benefit... he is 17
    should i apply?

he is part time at college too, till june next yr.
    Originally posted by sad dog lady
    Hi, sorry but DLA has no "relations" with IB other than sharing some medical reports. All I know is that IB claims generally require a medical examination and are based on a points scoring system. I would have assumed if he is on middle rate DLA he would stand a pretty good chance, but I dont really know any more about IB than anyone else. Sorry!
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 29th Oct 08, 10:54 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Thanatos
    My grandaughter who is 2 in Jan`08 has been diagnosed with Morning Glory Syndrome and is regisitered as partially sighted. She lives with her Mum, my daughter, who works part time and is in receipt of various working tax credits. Is she able to claim DLA ? and what supporting material would you advise her to supply with the application. Thank You
    Originally posted by Marple4848
    Here we have a DLA oddity. Its actually harder for a child to get DLA than an adult. This one gets slightly complex, so forgive me if I go on a bit...

Firstly Children under 3 are not entitled to ANY rate of the mobility component regardless of the condition. (Children aged between 3-5 can get the lower rate mobility component and over 5's can get both). This is quiet annoying, as lower rate mobility for sight problems are common, as guidance is needed to ensure their safety, but the logic behind it is ALL children under 3 need constant supervision outdoors, so the disability doesnt cause additional needs.

Additional needs is the key wording here, all children claiming DLA must show significantly more needs than another child of a similar age without the condition. Again, the logic is simply that all children have care needs and if it was accepted that things like helping a child dress, wash, etc etc then most under 5's would be entitlled to DLA with or without a disability.

Regarding the care component, if you can show that she has significantly more needs than any other 2 year old, then there is a good chance she will qualify, but this might be hard to show with a child so young. I suggest putting any and all needs down and see what the DM thinks.

Rule of thumb is that its always worth applying in new claim cases as you have nothing to lose trying... as far as evidence is concerned, if she goes to a nursery a letter from them explaining extra care she recieved would be helpful, or social worker/GP/Hospital.
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 29th Oct 08, 10:59 AM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Thanatos
    I just wanted to say thank you to Thanatos for being kind enough to give us his/her time all the sensible and measured 'pointers' s/he has made, and continues to make (I won't say 'advice' as I know these comments are not officially sanctioned by DLA).

As a disabled person who has had to complete these dreaded form several times, I can say that the DLA DM sometimes seems like the enemy, so it is also good to know these people are human like the rest of us!
    Thanks Thanatos
    Originally posted by zzzLazyDaisy
    No worries - most of us are nice people...

Nice things are happening at DLA/AA units at the moment, we are being encouraged to make more phone calls to customers to get information first hand and a scheme called PIDMA (Proffesionalism in Decision Making and Appeals) is rolling out to improve the accuracy and consistancy of our decisions (helped out by the University of Chester). There is also a new processing system called "LEAN" that promises amazing things concerning processing times (and from what i have seen looks like it might actually work!), and the helpline is mid recruitment to increase its numbers so the calls can be answered quicker. Lots of things to look forward to for our customers
  • somebody_else
    I'd also like to thank Thantos. It's very brave of him/her considering some of the experiences some of us have had when trying to claim DLA.

As a former NHS employee, I know first hand that the majority of employees are very human and work very hard to provide the best service/care they can - it's the minority of employees that not only give the rest a bad name, but also make life more difficult than it need be.

Could I just ask one quick question? My first DLA award was for 2 years and due to expire in May, my second award was more or less the same. Then my 3rd award was decided quite early, and was for 3 years, but because of time the decision was made it expires in January of next year. I received the renewal forms for this award in July, and within 2 weeks I'd received a letter telling that they'd not had my forms back (not surprising, I hadn't even started filling them out by that point), and I've since had a couple more asking for my forms asap. Why the rush? I know it takes time for the decisions to be made but 7 months?. The cynic in me wonders if this is a not so subtle way to save money - if I fill the forms in as fast as it's being implied I'm expected to, and my award is either reduced or stopped, then DWP saves themselves up to 6 months worth of DLA.

Is that the idea behind it?
    s/e
    • Sueinbirmingham
    • By Sueinbirmingham 29th Oct 08, 2:44 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    Sueinbirmingham
    Previously, when I've been awarded DLA, it's been on the basis of risk, but I think I have bodily function needs. Does the fact that the award letter only mentions risk mean that the decision maker thought that I didn't need help with bodily functions, or does it mean that they didn't think it necessary to consider it once that they had established that risk was an issue?

Also, if I need help most of the time but not all of the time because I have an episodic condition where I am ill most of the time but occasionally have a week or two where I'm not so ill, how do I fill in the boxes that say how many days a week? Can I put "varies, see below" and then put the information in the big box? Can I translate months of the year into days of the week? Or how do I do it?
    • Sueinbirmingham
    • By Sueinbirmingham 29th Oct 08, 3:39 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    Sueinbirmingham
    Forget the second half of my question because I've filled in the boxes on my form, but I am still interested in interpreting my last award.
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 29th Oct 08, 4:00 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Thanatos
    I'd also like to thank Thantos. It's very brave of him/her considering some of the experiences some of us have had when trying to claim DLA.

As a former NHS employee, I know first hand that the majority of employees are very human and work very hard to provide the best service/care they can - it's the minority of employees that not only give the rest a bad name, but also make life more difficult than it need be.

Could I just ask one quick question? My first DLA award was for 2 years and due to expire in May, my second award was more or less the same. Then my 3rd award was decided quite early, and was for 3 years, but because of time the decision was made it expires in January of next year. I received the renewal forms for this award in July, and within 2 weeks I'd received a letter telling that they'd not had my forms back (not surprising, I hadn't even started filling them out by that point), and I've since had a couple more asking for my forms asap. Why the rush? I know it takes time for the decisions to be made but 7 months?. The cynic in me wonders if this is a not so subtle way to save money - if I fill the forms in as fast as it's being implied I'm expected to, and my award is either reduced or stopped, then DWP saves themselves up to 6 months worth of DLA.

Is that the idea behind it?
    Originally posted by somebody_else
    Ok, this is an easy one to answer...

Renewal forms are sent automatically by the system 6 months prior to the awards expiring. Reminders are also system issued.

When a renewal decision is made, regardless of when the actual decision is made (early or late) the date the renewal award starts is the date the previous award expires. There are execeptions to this:

Exception 1 is is the award is increased it will be back dated to the day we recieved the renewal claim form.

Exception 2 is is we disallow the claim in its entirity - the date of the decision will then be used. (eg its not normally backdated (althought it can be!))

Exception 3 is if the award is reduced (but not removed entirely) with this one, normally the renewal date still applies, unless the DM establishes a change in yourr circumstances that gives grounds to change the decision from an earlier date (normally the date of decision). This is however rare and we normally do it from the date of decision.

It sounds like your last claim (that cut 6 months) was due to one of the exceptions above - my initial reaction is that it was increased...

so the short answer is no, the aim is not to cut the award by 6 months to save money, but the current award may cut the previous award short especially when increasing the award (which actually costs us more money )
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 29th Oct 08, 4:02 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Thanatos
    Previously, when I've been awarded DLA, it's been on the basis of risk, but I think I have bodily function needs. Does the fact that the award letter only mentions risk mean that the decision maker thought that I didn't need help with bodily functions, or does it mean that they didn't think it necessary to consider it once that they had established that risk was an issue?

Also, if I need help most of the time but not all of the time because I have an episodic condition where I am ill most of the time but occasionally have a week or two where I'm not so ill, how do I fill in the boxes that say how many days a week? Can I put "varies, see below" and then put the information in the big box? Can I translate months of the year into days of the week? Or how do I do it?
    Originally posted by Sueinbirmingham
    Well, regarding the second part of the question, yes, fill in those boxes

Regarding the first part - I am not entirly sure what you mean by awarded on the basis of risk... could you elaborate - by PM if you prefer not to explain a medical condition in a public area.
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 29th Oct 08, 4:23 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Thanatos
    I have added some additonal information to the initial post, detailing what level of care qualifys you for what level of benefit. AA is just Middle and higher rate care of DLA so same qualifying criterea apply.

If anyone knows how to edit the first post so it looks nicer, let me know as simply changing the font sizes and deleting the gaps in it seem to make no difference whatsoever
    • Sueinbirmingham
    • By Sueinbirmingham 29th Oct 08, 4:26 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    Sueinbirmingham
    You are entitled because...you need to be constantly supervised...so that you do not cause substantial danger to yourself or others" (ditto night) I don't want to get it on that basis, I want to get it on the basis of needing help with bodily functions. It's not nice being told I might cause substantial danger to myself or others. But I have no idea of whether I previously established that I did indeed need help with bodily functions.
  • somebody_else
    Ok,It sounds like your last claim (that cut 6 months) was due to one of the exceptions above - my initial reaction is that it was increased...

so the short answer is no, the aim is not to cut the award by 6 months to save money, but the current award may cut the previous award short especially when increasing the award (which actually costs us more money )
    Originally posted by Thanatos
    Thank you for your answer Thanatos. Yes, that makes sense to me. You are right, there was an increase in my last award, from Higher Rate Mobility for 2 years, to HRM and Lower Rate Care for 3 years.

If someone's health were to improve slightly (mainly 'cos I'm no longer trying to hold down a full time job, having been dismissed on the grounds of my ill health), would that automatically mean that my DLA would be removed this time? Bearing in mind that as soon as I try to increase my activity levels my pain levels and the tiredness rocket, so actually I'm not really any better as such just doing less to compensate.

I'm not expecting a definitive answer here, just a general guide - i understand that you're not doing this in an official capacity so I wouldn't take anything you say as binding on DWP.
    s/e
  • steve-kaz
    renewal
    Hi
    My wifes dla is up for renewal her present claim ends early january 2009, at the moment she receives (hrm) and (lrc) my first question is this if the dm were to reduce or even decline the renewal would that take immediate affect
    or would it still run till the renewal date ?.
    my second question is if the dm were to increase the care conponant would it increase immediatly or from the renewal date ?

My wifes renewal claim has now been at blackpool for 8 weeks yesterday she
    received a letter to say they had writen to her gp how much longer do you think it will take as my wife has a car on motability and if it is'nt sorted out
    i assume the car will have to be returned, do you think it should be sorted in time?

thanks steve :confused:
    • Thanatos
    • By Thanatos 29th Oct 08, 5:03 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    Thanatos
    You are entitled because...you need to be constantly supervised...so that you do not cause substantial danger to yourself or others" (ditto night) I don't want to get it on that basis, I want to get it on the basis of needing help with bodily functions. It's not nice being told I might cause substantial danger to myself or others. But I have no idea of whether I previously established that I did indeed need help with bodily functions.
    Originally posted by Sueinbirmingham
    Ah, ok I understand... Then in answer to your original question, when the letter talks about supervision more than care/attention, what it means is that the DM felt your supervision needs were greater than your care needs - essentially the DM awarded you for those needs as he/she felt they presented a stronger case for the ward given.

That said, for about a year now we have been using a new form called an ENT1 (Electronic notification template). This is a slightly superior notification that (if completed correctly) will address all need you claimed, confirming if they were accepted or not and what the award was based on, so it should be clearer in the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

2,359Users online

Martin's Twitter