Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    GotNoRhythm
    Help for Hearing Impairment
    • 16th Oct 08, 1:12 AM
    Help for Hearing Impairment 16th Oct 08 at 1:12 AM
    Hi all,
    I thought I'd set up a thread for people (like me) with hearing impairments I have two CIC hearing aids and can't really hear much at all without them!!

I'd like to ask if anyone knows of any sort of equipment that I can use in conjunction with (or in place of) my alarm clock. I've reached a point now where I can't hear it unless I sleep with one of my hearing aids in - not ideal!!

I got funding for my hearing aids through access to work. Would this be a good place to try? (Do they still exist??! It's about 5 years since I last spoke to them!) The little company that supplied my hearing aids were wonderful but sadly don't exist anymore, and I don't like the company that bought them out (plus it's about 45 miles away from where I live)

Many thanks,
    GNR xx
    DFW Official Nerd Club #1070
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
Page 3
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 21st Oct 08, 10:50 PM
    • 40,289 Posts
    • 37,737 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Have you tried to get a T Loop system fitted to your TV, Disability Solutions fitted me one for free, its great
    Originally posted by lozzer90
    Nah, honest, my loss is really so mild, plus I've got normal hearing in the other ear. Well, so far anyway! I look at my older siblings and I think I know where I'm going ...

The two things I can't do are hold a phone to my left ear, and follow a conversation in a noisy room. But I've struggled with the latter all my life ...

Hi
    I got a vibrating alarm from disability solution its a clock which has a pad connected which goes under the pillow also i know some of the clocks have a bleeper that you carry around which can be connected to the smoke alarm & when it goes off it vibrates. If you've not got a DS near you ring the fire station & see if they can offer you anything
    Originally posted by lozzer90
    I'd consider ringing the fire station first. They're bound to know where you can get something suitable if they don't fit such things themselves.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • melmac
    I have a hearing impaired daughter who wears two hearing aids. She gets hers from the nhs. After having to ask they gave her cloured hearing aids and patterned moulds.
    I have had someone round and they gave me the smoke alarm, and loop system for hearing the tv better. they also said when she is older they will give her the alarm clock and telephone. i think they were from social services or something. maybe worth giving them a call.
    • flossy_splodge
    • By flossy_splodge 22nd Oct 08, 2:19 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    flossy_splodge
    Oh dear, reading all this about losing aids, my DF 'lost' his main aid (the one that makes a real difference!) and guess where I found it? IN THE WASHING MACHINE!! And yes, AFTER the wash cycle was complete! Am hoping it might recover but if not have to admit am seriously tempted to not mention why its not working when I get him back to Audiololgy! Is this very naughty???
    In case you are all wondering, he is in the habit of leaving his aids in his shirt top pocket...........

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
    ― John Wooden
    • mau408
    • By mau408 22nd Oct 08, 5:22 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mau408
    Eh, Eh, Ehhhh
    Alarm Clock - Having spent a good 12 years relying on hearing aids and parents waking me up for school, Social Services provided me one. This is only because one of my school teachers thought I was missing out on some of my lessons and managed to get in contact with someone (dunno where from) for a radio mike. I somehow managed to get one on loan and then got in touch with SS and got alarm clock and TV loop although the loop is more hassle than its worth with subtitles on freeview, sky and DVDs nowadays. I am also told they will also repair it if it is broken!

Fire Systems and smoke alarms - great idea but I am forewarned that they will put wires around your home in conduits that are visible. My parents are not one for liking this and as I lived in their house I have never taken this route.

Mobile phones - Theres a nokia somewhere that you can buy a loop for and house phones to amplify the incoming speaker and ring.

Hearing aid batteries - I've had these free for life from hospitals. However I'm working full time and my local new Super Hospital audiology department is only open monday till Friday 9am till 5pm. After asking the security guards on Saturday morning (whose suggestion was to take a days holiday to get new batteries) I sent in a complaints card and the reply (a month later) is that if I send a self addressed stamped envelope they will send me some! Who knows when I will get my next mould! (Maybe because I'm a tax payer I have to send my ears in and a self addressed envelope). I've always fancied a coloured one 'cause lets face it the clear one kinda goes browny yellow at the end of the day. Why don't they just make em all opaque not clear!

Anyways I posted on my local works forum asking for a clinic that provided batteries and someone replied saying I had to go to a city 10miles away.
    I wish they'd set a website up so that we could look up where we can take our little brown book to get batteries. Anyways after working for 5 years and not knowing I went into a local surgery to ask and they told me I could get batteries round the corner! Fancy that!

The audiology department last time I went in now has to specify why you want a new mould to cut down on the number of people who get new ones. However there are things that you can get new moulds for even though you don't really need a new one. I managed to get one before I got married. I mean fancy white wedding photos with a brown mould eeeugh yuk! I wonder if it works if I'm going for a job interview?! Anyone tried?

Its better to go to uni and complete a degree course as most of the modern devices are supplied out of DSA and are yours to keep if you complete the course. They provide travel alarms, door knockers, vibratin alarms for halls of residence, radio microphones - probably 2Ks worth a set and you can also get a computer if you struggle to use libraries because the computers make humming noises, and the library detectors screech. Even notetaking support to help make sure you've got everything down on paper! I got a friend to do mine and she was very grateful to have the job as a student because it helped pay her rent on her student accommodation and all she had to do was let me photocopy her lecture notes.

I've always thought myself lucky as I'd much rather be deaf than blind. I would certainly miss TV and driving. My friends call me a pensioner for having a bus pass for life.

The equal opportunities that the job centre is something or nothing, I mean I never know whether to state I'm disabled when applying for a job on the council. Would you really want to waste time to go for a job interview if you werent going to get it anyways, becasue they simply were obligated to interview you. Last week I was appalled that my local public planning committee meetings don't have loop systems. How ridiculous is that and where is the DDA when you need it?
  • hifromi
    Hi, I am a new user so not quite sure what I am doing:confused: but this is a great thread, so glad you started it, it was badly needed I did see a vibrating alarm clock to put under the pillow in TK Maxx today, I think it was only 4.99 or thereabouts. Of course it is the luck of the draw in there as to whether they have any! The fire brigade were visiting the houses in my area, (north east) to install smoke alarms etc. They said they gave out vibrating alarms for under the pillow too, but mostly if you lived or slept alone as they were more expensive.
    I also would like to point out that if you wear a hearing aid you can apply for a disabled rail card which entitles you AND any one travelling with you to 1/3rd off most fares. The card costs 18 (it might have gone up a bit since I renewed mine in July) I only had to send my brown book with the payment to get it. You can get an application for at any station or apply online. Hope this helps someone.
    P.S. I am having a bit of trouble working out the abreviations, but I guess I will get used to them
  • hifromi
    P.S. If you lose a hearing aid here I think you have to pay 60 to get it replaced, hope this helps.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 22nd Oct 08, 6:48 PM
    • 40,289 Posts
    • 37,737 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Oh dear, reading all this about losing aids, my DF 'lost' his main aid (the one that makes a real difference!) and guess where I found it? IN THE WASHING MACHINE!! And yes, AFTER the wash cycle was complete! Am hoping it might recover but if not have to admit am seriously tempted to not mention why its not working when I get him back to Audiololgy! Is this very naughty???
    In case you are all wondering, he is in the habit of leaving his aids in his shirt top pocket...........
    Originally posted by flossy_splodge
    I don't know if it's the same with hearing aids, but certainly with mobile phones there is an indicator strip which shows whether the phone's been drowned or not. So if you don't 'fess up, you may then have to play the innocent when they say "It looks as if this has been in water."
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • TinaStimson
    hearing impairment support in work and at home
    Anyone with a hearing impairment is entitled to a needs led assessment through their local Social Services deaf or sensory impairment team. Ring your local social services offices and ask where you can get a Needs Led Assessment from. This should entitle you to equipment like TV loop systems, door bells, smoke alarm systems if you live alone or you live with another deaf person, mobile phones or minicoms or some counties provide amplified phones.

You can also claim DLA if you are under 65 and AA if you are over 65 for a hearing impairment. You will have to go to the appeal stage but it will be worth it to get the benefit you are entitled to. RNID can help with advice on how to complete the forms.

Also if you are in work you are entitled to an Access to Work assessment which can provide you with equipment to assist you at work, ie amplified phones, minicom, mobile phone for text messages only, alert systems for the fire alarms and a support worker or interpreter or speech to text reporter (dont know what that is then I can explain it to you if you want) to support you with communication if that is a difficult area for you. And dont be fobbed off if you do need support with Access to Work telling you you are only entitled to 2 hours a day 2 days a week. If you work full time and you need communication suport during the day because you dont know what people are telling you you have to tell them that. It is your right to understand EVERYTHING that a person is telling you not just 2% through lipreading or asking a person to write things down.

Hope this helps
    Tina
  • GotNoRhythm
    gives people some very interesting names sometimes
    Originally posted by rosieben
    The funniest thing I ever saw on live subtitles was when the Pope reportedly 'fell on his niece'
    (It was supposed to say 'knees')
  • GotNoRhythm
    Originally posted by flossy_splodge
    As we seem to be 'fessing up' - I dropped one of mine in a car-park and found it an hour later when I went back to look for it - all smashed up on the road... I also broke one when I was out at a theme-park - I went on a roller-coaster without giving it a second thought,, and I hit the side of my head on the restraining bar which pushed the hearing aid into my ear, cracked the casing and bruised my ear canal - OUCH! Fortunately they were still under warranty and I got them fixed
  • rosieben
    The funniest thing I ever saw on live subtitles was when the Pope reportedly 'fell on his niece'
    (It was supposed to say 'knees')
    Originally posted by GotNoRhythm

lol

and subtitles for a news article this evening, about new medical help for people in the 'early stages of M&S' ...... obviously some new form of shopping addiction
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • GotNoRhythm
    lol

and subtitles for a news article this evening, about new medical help for people in the 'early stages of M&S' ...... obviously some new form of shopping addiction
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Maybe I should notify the debt-free-wanabee board??!
    • altocumulus
    • By altocumulus 23rd Oct 08, 3:19 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    altocumulus
    Anyone with a hearing impairment is entitled to a needs led assessment through their local Social Services deaf or sensory impairment team. Ring your local social services offices and ask where you can get a Needs Led Assessment from. This should entitle you to equipment like TV loop systems, door bells, smoke alarm systems if you live alone or you live with another deaf person, mobile phones or minicoms or some counties provide amplified phones.

You can also claim DLA if you are under 65 and AA if you are over 65 for a hearing impairment. You will have to go to the appeal stage but it will be worth it to get the benefit you are entitled to. RNID can help with advice on how to complete the forms.

Also if you are in work you are entitled to an Access to Work assessment which can provide you with equipment to assist you at work, ie amplified phones, minicom, mobile phone for text messages only, alert systems for the fire alarms and a support worker or interpreter or speech to text reporter (dont know what that is then I can explain it to you if you want) to support you with communication if that is a difficult area for you. And dont be fobbed off if you do need support with Access to Work telling you you are only entitled to 2 hours a day 2 days a week. If you work full time and you need communication suport during the day because you dont know what people are telling you you have to tell them that. It is your right to understand EVERYTHING that a person is telling you not just 2% through lipreading or asking a person to write things down.

Hope this helps
    Tina
    Originally posted by TinaStimson
    DLA - not if you have 'savings' above (I think) 16K.

I asked for a 'speech to text reporter' for an expected visit from our boss who was expected to take part in an open forum.
    I was told "no!!....someone will take down details of the conversations and post them later"
    and this came 2 months after a workplace assessment carried out jointly by HR department and the RNID....3 1/2 months later none of the recommendations had been put into place....and
    .....that resulted in a downward spiral that eventually resulted in my taking early retirement, at 53.... (not that I am complaining too much about it - but it goes to show it's not all plain sailing)....
    • naf123
    • By naf123 24th Oct 08, 12:49 AM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,360 Thanks
    naf123
    wow! Lovely to see a deaf forum!

I have been profoundly deaf all my life with free NHS hearing aids and batteries...(yes it is a PAIN to keep collecting batteries from the hospital which is miles away and when asking for more than 3 packs (18 batteries) I get comments like, "why do you go through so many!!" - I normally wear mines 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! - I find it a bit reassuring to sleep with at least one hearing aid!!!)

Yes, I get this OAP style travel pass which is a real moneysaver! I travel every day on the tube to uni and I do get to save quite a few bucks :-)

Contact the sensory impairment team at the council for free equipment like vibrating alarms but I have found them to be below par quality, and instead buy expensive high quality from RNID or Connavans. (using DLA money)

Gettting DLA was a pain in the neck. Took 11 months of letter writing and appeals to get DLA! Don't give up! Keep fighting for it! RNID have useful information on their website.

When I finish uni, I will really have to look into this Access for Work thing. I haven't heard much about it. How much funding do they give out? Can they literally employ someone full time to be with you for interpretation needs? (I am orally deaf, with no knowledge of sign language - yet still lipreading can be extremely difficult especially with the vast range of accents that are found nowadays!

in Uni, I got DSA, which allowed me a notetaker for my lectures.
  • rosieben
    ... lipreading can be extremely difficult especially with the vast range of accents that are found nowadays! ... .
    Originally posted by naf123
    I lost my hearing about 8 years ago and the one thing that's surprised me is how I can lipread an accent. I could really impress my dd (before she moved to Oz) by telling her that the person on tv was a scouser, scot, and so on - not always possible of course, but a surprising number of times. I suppose its because I had the advantage of hearing these accents before I lost my hearing. :confused:

Meant to say that SS have offered me an assessment visit so I may be able to get a little help with equipment. I realise it may not be the best quality but I can't afford to buy, so will be better than nothing
    Last edited by rosieben; 24-10-2008 at 1:15 AM.

• naf123
    • By naf123 24th Oct 08, 1:18 AM
    • 1,385 Posts
    • 1,360 Thanks
    naf123
    I can lipread some accents in general e.g. the general differences between an american accent and an english one. But not all of them.

It does amaze me sometimes how some deafies can lipread brilliantly rarely making mistakes!!! They are even sometimes employed by the police to lipread CCTV footage etc. I wish I could be that good - it would make life SO much easier!!
    • bluedog
    • By bluedog 24th Oct 08, 10:01 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 1,088 Thanks
    bluedog
    Apart from the usual stuff people tend to think (you're rude, stupid, ignorant etc) when first meeting them, I was told several times that I freak people out because of the intensity in which I watch people talking and they also thought I was mean and moody until realising I was actually concentrating! (Apparently I look mean and angry when deep in thought or off in my own world too!)

It wasn't until I stopped to think about it that I realised it's because I'm ok when I've got to know people, but at the beginning, I'm watching their mouth and facial movements - effectively learning to lip-read them as an individual. (I do try not to be so intense-looking now though!!)

Being able to lip read has it's moments though and makes a nice change when a hearing person asks you what has been said. My family members are keen football fans so I'm frequently asked what gets said by players and management, especially in more heated exchanges shown on telly.... .
  • rosieben
    My family members are keen football fans so I'm frequently asked what gets said by players and management, especially in more heated exchanges shown on telly.... .
    Originally posted by bluedog
    my family havent realised that advantage yet

• jodie114
    Just thought i would join in if thats alright. This is all pretty new to me, i have ok hearing in one ear, but use an nhs aid in the other. All my gp etc would do was refer me to audiology for hearing aids and batteries, so i'm not sure if there is anything out there to make things better. I have only been wearing an aid for about a year, but i can tell my hearing in that ear is getting worse when i'm not wearing it already.
    - It can be bliss though when you have a moaning 5yo, you can totally switch off!!
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 24th Oct 08, 1:49 PM
    • 7,258 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Here's a link that was posted on the freebies board might be of use to someone on this thread:
    http://www.deafbooks.co.uk/FREE-Downloads_B4-4.aspx

It's for free downloadable BSL books, these include:
    Left handed fingerspelling alphabet
    Early years verbs
    Quick reference for numbers and quite a few more.

I'm not deaf but I did do my CACDP stage 1 BSL a couple of years ago. I used to get regular practice as a girl I worked with was profoundly deaf. Sadly now I rarely get to practice as I have changed jobs, but if I do meet someone with a hearing impairment or who is deaf and I see them signing, I always make an effort to talk to them. I always end up apologising though for making mistakes as I'm so rusty! If I'm not sure of a sign for a word, I fingerspell it out, is this considered rude or is it appreciated that I'm making the effort? :confused:

Anyone care to enlighten me on this please
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,732Posts Today

6,475Users online

Martin's Twitter