(Paging Barclays experts) Blacklisted for fraud, no recourse given

2»

Comments

• trient
    trient Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Ok, could I kindly ask everyone a favour. The bit about the bank's right to choose their customers is pretty clear. The bit where there's nothing I can do may also be correct. But that's not the information I'm looking for (although I do appreciate everyone that took their time to post such comments).

I'm actually looking for help relevant to my actual case, that's why I transcribed so much detail. So rather than giving me high level advice, with all due respect, could you please only post here if you can help me in some way.

A long while back users like BarclaysManager/Extant and So Sad Angel were giving actual insights from their place of work. They haven't been active for many years but I'm hoping there are some (other) people familiar with Barclays procedures that can chip in - hence the title.

Thank you.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    trient wrote: »
    I'm actually looking for help relevant to my actual case,

You need to understand that business works at a macro level. They'll operate using board level set criteria . If you do not pass this then the bank will decline your custom. That's the reality.

It's nothing personal and doesn't impact you personally in anyway. Digging around at the micro level will get you absolutely nowhere.

If you ever want a relationship with Barclays in the future. Best to let go of the bone. The more irratating customers become the greater the likelihood that the blacklisting will become indefinate.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 26 August 2019 at 6:21PM
    Without wanting to be glib or unhelpful; the "high level" advice you received so far has been correct, as is the general consensus that you should accept Barclays' decision - as unfair as you feel it is - and move on.
    Given what I'm seeing in the notepads I'm sure at this point for all intents and purposes I'm blacklisted - but what can I do about it?

Nothing. If the bank required proof of income or wanted to ask you questions they would have done so. The fact that they completed their internal review and came to a decision reflects the finality of that decision. Even without a CIFAS marker you will probably be barred from banking with Barclays for the time they are required to retain customer records, i.e. 6 years minimum.
    How can I find out more about why they think I've committed fraud, and clarify the situation?

You can't, I'm afraid. This may constitute tipping-off or else compromise Barclays internal decision making process.
    Should I try to call the numbers mentioned in the notepads and discuss with the Falcons?

Those are numbers for internal use only. You could call them, somebody would pick up, but being unable to pass internal security they quickly would end the conversation.
    Go to the FOS?

You can try. As your dealings with Barclays don't seem to have left any adverse credit history I don't feel you could claim to have been impacted in any way. I suppose you could argue the SAR did not meet requirements?

Again, I sympathise, but I don't see this being a good use of your time. [edit] I just read through your previous thread - what did Ashok Vaswani say when you contacted him last month?
    : )
  • What are you actually hoping to achieve out of all of this?

They don’t want you as a customer.

Move on to someone who does.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

I'm actually looking for help relevant to my actual case, that's why I transcribed so much detail. So rather than giving me high level advice, with all due respect, could you please only post here if you can help me in some way.
    Whilst you may not like to responses you have got, people have gone to the trouble to read your posts and to respond to them. This is an open forum where anyone can post whether you like what they say or whether you don't.
  • trient
    trient Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Without wanting to be glib or unhelpful; the "high level" advice you received so far has been correct, as is the general consensus that you should accept Barclays' decision - as unfair as you feel it is - and move on.
    !!! wrote: »
    What are you actually hoping to achieve out of all of this?

I don't really like to take no for an answer. The same reason why I have a can-do attitude with my customers, and it's been a pretty good strategy for 20+ years so far. So I think it's reasonable to try to exhaust all avenues even if only just to make sure it wasn't because of miscommunication/misunderstanding.
    colsten wrote: »
    Whilst you may not like to responses you have got, people have gone to the trouble to read your posts and to respond to them. This is an open forum where anyone can post whether you like what they say or whether you don't.

I'm sorry if I might have come across the wrong way, my note was never meant to be rude or patronising - just indicating the type of advice I was looking for.
    I just read through your previous thread - what did Ashok Vaswani say when you contacted him last month?

I hadn't contacted him at that point as I was waiting for my SAR results to come back. I did write him now, and I also wrote a number of other VPs in the area of fraud and risk management. I was pleasantly surprised to hear back from most of them, and they were most helpful in getting executive customer support assistance with my inquiry.

I am happy to report that a few days later they contacted me to let me know the review process reverted the original decision, and while they were not able to tell me what it is that they thought there could have been wrong, they removed the marker on my profile and are now expecting me in branch to open up an account.

So in the end I would say it was worth it. Many thanks for everyone that chipped in with comments/suggestions etc. If anyone needs to follow a similar process in the future I'll be happy to assist.
  • TiberUK
    TiberUK Posts: 57 Forumite
    I don't understand why you are so hell bent on being a Barclays customer
  • I don’t get why the persistence with them - there’s so many better banks out there.
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    When they refer to Barclaycard Northampton it’s because their offices in Northampton are addresses as Barclaycard but they have numerous Barclays departments operating from there, including certain fraud departments
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure