LED light bulbs

1282930313234»

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 February 2015 at 10:37PM
    I saw displays of 6 packs of 2700k 5w TCP LEDs in Asda at £18. They'll sell out fast as 5W at £3 a pop is good if backed by a large retailer.

Meanwhile I have tried 4W Megaman 2700ks and Ikea 2700ks. They do seem to match halogens but are not quite as attractive. With exposed fittings I find that the side light leakage from halogen GU10s is an advantage to brighten the ceiling a bit.

Now the Ikea 5W 2700k one I really like, but it has a front protrusion section. So won't fit flush enclosures for example. But the protrusion is illuminated and brightens said ceiling. Have a single such GU10 (aimed at mirror) nicely lighting a small bathroom.

PS elstimpo, I prefer your LED photo as being a cleaner, but still warm white.
  • jonesjw
    jonesjw Posts: 201 Forumite
    Remember reliability is a factor.
    I ordered 4 Interlux 3w GU10's in February 2013.
    There has been a total of 4 failures, although I received 3 free replacements from the retailer & have 3 in operation.

I purchased 2 "MiniSun" GU10s in February 2013 and have had zero failures.

Considering average daily use and the contribution of the 50W halogens to heading the room, I probably need at least 18months life to break even.
  • elstimpo
    elstimpo Posts: 424 Forumite
    edited 26 February 2015 at 11:15AM
    buglawton wrote: »

PS elstimpo, I prefer your LED photo as being a cleaner, but still warm white.

Ok, well thats down to personal preference and everyones eyes sees things differently, but it's a completely different colour, feel and quality of light to a halogen and in my opinion shouldn't be able to be advertised as warm white.

It is absolutely not a 'perfect halogen replacement'.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Those Asda ones linked are terrible. 250 lumens is barely a replacement for 35W before you even look at the CRI.
    Cheap, yes. Good, no. Homebase sell TCP stuff too, high prices but low light.
  • I had the same struggle before when my old bulbs burnt out. So, I did a lot of research and gathered suggestions from friends on what and where to buy new bulbs so I won't experience that hassle anymore. Until I found these bulbs from Triangle Bulbs as I was looking for LEDs online. I bought them and boom, they are amazing. The light quality is perfect, the product is durable, and it's true that they are really energy efficient. My power savings became really noticeable. Worth recommending. Worth your money.

Unfortunately, I cannot post the links for now because I'm just a new user. However, you can search Triangle Bulbs on Amazon. I'm sure all of their products work great.
  • LED lights really at present only make any sort of sense in high use areas - like kitchen mentioned above where they might be left on all day for instance

————————————————————————————————————
    The 16th China International Lighting Fair (Autumn Fair) will be held from 22-26 October
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    nathes2016 wrote: »
    LED lights really at present only make any sort of sense in high use areas - like kitchen mentioned above where they might be left on all day for instance

————————————————————————————————————
    The 16th China International Lighting Fair (Autumn Fair) will be held from 22-26 October

....and how have you arrived at that conclusion?
  • madget wrote: »
    Dan, please could you let me know which 60 LED GU 10 bulbs those are? I'd love to replace the halogens in our kitchen and they sound pretty good.

Just have a read of this article - https://well-lit.co.uk/replacinghalogens-gu10led/

I tried lots of LED's in my home and they either failed quickly or made everything look pretty dull. I saw a few recommendations for well-lit on here and these guys are head and shoulders above everyone else. I'd also highly recommend reading their FAQ's too - https://well-lit.co.uk/faq/
  • I love my ikea Jansjö led lamp but recently discovered -
    "Note that the power switch on these lights switches the secondary side, so the power supply is always on when it's plugged in."
    Meaning that if the plug is switched on the lamp draws 2 watts even if the light is off at the inline switch.
    Not a disaster but annoying as my 3watt lamp became a 48watt lamp (until I discovered and now switch it at the plug!)
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 15 August 2017 at 1:51PM
    Not sure why you've dug up a two year old thread. My laptop charger is always on. When plugged into the laptop it uses 38 watts. When not plugged in it uses 0.2 watts.

Not sure how old your lamps are. If relatively new they will comply to this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Watt_Initiative

Did your 3 watt lamp really become a 48 watt lamp or have you misunderstood something?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure