Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gemmaking
    • By gemmaking 25th Jan 13, 6:45 AM
    • 414Posts
    • 22Thanks
    gemmaking
    How long to ESA decisions take, after questionaires are sent back?
    • 25th Jan 13, 6:45 AM
    How long to ESA decisions take, after questionaires are sent back? 25th Jan 13 at 6:45 AM
    Asking on behalf of a client who is in the process of filling in her ESA form.
    changing form IS to this,

Their support worker says there is a high change they ill qualify for the support group. (with the avoidance of a called in interview)

min - max weeks/months range ?

If you got in the support group, how long did your decision take to get made ?
Page 2
  • kazzah60
    Then you were very lucky - mine described me in a report to the DWP as "arrogant, awkward and obstructive".

As soon as I met the assessor it was 'daggers drawn' - let the best man win!!!
    Originally posted by satarical

well, I am probably sticking my head above the parapet - ready to get shot down - but is it in any way possible that you came across as arrogant, awkward and obstructive to the HCP ?

I went in very nervous and embarrassed about speaking about my condition and she was lovely, put me at my ease. My husband answered a question once and she nicely but firmly told him she needed ME to answer- I guess we could have got all shirty - but she was right - she did need to hear it from me

I have read some horrendous reports about medicals - so I was nervous - but I had a good outcome, so for me the experience was OK
  • Brassedoff
    Completed mine on the 20th September 2012, got a letter informing me of support group on 18th January.

Got a further letter the day after informing me my total award was credits of 5.75 a day later as I get no ESA, HB etc.

Don't know why I bothered!
  • satarical
    Ok it's late at night and I am probably missing something vital - but how is it better to submit no evidence, have a meeting , get turned down and have to appeal, rather than sending in the evidence and getting the correct outcome straight away?

surely for the poster- their outcome was ideal for them?
    Originally posted by kazzah60
    Put it this way, why do you think that ATOS want you to do all of the work and gather the evidence?

ATOS know what the public think of them, so by being a little clever and asking you to do the work that they should do, they can claim that at last they are getting it right first time. You are simply enabling them to look good.

ATOS hasn't changed, it's just that you are ending up doing the work that they are paid to do!

Nothing will change if people like you are enabling them. The truth is still the same - it's just getting hidden now.

If say everyone submitted all of their evidence, can you just imagine what ATOS would be like - the politicians would be crowing that things have now improved dramatically.

We have to keep on bringing ATOS to book, helping them to do their job will never prove that they are a complete waste of space.

Does it really matter if you have to have a F2F, or they report a load of lies or that you fail the assessment?
    What does matter is that their inability to do the job they are paid to do is constantly brought to the attention of the Tribunal Service. Flood the system with appeals!!

I'm sorry but your attitude is one that you don't care about the system or those that fail just as long as you don't get any hastle and you are awarded what you think you should have. Totally selfish!!
  • satarical
    well, I am probably sticking my head above the parapet - ready to get shot down - but is it in any way possible that you came across as arrogant, awkward and obstructive to the HCP ?

I went in very nervous and embarrassed about speaking about my condition and she was lovely, put me at my ease. My husband answered a question once and she nicely but firmly told him she needed ME to answer- I guess we could have got all shirty - but she was right - she did need to hear it from me

I have read some horrendous reports about medicals - so I was nervous - but I had a good outcome, so for me the experience was OK
    Originally posted by kazzah60
    No doubt I did. But ATOS are there to do a job - assess me for ESA, and not give an opinion to the DWP as to my conduct.
    Whenever I deal with 'authority' yes I can be 'upfront'. I certainly will not accept an under qualfied individual talk to me in the manner and tone as he did. How I talk and deal with people should have no bearing on the outcome. If the guy doesn't like the fact that I will not be spoken down to that is his problem. Yes the assessment did get just a little bit personal at times.

I went in on my own the last time and intend to do so again this time round. My wife stays in the waiting room - she is not being assessed so she is not required to be a party to it.
    Last edited by satarical; 02-02-2013 at 1:36 AM.
    • gemmaking
    • By gemmaking 8th Feb 13, 12:42 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    gemmaking
    I sent my ESA form in on 28/12/12 (didn't actually have to be in until mid-January) and have just today got the letter informing me I've been put into the support group.
    Originally posted by Parva
    Was this a first claim? or renewual ?
    • Simmouk
    • By Simmouk 24th Jul 13, 11:24 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Simmouk
    I applied for ESA in August last year after having a nervous breakdown, I received the medical questionnaire in November 2012, filled in and returned within a week. In the mean time have had counselling, and been referred to psychiatrist. Have been diagnosed with severe depression, Anxiety, rejection, yada yada. My condition has got worse and led to attempted suicide and severe weight loss.
    I got my first appointment for medical on 1st of may 2013, which was then cancelled by them on the day, second appointment on 15th may 2013, again cancelled by them on the day, third appointment on the 4th june 2013, again cancelled by them on the day. Forth appointment 25th June, which they tried to cancel on the day but i told them they were making my health worse and that i refused to let them cancel. I took evidence to the appointment from my CPN and GP and the doctor who saw me at the appointment said " Your really not well are you"
    Now waiting for decision, so all in all been the process for 11 months
    • gilly56
    • By gilly56 26th Jul 13, 12:53 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    gilly56
    To keep cancelling your appointments like that is a disgrace. Hope it goes well for you and you don't have long to wait for the result. I have heard of appeals taking up to one year, but 11 months for an initial application seems excessive indeed.
    • Saversue
    • By Saversue 26th Jul 13, 2:33 PM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 24,284 Thanks
    Saversue
    It took 4 weeks and 4 days to get my ESA Support Group (No Medical) from the day the forms were due back on 14th June. Sent them to arrive a few days before due by Recorded Delivery.
    Got a phone call on 16th July and the letter on 19th July.
    • SailorSam
    • By SailorSam 26th Jul 13, 3:12 PM
    • 21,172 Posts
    • 36,772 Thanks
    SailorSam
    I posted my Esa50 form off yesterday, so it seems i'm in for quite a long wait. When i read another thread on here earlier that Atos is to lose their monopoly i thought maybe that will be a good thing if they're running scared making to many mistakes.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Kavalactone
    It took 4 weeks for me to hear back. They sent a letter just telling me I've been moved from the Work Group to the Support Group with no medical required.
  • johngis
    In my view this is a big mistake. I sent in six letters with my ESA50 - one each from my consultant, CPN, Occupational therapist, GP and two friends and Atos dealt with my case with out the need for a face to face assessment. I passed and was put into the support group. In the ESA85A Atos state that they used my letters as evidence in coming to their decision.
    Originally posted by Pippin12

An ESA 85A is a report from an Atos assessor on a claimant's limited capability for work/work related activity without a face to face assessment.

The Atos assessor's prognosis is only a recommendation which can be, and frequently is, over-ridden by a Jobcentreplus decision maker.

Jobcentreplus decision maker, makes the final decision, not Atos.
    • outtawork
    • By outtawork 31st Aug 13, 5:51 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    outtawork
    l re applied for ESA in in Oct following a failed tribunal, citing a change of circumstances, sent back the ESA50 questionnaire 27th Feb & I am still waiting to hear when l will have the medical.l am still receiving the basic ESA payment plus low rate care for DLA.
    • outtawork
    • By outtawork 4th Oct 13, 11:00 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    outtawork
    Finally got my medical, 9th Oct. which is almost a year since l re applied for ESA & 7 months since l sent back the ESA50. Had an MRI for my back recently as l have 2 slipped discs as well, but the results won't be here in time.
    • outtawork
    • By outtawork 9th Oct 13, 4:32 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    outtawork
    Well my appointment was today & it got cancelled. Not to worry though l have time to get the results of the MRI scan & a letter of support from my doctor.
    • LostandAfraid
    • By LostandAfraid 10th Oct 13, 12:20 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    LostandAfraid
    I am being migrated from income support,they have had my form for over 16 weeks now,my husband calls them and they say there is a massive backlog so I have no idea when I will hear anything.

At the beginning of August they told him that they had sent out a report to my gp and had got it all back okay but when we were last in to see my gp we asked about it and she said she had not received any report to fill in,my husband rang them when we got home and they admitted they had never sent one and said that we should never have been told they had!

Can't help feeling the whole thing is a mess,my gp wrote a supporting letter,she stated in that letter exactly how my illness affects me and that I need supervision for the majority of the time for my own safety amongst other things,honestly I know they are busy but mine is hardly rocket science,read what the gp wrote,actually believe her because it is more than her job is worth to lie and let's be honest why on earth would she lie anyway and process it!

Sorry I know I sound angry but this whole thing is bringing me down so much and I actually find it quite cruel that despite knowing how ill people are they are making it a whole lot worse by adding stress to a situation that is already painful enough and treating people like liars.

They told my husband to forward additional evidence to the 'scrutiny team',they make me feel like a criminal and how they could think that most people would actually go through this if there was any other choice is beyond me,honestly go through this or go to work? I know what I would rather do but I am not able to take the second option so I have to go through this,this is not something I would do if I was honestly well enough to work,i would love to have that choice but they make me feel like all of this is something I wanted in life.
  • outlooks
    My situation is my social worker sent ESA50 back 17 weeks ago and I have heard absolute nothing since, My only thought is because I was under section and in hospital at the time it was sent they are waiting for me to get better then fail me.

I don't have the luxury to ring them as I have a financial appointee who deals with the monetary side of things, Keep ringing social worker up and he says everything will be fine, No news is good news, eg. Community nurse says same thing but its not stopping me getting more worried and worried about things.
    • Parva
    • By Parva 10th Oct 13, 4:06 AM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 1,439 Thanks
    Parva
    My situation is my social worker sent ESA50 back 17 weeks ago and I have heard absolute nothing since, My only thought is because I was under section and in hospital at the time it was sent they are waiting for me to get better then fail me.

I don't have the luxury to ring them as I have a financial appointee who deals with the monetary side of things, Keep ringing social worker up and he says everything will be fine, No news is good news, eg. Community nurse says same thing but its not stopping me getting more worried and worried about things.
    Originally posted by outlooks
    So phone them then. Don't give this story about not being able to, come on, do I have to find the number for you?

EDIT: Further to this, I gather you are still in receipt of benefits thus far?
    Last edited by Parva; 10-10-2013 at 4:09 AM.
  • outlooks
    So phone them then. Don't give this story about not being able to, come on, do I have to find the number for you?

EDIT: Further to this, I gather you are still in receipt of benefits thus far?
    Originally posted by Parva
    Thanks but I really am unable to phone them because all my benefits letters get sent to my appointee at social services, They give me a set amount of money a week to live off. I used to look after my own money but after a bad bipolar episode it was thought best I have an appointee which is working out okayish because its their responsibility to sort my benefits out.
    • LostandAfraid
    • By LostandAfraid 10th Oct 13, 11:14 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    LostandAfraid

Originally posted by outlooks
    Try not to think like that outlooks,i don't think they are waiting for you to get better to fail you,i honestly think they genuinely do have a huge backlog in some areas,i have heard a lot of talk about people in some areas waiting for months so I do believe they are weighed down.

I think perhaps they hope people might recover whilst waiting which would obviously be lovely if it did happen but although I doubt them on a lot of things I don't doubt that they are simply very behind and those of us with a benefit in place wont be a priority because we already have something although I hate that fear as each payment day approaches in case something has happened and it's not there!
  • jonip11
    i received a text saying that my new esa has been awarded,could anyone tell me what happens next please?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,950Posts Today

7,090Users online

Martin's Twitter