Another Tesco Massive Price Increase

The Whitworths 500gm white sugar cubes which have been priced at 36p are now priced at 77p.
Before there is a plethora of postings advising me thatthis is the way of retailing, I would point out that a) the SEL did not show it as a limited offer and b) Tesco appear to be funding its claim to be Britain's biggest discounter by discounting junk food but increasing the prices on some staples. Isn't that them being a bit hypocritical ?
I am only posting this to inform other MSErs who may wish to go to their Tesco and see if they have any stock left at the lower price.:p

Comments

• deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    Ive noticed a few of Tesco own label items going up recently since they brought there new own brand discount lines with funny names to make them look like a bargain.

EG : Tesco Cola 37p now £44p, the new one whatwver its called is 39p
  • charis18uk
    charis18uk Posts: 447 Forumite
    Tesco passata sauce was 29p NOW 44p
  • heskpesk
    heskpesk Posts: 2,006 Forumite
    The Whitworths 500gm white sugar cubes which have been priced at 36p are now priced at 77p.
    Before there is a plethora of postings advising me thatthis is the way of retailing, I would point out that a) the SEL did not show it as a limited offer and b) Tesco appear to be funding its claim to be Britain's biggest discounter by discounting junk food but increasing the prices on some staples. Isn't that them being a bit hypocritical ?
    I am only posting this to inform other MSErs who may wish to go to their Tesco and see if they have any stock left at the lower price.:p

You could always shop elsewhere
  • jetty
    jetty Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    heskpesk wrote: »
    You could always shop elsewhere

i wish i could shop somewhere else, we only have a tescos :mad: altho there is talk of a new sainsburys, that will take agesssssss to build, i'd trade them both for an asda :confused:
    Man who run into airport turn-styles is going to Bangkok

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research ;)
  • unrich
    unrich Posts: 814 Forumite
    Clipper peppermint tea was 79p before the summer.

During the summer it was marked discontinued and dropped to 40p (I bought lots.)
    Recently its gone up to £1.19.

So its either a 50% increase or a 198% increase depending on where you start looking.

I've started buying from Clipper directly now and buy in bulk lots and lots of tea just so mr Tesco doesn't.
  • milliemonster
    milliemonster Posts: 3,708
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    jetty wrote: »
    i wish i could shop somewhere else, we only have a tescos :mad: altho there is talk of a new sainsburys, that will take agesssssss to build, i'd trade them both for an asda :confused:

Hmmm Sainsbury's will be much cheaper I'm sure;) (I am being sarcastic!)
    Yes this is nothing new Tesco's do it all the time, they have promotions on (like their fruit and veg pledge) and BOGOF's on junk like pizza's and dairylea dippers or dunkers or whatever they are called and then sneakily raise the price of other staples to counteract it hoping you won't notice
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • mrs_lds
    mrs_lds Posts: 4,103
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    Tesco large milk 6 pints up from £2.12 to £2.25 overnight
  • I find asda do this all the time then after a month or so do a roll back for instance. Product was 82p then hikes to £1.58 then rolls back to 79p. People think it's a huge saving but really it's just a few pence :mad::mad:
  • milliemonster
    milliemonster Posts: 3,708
    I've been Money Tipped! Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    I find asda do this all the time then after a month or so do a roll back for instance. Product was 82p then hikes to £1.58 then rolls back to 79p. People think it's a huge saving but really it's just a few pence :mad::mad:
    and while that's being rolled back, something else is being hiked up:mad:
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • felicity1
    felicity1 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Noticed the milk increase this week, we have been shopping for the 'reduced' milk for ages now and freezing but even this seems to be short on supply.

I too am fed up of seeing the Tesco ads for cheap junk food and am finding just shopping around for the cheapest produce very time consuming and energy sapping.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure